D70 driver

marcofrancardi

PTP on the D70 shouldn't require a driver for XP. 2000 and earlier required it, though, and the filename is NkCtlPTP.inf - renamed to OEM##.inf when installed in %WINDIR%\INF.

It may also be stored in \Program Files\Common Files\Nikon\Driver\PTPControl

I believe it is installed with Nikon Capture and potentially View as well.

To be exact, Windows XP provides a generic USB driver for any external USB storage device, including D70. It does not provide, or does not need to provide driver specific for D70.

Nikon free software like Picture Project, or Picture View provide basic functionality that includes transferring pictures from the D70 camera to computer via USB cable.

For a US$99 you can get Nikon software that allows complete control of D70 from your computer via USB cable. Perfect for studio instant feedback work etc.

If you have an USB Compact Card memory reader attached to your computer, you do not need any Nikon software to transfer pictures. Just remove memory from D70 and plug into the reader, and your pictures are available by standard Windows Explorer copy and paste operation.

In fact, you do not need any software at all. When you plug in USB cable from camera to your computer and your camera is ON, Windows XP, after few seconds, will detect USB memory in your camera and will detect your pictures in the camera as well, and will present a dialog listing all applications installed on your computer capable of transferring files via USB port. One of the is something like Microsoft Scan or Microsoft Picture Viewer (though I never used them), and the list includes Photoshop, Canon Zoom Browser, Nikon Picture Project and other software capable of USB file transfers, that you may have already installed on your Windows XP. Just try them.

Thanks all. That's all true and fine to me, but to use Nikon Camera Control Feature you need a driver even with XP. It's not just a mass storage universal USB driver or a firmware to load in the camera, it is a dedicated driver. Infact, Nikon provides it for many "coolpixes" and for the D1 series. I think Chris is right, but I can't find any other driver than the one for the D1 series on my laptop. I'll keep surfing the web. The ftp nikon site is very faulty. Thanks anyway.

I'm deeply sorry folks. I've got it all wrong. It IS a generic USB driver with an updated Vendor and Product ID in a XP environment. It was properly loaded but was conflicting with my scanner driver using same resouces. Unfortunately Nikon online documentation on the subject is somewhat misleading, providing drivers for W98 through XP all in one package.

Thanks anyway and pardon me for your wasted time.