D600 sensor tilted?

wogears

Hello all:

I have a problem with my D600. With a large selection of lenses, OEM and third-party, if I shoot a flat object in landscape orientation (tripod, camera level), the top of the image is invariably softer than the bottom. The difference is not small. I've come to be fairly sure that the sensor is somehow tilted. The lens mount is secure, no loose screws, and the camera shows no sign of any impact damage--not even a scratch. I called Nikon repair, and they suggested I try a two-button reset, which sounds silly. If that fails, they want me to send a few sample images.

Two questions for this group. Has anyone seen or heard of this problem? If so, what was done about it, if anything. Is there any possibility that a reset would make the slightest difference? Attached are two 100% screen grabs to demonstrate the problem.leftside.JPG.afbfbecec2390d06ffc70c359dcede8e.JPG rightside.JPG.89e477b5ccf7142d456d72a7c9350202.JPG

Nikon has replaced the D600 by the D610 a long time ago. Has you D600 been showing this problem from the beginning (since your ownership) or it is more a recent development?

If the lens is not completely perpendicular to the sensor, the more likely scenario is that your lens mount is slightly bent upon some kind of impact, rather than the sensor being tilted. If the two-button reset doesn't fix it, it is probably best to have a technician check it out.

Nikon has replaced the D600 by the D610 a long time ago. Has you D600 been showing this problem from the beginning (since your ownership) or it is more a recent development?

If the lens is not completely perpendicular to the sensor, the more likely scenario is that your lens mount is slightly bent upon some kind of impact, rather than the sensor being tilted. If the two-button reset doesn't fix it, it is probably best to have a technician check it out.

I'll send Nikon the test images they want tomorrow, and see if the camera should be sent in. I bought this used, so there could maybe have been some kind of damage, but its certainly not visible.

Over a decade ago, once the strap on my camera bag came off. The entire bag with one camera and lens attached inside fell onto the ground from waist level. The body was a heavy D2X and the impact slightly bent the mount on the lens' side, and from that point on every image was not in focus on one side. Another symptom was that some of the AF points stopped working with that lens. However, the lens mount damage was not at all visible. If the sensor is tilted, it would not affect the regular AF system.

Nikon charged me like $135 to fix the lens mount.

I have a D600 with a lot of miles on it. It's been retired to the backup bench, but it is a decent full-frame camera, of course. I've knocked it around a lot, and apparently knocked it one too many times. I experienced what appears to be exactly the same symptoms - an out-of-focus (or, DIFFERENTLY focused) image on one end of the frame. I was initially worried that I'd de-centered a lens, but the problem was present on all of them, more noticeable of course when shooting with a larger aperture. It became evident that the frame/mount had taken a hit, and Nikon agreed. I shipped it to Nikon, and they replaced the lens mount for about $300. While they had it, because it's a D600 and they had a special program to address some complaints about oil spatter on the sensor ... they replaced my well-used camera's entire shutter mechanism. So, it's essentially a brand new camera for $300. Not bad as a backup body that I know I can rely on for a while yet.

BTW, it does look as though the lens mount is the problem.

The sensor is well protected in the middle of the DSLR body. Unless you slam the camera with a sledgehammer, it is very unlikely that you'll dislocate it. The lens mount is far more exposed and we attach lenses to it. If you have a longer lens mounted, some pressure on the front end of the lens will generate a lot of torque on the mount.

Since the OP acquired this D600 used, the damage could have easily occurred during the previous ownership.

On my D700 I noticed a shift in focus in "handheld" LiveView mode between what was seen on the screen and the taken image. Weird!

"Tripod" LiveView works as expected, so I just stopped using the handheld version.

I never have figured out how the sensor plane could effectively shift between LiveView preview and image.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the OP's problem, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced anything similar with a D700.

Oh, forgot to mention. This was with manual focussing, so there's no question of AF jumping during the taking process.

Well, after a back-and-forth with Nikon, I decided that before I spent any money, I would set up the most rigorous tests I could. Everything seems okay! I have no idea what went on, whether it was operator error, operator stupidity, or something else. At any rate, thanks to all for helping, and apologies for wasting people's time.

Les