D600 Sensor Spots Appear Again - Any one with same issue

hemant_deshmukh1

<p>Hi All,</p>

<p>Received sensor cleaned D600 from Nikon about 4 weeks back (Shutter mechanism replaced, Sensor cleaned) . After 700-800 shots oil blobs appear again, also Camera Hot Shoe malfunctions with external flash ( after Nikon servicing my camera). Called up Nikon USA, sent them sample they advised to send camera back along with my speedlight. I am sure they will take another 4-5 weeks to clean/fix it again.<br>

Question : Has any one experienced same spot reappearance issue after Nikon Service ( Had read one thread where Nikon Australia giving an option of refund or buying D800 with difference of price) . Please advise what should I do ? I have lost faith in the system. Thinking of writing to Costco to return my entire set back (not sure after 8 month after buying it they will honor this return.)<br>

I have used many Nikon cameras for last 26 years, starting from FM/FM2/FE/FE2/FG/N65/80,D50 now D600 I was never so disappointed.<br>

Any advise from experts will help.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I had to send my D800 back twice to repair the left AF issue until they got it right. I was without my body for about the same amount of time (fortunately I have a good backup) so I understand your frustration. You will be happier once the camera is functioning correctly.</p>

<p>If you are happy with your body aside from this issue, just send it in to be re-serviced. Hopefully you have a backup for the time it was away. I am not sure what other options you have. Are they offering you any kind of exchange or upgrade?</p>

<p>I have read several reports from users that had their D600 serviced - only to have the oil spots re-appear after a short while. To me this indicates that even after exchanging shutter and possibly the mirror assembly, the problem isn't fixed and that Nikon doesn't have a good handle on a solution to the issue at all (and I am not talking about some dust spots that are normal and generally easy to clean - this is oil-splatter that is an inherent problem). Warranty on some D600 is about to expire - and whether or not Nikon will then start charging for the service is as of yet unknown.</p>

<p>If you like the camera, you can either opt for a re-service (and probably a few more in the future), or as Shun suggests, deal with the cleaning yourself. I know of several users that go this route (and are generally happy with the camera) - question is whether or not you are willing to deal with it. If you are - like I know I would be - unwilling to cope with what I consider a defective camera - then I would try to find out if Nikon is willing to make a trade or if Costco is going to take the camera back.</p>

<p>Hi, Shun (and anyone else who might be able to answer). Does wet-cleaning--say with the Copperhill Sensor Swabs and Eclipse--actually get the oil spots off?</p>

<p>I don't own a D600, but I am interested in it. I've held off in large part owing to the reports of recurrent oil on the sensor. I don't mind cleaning the sensor myself--I do it when necessary with my D300--and if removing the oil spots can be done that way, rather than solely through a time-consuming return of the camera to Nikon, it would mitigate one of the barriers to my actually possibly purchasing one.</p>

<p>Thanks for any info.</p>

Bernard: I recently wet cleaned the sensors of two older DSLRs (a D300 & D700) for the first time. After years of not doing more than simply blowing the sensors clean with a blower bulb every few months, I decided to do some image tests and observed a few different types of spots and debris.

Magnification and close inspection of the test images revealed some marks that looked like the usual irregularly-shaped dry dust or lint-type squiggles. I also noticed a couple of perfectly round, transluscent marks that looked like oil, or some other kind of fluid, deposited on the sensor's surface over time. I never noticed strange things appearing in my images with either of these two cameras, but now that we're all so paranoid about debris on the sensor I thought it was time to take immediate action.

I used a cleaning fluid from Visible Dust designed to clean both water and oil-based deposits, and two different sizes of cleaning swabs for both the DX and FX sensors. Both sensors came out absolutely spotless, with zero visible marks on all subsequent test images, even under extreme magnification and examination. The entire process only took a few minutes and was extremely simple; I should have done it years ago. Now I'll probably do it at least once a year with all sensors.

I ordered the items from Amazon and got them in just a couple of days. They probably cost more than they should, but it's a heck of lot cheaper than having it done by a repairperson, or waiting weeks to get your camera back from Nikon if under warranty. You can read about the various types of sensor cleaning fluid formulas, and the sizes of swabs you will need for your camera's sensor, at the Visible Dust site:

http://visibledust.com/WetCleaningManual.php

<p>Hi</p>

<p>I am going to talk to Nikon tomorrow. Not sure how do I talk to some one at supervisor or manager level. Last time they took more than 20 minutes to connect to supervisor. May be I will talk about exchange or return camera to costco.<br>

I love D600, excellent camera but these issues are really creating hassle for me. I just want to know if any one has traded back the camera with Nikon USA and what should be the formal approach.<br>

Shun: I have not tried any cleaning myself. These are not dust but oil spots. Also I had this camera back from service only 4 weeks back. It is under warranty till mid December. Also my Hotshoe is not functioning properly after last service.</p>

<p>First of all, I don't own a D600, so I have no long-term experience with one. When the D600 was first available in September, 2012, Nikon USA sent me a test sample that I used for close to two months. As I have pointed out a few times before, I never noticed any unusual dust/oil problems until Roger Cicala's article popped up: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00axxj">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00axxj</a></p>

<p>My take is that the D600's design may be more prone to some dust/oil issue. However, some dust/oil is going to happen to any DSLR. I would wet clean it a few times. Part of the "problem" with the D600 is that since its oil problem is so widely discussed, a lot more people tend to check it at f22, etc. And if you shoot at f22, any DSLR is going to show more dust issues.</p>

<p>I suggest you read this discussion and especially Steve Bingham and Matt Laur's experience with their D600: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00bshL">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00bshL</a></p>

<p>To the OP, if the hot shoe has an issue, it definitely has to be fixed. If wet cleaning doesn't correct the oil problem, I would send it back to Nikon. And if Nikon cannot fix that after another try, I would put pressure on them to replace your D600 with a new one. Clearly there are good, problem-free D600 bodies around. There is no reason that yours is not like that.</p>

<p>Hi, Sergio! That mirrors my own experience with the D300. A good swabbing leaves the sensor in pretty much pristine condition. (Because I shoot stuff like clubs and professional boxing, where the heat and humidity can get quite high and lead to dust particles and other things getting stuck to the sensor and not coming off with a simple blast of air, I bought a cleaning kit a long time ago.)</p>

<p>However, what I'd really like to know about is the D600. Apparently some design flaw causes it to repeatedly deposit oil from some part of the shutter/mirror assembly on the sensor--something my D300 never did (and which it seems the D800 doesn't do, either). </p>

<p>If this oil can be cleaned up by a simple DIY process then, while a bit irritating, it wouldn't be an insuperable difficulty in owning a D600--so long as you were resigned to giving it a good clean regularly. However, if it can't be removed by the standard sensor-cleaning kits, and will require a trip (or repeated voyages) back to Nikon to remedy, then steering clear of the camera until they get it permanently fixed seems the wise move.</p>

<p>So I'm hoping someone who's owned the D600, had the oil spot problem, and has attempted to clean it themselves can offer us some information as to how satisfactory that process is. Cheers!</p>

<p>And, by the way, I've read all the claims and counterclaims about the D600 and the oil issue. Yeah, it seems that some people have had the problem--and most, probably, haven't. However, there <em>is</em> enough anecdotal evidence that suggests the problem does exist in some cameras that it's worth considering, for a piece of kit which is a rather significant investment.</p>

<p>If there indeed is a problem, and it can be remedied by an occasional do-it-yourself sensor cleaning, then really--it <em>isn't</em> a problem, at least so far as I'm concerned. But I would like to hear a bit of first hand experience from someone who has dealt with it.</p>

<p>What I find troubling about this thread and this one by R Bond:<br>

<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00bsrn">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00bsrn</a></p>

<p>is the common theme of equipment sent to Nikon and returned without the problem being resolved or with new problems/damage. It mirrors my experience with Nikon a few years ago.<br>

<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00UKqc">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00UKqc</a></p>

<p><a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00UVod">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00UVod</a></p>

<p><a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00UcQ3">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00UcQ3</a></p>

<p>In this case the problem was not corrected and the flash shoe was damaged. True the flash shoe could have been damaged in the return shipment (we know it worked when the camera arrived at Nikon, or it would not have passed inspection), but that would imply faulty packaging by Nikon. If the camera was not damaged in return shipment, Nikon's quality control is lacking.</p>

<p>In R Bond's case it was sloppy workmanship and poor quality control.</p>

<p>Sloppy workmanship from Nikon factory repair, on both the East and West coast, is troubling. Nikon makes great equipment, but it is expensive - expensive enough so if it fails it is worth repairing in many cases. Nikon USA has restricted the sale of repair parts and forced many independent repair shops to stop working on Nikon equipment, leaving users with few choices except Nikon. If the Nikon repair service has become unreliable, I for one will have to reconsider purchasing Nikon equipment.</p>

<p>It is troubling. </p>

<p>A few things:<br>

- I sent my D600 back to Nikon for cleaning of oil spots. A couple of days ago I noticed what I thought were oil spots again, but they disappeared when I used a blower so they must have been dust - are you sure yours is oil ? <br>

- I have read that the standard Nikon fix for oil spots was to replace the mirror box, as that's where the excess oil comes from. When I had my sensor cleaned Nikon did not volunteer to do this and at the time I was not aware or I would have asked about it.<br>

- Having never had any oil or dust problems with my old D200, I am presuming that at least part of the D600's problem is the fact that it has twice as many pixels. I am guessing I just never noticed them on the D200.</p>

<p>The D600 oil/dust problem is unique to the D600. It is not the same as other random dust that's gets into DLSRs. It is very simple to prove. Every complaint about this problem on the D600 that I have read, and I have read a lot of them, the oil/dust shows up In the exact same location. There is 100% a design flaw, of some kind, with this camera. I own one and had the problem. I'm waiting to see if it returns. I love the camera and would buy another one, but that does not change the fact there is a problem. A problem that should not happen on a $2000 camera.</p>

<p>I'm sorry, I know Shun likes to throw out the "only really a problem at f/22" statement when addressing this issue, but this problem is visible at almost all f stops. Shun states he dose not own a D600 and only tested a factory test unit, so I can only assume that he is assuming the problem is only able to be seen at f/22 since he dose not shoot a D600. Yes, at f/22 you will see at least some dust on most DLSRs, but it is random dust, not all in one spot, on every unit that is having the issue.</p>

<p>Anyway, it is what it is. There are a few resent threads on this issue. Check them out.</p>

<p>I just rented a D600 from LensRentals.com. Out of the box, with 16,173 on the shutter, I did the ..blue sky @F22.. to check for sensor dirt. There was none. After 600-800 shots I tested again, and the black blobs appeared on the upper left of sensor. I cleaned with my rocket blower, and used the Auto Clean all the time I had the camera. When I sent it back the sensor was filthy all over. The D600 has a design flaw of some kind.<br>

I will say that the camera has great IQ, and is pretty good at high ISO. I would not buy a D600 at this time because of the design flaw. If Nikon can come up with a solution to the problem I MIGHT reconsider.<br>

I have a D2x, D200, D300, & D700. I have never wet cleaned any of my cameras. To say that wet cleaning on a regular basis is normal, is pure BS, IMO.<br>

Good luck with your photography.</p>

<p><a name="00bwJl"></a><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=3918599">Mike Plavchak</a>, I am afraid that you have developed an obsession on the D600's oil/dust issue. I have seen people who would never miss any discussion on "D300 problems" or D7000 AF issues as well as D800 AF problems. If you believe in all of those, you would think Nikon only makes really bad SLRs.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have a D2x, D200, D300, & D700. I have never wet cleaned any of my cameras. To say that wet cleaning on a regular basis is normal, is pure BS, IMO.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ralph, a decade ago, I bought a wet cleaning kit for my D100 and later on I used it on my D2X. Companies have been making such wet cleaning kits and people buy them for years for a reason. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean such a process is "pure BS." Some people use their cameras in more dusty environments and therefore their cameras need more cleaning.</p>

<p>Otherwise, those who are still interested in that topic can read this thread: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00bshL">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00bshL</a></p>

<p> </p>

I don't think criticizing the messenger is really appropriate. There are enough reports by users of the D600 - people who

don't appear to be "obsessed" or otherwise off their nut - to indicate that there is a real problem that needs to be

addressed by Nikon. And making them, and potential buyers, aware of the problem ensures that Nikon will address it.

Holding Nikon to account and creating a sense of urgency in them to fix the flaw, while providing useful information to the

members of photo.net can only be a *good* thing. (Didn't Nikon eventually sort the D800 focus problem - which *did*

exist, despite similar poo-pooing from some quarters about that issue?)

To continually slag off reasonable sounding people who report, apparently honestly, their own experiences makes the

unbiased reader wonder if someone (who, theoretically say, happens to moderate the Nikon forum on a highly influential

Internet site) has their own agenda/axe to grind. I'm not implying anything, I'm just sayin'.

<blockquote>

<p>I don't think criticizing the messenger is really appropriate. There are enough reports by users of the D600 - people who don't appear to be "obsessed" or otherwise off their nut - to indicate that there is a real problem that needs to be addressed by Nikon. And making them, and potential buyers, aware of the problem ensures that Nikon will address it.<br /> Holding Nikon to account and creating a sense of urgency in them to fix the flaw, while providing useful information to the members of photo.net can only be a *good* thing. (Didn't Nikon eventually sort the D800 focus problem - which *did* exist, despite similar poo-pooing from some quarters about that issue?)<br /> To continually slag off reasonable sounding people who report, apparently honestly, their own experiences makes the unbiased reader wonder if someone (who, theoretically say, happens to moderate the Nikon forum on a highly influential Internet site) has their own agenda/axe to grind. I'm not implying anything, I'm just sayin'.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=113411">Bernard Miller</a>, if you are referring to me and disagree with what I post, I would really appreciate that you mention me by name, just as I am mentioning your name right here. Doing so would remove all uncertainties. Please don't say any of those "I'm not implying anything," stuff. That only comes across to be disingenuous.</p>

<p>For this forum, I always have the best interests for our members in mind. We indeed do not at all discourage people from reporting their bad experience here, as the OP did on this very thread. From the very beginning (October, 2012), Roger Cicala, who owns LensRental.com and deals with many samples of a lot of photo equipment, first reported this issue, he suggested that the likely cause is due to the D600's shutter curtain: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/10/22/does-the-nikon-d600-have-a-sensor-dust-problem</p>

<p>That should be something Nikon can fix without too much difficulty. In fact, Nikon posted a service advisory back in February: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18180/~/to-users-of-the-d600-digital-slr-camera<br /> To me, it would make no sense for Nikon to continue to sell defective D600 cameras only to generate a large number of returns and free warranty repairs (free to the customer but costly to Nikon) that cost them to lose money. In fact, there are a number of reliable sources reporting that the D600 they purchase in 2013 are problem free, such as our own <a name="00bvem"></a><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=2344388">Matt Laur. </a>While I hope that I won't create a major burden for Matt, you are welcome to check with him.</p>

<p>IMO, we would be doing our members here who may be interested in the D600, such as Bernard Miller yourself, a major dis-service by scaring them from this fine (although certainly far from perfect) camera. I had a very early D600 for about 50 days, from September 20, 2012 to about November 10 that year, with about 1700 captures. And I see no trace of oil problems that would concern me.</p>

<p>Instead, my advice to those who are buying a D600 is to check it thoroughly. Don't get obsessed with f22. Use your normal apertures and especially look for any unusual oil and dust issue. Clean it a few times (dry and wet) if necessary, as you would with any DSLR. If the problem does not go away, by all means get an exchange or send back to Nikon for repair. The financial burden should be a major incentive for Nikon to thoroughly correct any problem, on the D600 or otherwise. That part I agree with you. As long as you can get an exchange or get a refund, IMO there is essentially no risk to consumers.</p>

<p>And Nikon has a tendency to replace any model with wide-spread problems, real or perceived, promptly. For example, the D70 has the notorous BGLOD problem and was quickly replaced by the D70S a year later. Today, even the $1200 D7100 has a Multi-CAM 3500 inside. Hopefully Nikon will replace the D600 with something with a better AF system for FX.</p>

<p>First off, Shun, thank you for your concern over my "obsession on the D600's oil/dust issue". My real obsession is people such as yourself telling me and others that there is no "real" problem with the D600 and that we are nit picking over a non issue, when the only experience you have with the D600 is testing an early test model for a short time and only shooting 1,700 frames. So that some how elevates you to expert level in all things D600, enough so that you feel you can tell me that the dust/oil problem I have with my <strong>2013 made D600 ,</strong>that I shoot everyday,is nothing more than just normal dust issues all DLSRs have. Really?? Kinda of like you test driving a Ford Pinto for 20 minutes and then stating that the Pinto's gas tank you tested did not explode, so there must not be a real problem. Makes about as much sense. </p>

<p>My other obsession with you is your refusal to answer a simple question I have asked you at least four times now. So I will ask one more time. Please explain why you do not believe this problem is a design flaw and unique to the D600 when every reported dust/oil problem is in the upper left corner. This is NOT random dust Shun. </p>

<p>And no, the 2013 models have not been fixed. At least not the 2013 model I have and the ones two of my friends have. I still believe Nikon knows what the problem is. I also do not think it is costing Nikon that much to repair/service these cameras. Pretty sure these are not high paid techs doing repairs. More likely people making minimum wage. They are doing a two minute cleaning job and maybe changing out the mirror box. Would be shocked if it took a total of ten minutes. And it seems, from reports, that the problem is returning on some repaired units. Plus not all cameras are having the issue and not all photographers are paying attention enough to see the problem. If they are not doing paid work and/or doing post processing they may not notice and/or care. </p>

<p>I love the camera and would buy another one. I would recommend my friends buy it, and I have a few times. I just advised them of the issue that they may or may not have with it. I just kinda of get a kick out of you doing everything you can to not just come out and say "yes this camera has some kind of flaw causing this issue. Not all of them but more than enough that it is evident that the problem is a real one. I guess my obsession is saying there is a problem, looks like yours, Shun, is saying it is not. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>My real obsession is people such as yourself telling me and others that there is no "real" problem with the D600 and that we are nit picking over a non issue, when the only experience you have with the D600 is testing an early test model for a short time and only shooting 1,700 frames.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mike, please provide a reference where I started that there is no real problem with the D600's dust issue.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My other obsession with you is your refusal to answer a simple question I have asked you at least four times now. So I will ask one more time. Please explain why you do not believe this problem is a design flaw and unique to the D600 when every reported dust/oil problem is in the upper left corner. This is NOT random dust Shun.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't know the issue well enough to comment whethere there is or is not a design flaw on the D600. We all know that Roger Cicala feels that there is one, and I am sure he deals with a lot more D600 bodies than I have.</p>

<p>A design flaw should affect every unit, at least until the design is changed. What I do know is that there are plenty of D600 without any serious problems. Therefore, as long as you have the right to hold Nikon responsible so that they either repair or replace any defective until, there should be little concerns for the consumer (although dealing with warranty repair and exchange is a pain). There will be some "lemons" for any camera model, not just the D600.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I also do not think it is costing Nikon that much to repair/service these cameras. Pretty sure these are not high paid techs doing repairs. More likely people making minimum wage. They are doing a two minute cleaning job and maybe changing out the mirror box. Would be shocked if it took a total of ten minutes. And it seems, from reports, that the problem is returning on some repaired units.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is all conjecture and speculation. If a "two-minute cleaning job" from someone who makes minimum wage can fix most of such problems, why don't people just learn to clean the sensor themselves, which is actually what I have been advocating as the first thing D600 owners (or another other DSLR owner) should attempt if they run into dust problems. See the 2nd post on this thread.</p>

<p>However, just take the OP of this thread as an example, Nikon replaced the entire shutter mechanism on his D600. That is a job for a trained tech and would cost Nikon a few hundred dollars, on a camera which only retails at $2000. Therefore, that unit is clearly a net loss for Nikon, not to mention that further warranty repar seems necessary (hot shoe, etc.) at this point.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I love the camera and would buy another one. I would recommend my friends buy it, and I have a few times.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is puzzling. So your camera is actually acceptable. How are you dealing with this dust issue on your D600 that you keep on complaining about? Are you cleaning it yourself, and if so, how often? Have you ever sent it back to Nikon for repair or exchange?</p>

<p>I think that kind of real experience, rather than your speculation, is a lot more helpful to our members here.</p>

<p>Hi, Shun. I agree with you that cleaning the sensor is quite a simple job that the user can carry out himself easily and quickly. However, hasn't Nikon pretty emphatically made clear that cleaning the sensor yourself voids the warranty? If that is indeed the case, then it's kind of tough at present to see the worth of investing in a camera that has at least a significant chance of demonstrating the oil-spot problem, but on which you're not allowed to perform the easiest and quickest remedy yourself--at least during the first year that you own it. Perhaps Nikon needs to exercise some leeway regarding that part of their warranty terms, if they are indeed getting many complaints about stuff on the sensor?</p>

<p>I've rented a D800 for a weekend, and it was brilliant. I wouldn't buy one right now, because the resolution is really overkill for most of what I do (I rented because I had a client who *needed* to make huge prints, and we were both very happy indeed with the results), I'd have to upgrade my computer gear at the same time, and the camera alone is really rather expensive. The D600 seems to hit the sweet spot for resolution, performance and price, and would be very appealing as a studio camera. Based on what I've seen myself and read, both the D600 and the D800 are not just good cameras, they're *great* cameras. But like with most new technology, there seem to be some bugs that Nikon has to work out that haven't been fully addressed yet, at least with the D600, that may keep it from reaching its full potential. (As you pointed out, these problems don't seem to affect *all* units--or even most--so they're probably not design flaws. There may be a hiccup somewhere in the production chain that can be fixed when Nikon gets a handle on where and why exactly it's happening.)</p>

<p>I'm never an early adopter of new technology, as I like to let others test things out in real world conditions and report their findings. (Several of my friends expressed envy that I had had the prudence not to "upgrade" to iOS 6 right away in light of the problem with the Apple Maps app.) Reports like we're getting here are valuable to me--and I'm sure others--in deciding when all the kinks have been worked out, and it's time to go ahead and make the jump. And I'm certain that Nikon <em>will</em> address any problems when they become aware of them--as you've said, it wouldn't make economic sense for them *not* to do so.</p>

<p>Hey, I *love* Nikon stuff! And I demand a lot from it. I've got loads of old MF Nikkors I still use alongside my AF gear because they're so good, and after I wrote my (admittedly rather ill-mannered) previous note, I spent almost 45 minutes cleaning chocolate, paint and other crud from the Notting Hill Carnival off my FE/MD-12 and lenses. I've been spoiled by how good, tough and dependable Nikon products have always been, even in difficult situations, and at some point I'm definitely gonna get a D600 or D800. I just want to make sure they're as reliable as the rest of my gear--as I'm certain that Nikon will ensure that they are soon as they can--before I do.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hi, Shun. I agree with you that cleaning the sensor is quite a simple job that the user can carry out himself easily and quickly. However, hasn't Nikon pretty emphatically made clear that cleaning the sensor yourself voids the warranty?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am not aware that Nikon has stated that cleaning the sensor yourself would void the warranty. If anybody has a reference to such, I would appreciate that they can post a link. Most likely, that is merely some internet myth.</p>

<p>In particular, if you merely clean the sensor with a blower, without any physical contact, how would Nikon ever know you have done self cleaning?</p>

<p>I just did a quick search and found this page on Nikon USA's web site. It looks like they have run it by some lawyer so that there is more than a sufficient legal disclaimer that if you damage the sensor (or actually the low-pass filter on top of it) during cleaning, Nikon would charge you to fix it. Otherwise, Nikon USA actually provides instructions on how to clean the sensor yourself, including wet cleaning with cleaning fluid and physical contact: <a href="https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7348/~/what-are-these-spots-and-how-do-i-get-rid-of-them%3F">https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7348/~/what-are-these-spots-and-how-do-i-get-rid-of-them%3F</a></p>

<p>In reality, unless you stick a screwdrive into the mirrorbox to clean the sensor with, as long as you use reasonable care, the chance that you will damage the low-pass filter even during wet cleaning, thus resulting with a non-warranty damage repair, is very remote. IMO, Nikon's legal disclamer is simply over the top.</p>

<p>Cameras are now high-tech electronics, which get out of date very quickly. I am now an early adapter of new models because I push my equipment very hard and can take advantage of a lot of the new capabilities. Since 2007, I have bought a D300, D700, D7000, D800E, and D7100 all within the first 2, 3 months since each model became available, respectively. So far each one is as flawless as it can be. However, if you can wait a couple of years, you will enjoy some deep discounts as a two-year-old DSLR is now considered fairly "old."</p>

<p>Shaun almost every comment you post on this issue you downplay it and keep saying it's more than likely just owners looking at files at f/22 and "all DLSRs with have dust." Do I need to pull every one of your comments to show this? That's pretty much saying it is not a real problem. You know as much about the problem as most people. I know you have read enough post about the problem to form an opinion. If hundreds of people are reporting the same problem in the same location of the sensor common sense would lead most to believe there is indeed a unique problem with this camera.</p>

<p>I have added the fact that I would buy the D600 again in every one of my post on this. Unless you are not reading my post I'm not sure why you are surprised by this. I had my camera cleaned at the shop where I bought it because I had an upcoming wedding and did not have time to send it back to Nikon. So far the problem has not returned but I have not shot a lot of frames since the wedding. I am keeping a close watch. I've also stated almost every time that so far it is not a problem that can not be worked around but it does take a lot of extra time to fix the photos in PP that I should not have to spend. Not with a $2000 camera. </p>

<p>Also I'm done complaining about the problem. I have just responded to others post asking about the issue with the D600. </p>

<p>One more thing that I'm confused about Shun. You say Roger Cicala is sure there is a design flaw. And as you stated he deals with a lot of D600s. I'm pretty sure you disagree with Roger, but you are 100% sure about the reports of a couple of professional photographers who each shoot with the D600. And you even stated in another post that if this photographer reports his D600 as Ok than you have no reason to believe that every other D600 should not also be perfect. So you are on board with a photographer who owns one, maybe two, D600s but not a man you I'm sure handles more D600s in a week than any photographer will ever even see in their lifetime. Very strange.</p>