D600 QC gotten any better?

arun_seetharam

To be honest, I am a little surprised that this seemed to slip through Nikon quality control. Dust, oil, sticky shutter and so on. I would have

definitely thought this was accidental or bad samples if it was just a hand full of customers. It doesn't certainly doesn't seem so!!

These issues seem to be reported at several vendor and review sites by several people!! I really was waiting for something like D600 for

long. Now I feel so despondent to drop 2 grand on it. I would not bat an eyelid if the Quality was good. Average customer rating across

popular multiple sites is like 3.5 out of 5!!

My question is should I? Any news that these issues have gotten Nikon attention? Can any recent buyers confirm that their cameras have

had no such issues?

Your input would really help.

Thank you.

<p><a href="http://www.graffitiwithpunctuation.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/tljncfom.jpeg">Oh, look, it's this thread again</a>.</p>

<p>It didn't "slip through" Nikon's QC. They addressed it a couple of months ago: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18180</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"These issues seem to be reported at several vendor and review sites by several people..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And thousands of owners have reported satisfactory experiences with the D600.</p>

<p>Please see: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00bTrE">Should I just give up on the D600? Is it time to move on? </a></p>

<p>The D600 is a great camera, I give it 5 out of 5. Yes I had a few dust issues but nothing a couple of cleans hasn't fixed. Everyone should know how to keep your sensor clean and be able to clean yourself. </p>

<p>It has been my experience that prior to the internet most consumer goods (cameras, TVs, cars, stereos, etc.) experience far fewer problems. I have NAD equipment from the late '70s still performing perfectly. My FM2 is still a champ. Ever since Gore invented the darn 'net, problems have multiplied drastically for all new equipment. Turn off your internet browsers and your problems will go away. </p>

<p>The problem with the D600 is that it ships from the factory with a tiny bit of Internet Discussion Forum stuck on the sensor. It goes away and ceases ruining your photographs if you just ignore it. It's easy to ignore a non-problem in the first place, if you just let yourself try.</p>

<p>Arun, Don't let the internet ruin your image taking. As stated they was some dust on the sensor. Got mine in December and had a little to deal with. Used the sensor clean function, used a rocket blower several times and all gone. I still will need the Gottos rocket blower from time to time as I sometimes need to change my lens outside. I did have one shoot, with my D90 2 years back that caused me a lot of trouble ..... had a line about 1/2 inch long and ruined a lot of images. I did use photoshop[ to save them. It was a cat hair. I had changed the lens out back and our cat was near so I think I picked it up there. Maybe someone should start an internet bashing on Nikon on how cat hair can get in and cause problems. lol<br>

Anyway, if you think you like the D600 (I Love Mine), go get it and start having fun making images.<br>

Good Luck!!<br>

Phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>I have had oil, dust, pollen and small bugs (no cat hair Phil, that's a new one) on three different versions of Nikon bodies. In my experience the oil is gone after a few thousand shots. The dust, pollen and bugs, well, I am a landscape guy living in the desert so I can't avoid those. If I were to try to avoid them it would mean I could never use my camera. The D600 is a great system. I still love it.</p>

<p>I have had bodies, which I have mucked up changing lenses and then cleaned them, the sensors. Really something I am familiar with. But what I could not fathom is, hearing that a brand new camera could be messy and sending it back and forth to Nikon....and all that.<br>

But yea, totally agree, the internet is frought with FUD. Information could be exaggerated.<br>

It really helped melting that FUD in me about D600, hearing from you all.<br>

Thanks a lot gentlemen!! Ye'all just made me a coupla grand poorer.<br>

:-D</p>

<p>So, what's the recommendation? Buy a D600, charge the batter, install a memory card, set the intervalometer for 1,000 exposures, and your D600 will be ready to use? Who has time to waste a thousand shots on dirty images?</p>

<p>That's like telling people to ignore a few breakdowns, because your car will actually get you home once you've driven it for a thousand miles. It sounds like a rather low standard of quality if that's what's actually happening with these bodies. Please correct me if I'm mistakenly buying into FUD.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Please correct me if I'm mistakenly buying into FUD.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are mistakenly buying into FUD.<br /><br />Buy the D600, and start using it like you mean it. You might need to clean the sensor along the way, <em>just like you would with any DSLR</em>.</p>

<p>I bought a Sony A55 display model. I got a great deal on it. It needs to be cleaned. I haven't cleaned it, even though I have shot thousands of photos with it. I just clean the photos in an image editor, when I find one I like. I have probably spent ten times as long as it would have taken me to learn how to clean the camera and do it, but I really am not that worried about it. Why get your panties in a bunch? Just get the killer new camera, and you probably won't need to worry anyway. If it's dirty, send it back, or try to clean it first, and if you can't, THEN send it back!</p>

<p>:)</p>

My only concern with the issue is that. I have no problems paying a fortune for an engineering marvel. No problem cleaning

the sensors, which I have many times. But, I don't expect a scientific instruments company I have known for years to

deliver quality and reliability, come out with something that they expect the customers to put up with.

No way I would like to put my fat fingers or brushes and pumps into the heart of the camera on day one. Nor deal with

customer service a buncha times on day one. I know Nikon has been going through a lot of upheavals in the recent times.

I am still a loyalist. Love their stuff.

:-)

<blockquote>

<p>No way I would like to put my fat fingers or brushes and pumps into the heart of the camera on day one. Nor deal with customer service a buncha times on day one.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Is it necessary to continue propergating the FUD?</p>

<p>I used a D600 for about a month and half, as soon as it was available in September, 2012. I am not sure I even cleaned the sensor once in that period. And I never noticed any unusual dust issues on it during the first 5 weeks, until I started reading all of those "problems" on the web: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00axxj">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00axxj</a><br>

I then captured a test image at f22 and sure enough, there seems to be a bit more dust on the left side. I didn't even bother to clean that and just continued to use that D600 for another 2, 3 weeks before I had to return it. I never use f22 due to diffraction. In the more normal f1.4 to f8 I normally use, it is not an issue at all.</p>

<p>Matt Laur just bought a D600 a couple of weeks ago. He is speaking from very recent experience.</p>

<p>On a different note, however, looking back, since Nikon manages to put the 51-AF-point Multi-CAM 3500 AF module on the $1200 D7100, there is no reason the FX-format D600 does not have at least as good an AF module. The Multi-CAM 4800 currently on the D600 is fine, but an FX body can certainly use a few more AF points for better coverage. I expect Nikon to improve on that in the successor to the D600.</p>

Who did photographers blame for dust before digital camera sensors? I can recall wasting hours spotting individual darkroom prints; it

never occurred to me I could blame Kodak, Fuji or Ilford for all the damned dust that seemed to show up on their faulty film

emulsions. And those who used large format, and were forced to set up their cameras, change lenses or load film holders under less-than-ideal conditions,

quickly got used to the dust and lint they would find on their negatives/transparencies after development. These days, every time I scan an 8x10, 4x5 or 120

piece of film, I'm just thankful for PS's cloning/healing function; I can finally print those old negatives/transparencies that would have

required far-too-much dust-spotting by hand back in the day. In the end, I'm always amazed how little dust I find on any digital image.

I like my D600 a lot, but it definitely had the dust/oil issue. After about 1600 shutter actuations I sent it in for the second

time for cleaning. Nikon had to wait for a few weeks to get me a new shutter plate unit, and to "take necessary measures

to prevent dust from entering". Now it seems okay.

It's not FUD, or what you call it. I know of several people here who had the same experience. Nikon handled it well in the

end, but I don't like their attempts to ignoring the problem or diminishing it. I continue to use Nikon gear, but their brand

got a severe blow IMO.

<p>Nikon cleaned your camera and replaced the parts for you. What's the complaint, that the CEO didn't travel from Japan to your house to apologize?</p>

<p>They can't comment on a situation until they have a clear idea of what the situation is, and once they figured that out they put out a press release about it and cleaned the sensors (and in some cases replaced the shutters) of the people who brought their cameras in. Isn't that exactly how a company ought to handle this sort of thing?</p>

I react to all the secrets around this. At first Nikon wouldn't even tell me what they had replaced in my camera. It was just

a "spare part". Finally, when I managed to find out it was the shutter plate unit, they said it's nothing to do with the dust

problem. Other measures were taken to stop the dust.

I mean, if I leave my car for repair, they won't just tell me "necessary measures were taken". No, the wind shield was

broken so we replaced it, and we changed the gear box as well.

It's my camera. I paid for it. I have the right to know what's being done with it.

It's a good thing that Nikon fixed my camera, but something's rotten in the state of Denmark.