D60 and D300 discontinued

pcnilssen

<p>In the internet edition of the Swedish Photo Magazine KameraBild (<a href="http://www.kamerabild.se/nyheter/kameror/Nikon-D300-och-D60-utgar-D400-kommer-1.52105.html">http://www.kamerabild.se/nyheter/kameror/Nikon-D300-och-D60-utgar-D400-kommer-1.52105.html</a><br>

they state that the D60 and D300 is discontinued. A short translation of a comment to the article from a Nikon Nordic representative follows: "Yes, that is correct. The D60 is sold out. We will receive a very small amount of D300, and then it will be out of stock as well"</p>

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Until this is announced by Nikon, it is only speculation. Anyone can speculate what Nikon is doing, but until it is official, it's anyones guess. The D300 was introduced in August 2007, if Nikon is sticking with the normal 18 month lifecycle, a new model should be introduced this year sometime. It will certainly be interesting to see what the replacement looks like. But I do not expect it to be as good of a value as the $600 D200 deal at BB.</p>

<p>Per-Christian,<br /> as a displaced Swede in the US I find it interesting that this is what's being published in Sweden.<br /> In the US the current camera lineup is this -<br /> http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Digital-SLR/index.page<br /> Here you will find the D60 & D300 alive & kicking. :-)<br /> It should also probably be mentioned that the article mentions that it's probably part a result of the current economic situation that may be a part of this. And that the D300 is due to be updated. That the D90 & D5000 all have inherited the D300 technology & therefore the D300 needs to be updated. And that is is to be expected that once the newer models are about to be announced the production of the older ones normally will be stopped.<br>

<br /> Nothing really to unusual after all..... :-)<br /> Lil :-)</p>

<p>Hello, Lil,<br />it's so nice finding other Scandinavians on this forum.</p>

<p>According to nikon.se, the D300 is very well alive and with kits as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone higher up at Nikon is somewhat irritated today, reading the confirmation of the Nikon representative in the article..<br>

No, nothing really unusual, and many find that the D300 is due for a replacement this year, but the article clearly indicates that something is happening.<br>

My D300 still rocks!</p>

<p>Paul B: Swim against the stream (as we say in Norway). Your D300 is good for years to come - and if you want to be en vouge, buy tha 24-70 ;)</p>

<p>Dave, what a pleasant surprise. I think we have to ask Shun or Josh to get our own Scandinavian-Nikonians sub-forum ;)</p>

<p>It seems clear that the D5000 supersedes the D60, so nobody should be surprised that the D60 is gone. Nikon seems to be replacing the D40x/D60/D5000 in roughly one-year intervals. On the other hand, Nikon definitely made way too many D200 bodies and that is why they need to discount them to $600 nowadays, close to 2 years since the D300 announcement. They probably will not make that same mistake with the D300.</p>

<p>Incidentally, somehow even the D80 is still not on Nikon Japan's discontinued list yet: <a href="http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/discontinue/digital/index.htm">http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/discontinue/digital/index.htm</a></p>

<p>As long as there are any R&D departments still working, everything we now have on the market is already obsolete. That's marketing. The new technologies are in the pipeline as soon as companies have made a projected amount on existing stock. Then they are replaced by the latest....(according to them) technology. Of course as soon as the "new" stuff is released, it is really obsolete pending the next release.<br>

So, the point is, obsolesence is not as important as functionality. If it still gives you the quality product you are now getting, it is good. Keep it and use it. Replace only as needed unless you have a lot of on hand cash...and of course the Nikon sweet tooth. :)</p>

Per, as you probably understand , I don't intend to buy anything , for a long time ahead. But the market moves on , and eventually they will replace the D300 . As you said , my D300 is good for years to come, and for now I prefer to invest in lenses, hopping they redesign some, and release new ones.

<p>Paul, I find myself in the same situation. 4 weeks ago I started the following thread: D300 good enough - or start saving for the D700?: <a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00T65s">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00T65s</a><br>

In this thread we reached a very creative and good discussion on the D300 vs D700 vs. lenses in a indoor sports arena setting. Thanks to photo.netters (and Shun in particular) I finally decided that my D300 was more than good enough for my needs, and I would be better off buying new and better lenses, and improving my shooting and Photoshop techniques. NAS is horrible :)</p>

<p>I'm relatively new to digital but it seems to me an argument could be made for replacing a digital body at fairly frequent intervals rather than waiting until it is well and truly outdated. I'm talking about upgrading maybe every two years or so, re-selling the old and buying a new camera after it has been on the market long enough to be slightly discounted.</p>

<p>I say this because, contrary to what people here often say, 2-years-old or so Nikon DSLRs still seem to retain quite a bit of value, so upgrading to a newer equivalent might only cost net 1/3 or so what the new camera will cost to buy - whereas if you wait another 2-4 years, the old one will be well and truly obsolete and worth nothing, so your net outlay may be proportionately the same or more per year. In other words, about the same per-year cost to have updated technology as to keep older technology longer.</p>

<p>Just a thought.</p>

<p>"Nikon definitely made way too many D200 bodies and that is why they need to discount them to $600 nowadays, close to 2 years since the D300 announcement. They probably will not make that same mistake with the D300."</p>

<p>seriously hope this is not the case. i would definitely buy a $600 d300, maybe two, if it came to that.</p>

<p>I'm sure the D300 will be discontinued in or around August. Generally Nikon updates that line every 2 years. They may continue to sell the D300 just like you can still buy a new D200 now. I would imagine they will anounce the successor in that line probably this summer.</p>

<p>It's really a matter of definition of the word "discontinue". When Nikon adds a product to its discontinued items list, it means that Nikon doesn't have one in stock any more. Although Nikon may have stopped making D60 and even D300, they should still have them in stock.</p>

<p>This conversation reminds me of the one a while back where the guy put up the chart of all the Nikon models.</p>

<p>Discontinuation of D60 does not surprise me one bit as clearly Nikon will want to commonalise around just a couple of CMOS sensor variants.</p>

<p>D300 is the more curious one to me in this post and is almost sure to be replaced if word of its discontination is true, as it occupes a key spot in the product map.</p>

<p>Darn! </p>

<p>I was really hoping that the D300 would be replaced and that we might see a BestBuy like discount in the future. I guess I can still HOPE, right ? I don't know where BestBuy got all the dirt cheap D200s, ( Circuit City maybe ? ), but it's only a few cool features of the D300 that has kept me from jumping on that deal, as my first DSLR. </p>

<p>In the flickr group I am in there was this very same topic and the source of their info was...read for yourself below (I am just copy pasting, I don't know either way)<br>

“At our monthly update of the recommended prices on the market, we received news that Nikon D60 is sold out and that the D300 is discontinued. We called Björn Nordgren at Nikon Nordic to get this confirmed. <br />- Yes it is true. D60 is sold out. We will get a bunch of D300’s but then it is sold out too.”</p>

<p>When I got my first dSLR D70 I printed the brochures of many newer dSLRs released but now I have lost count and have stopped doing that. Still have not updated the D70. At the time I had to build up my accessories. Given that they are not cheap and the lifespan is short, why bother, with my camera club the D70 is happy, so is many other D70 and Canon 350Ds. </p>

<p>Of this I am starting to do a bit more film they are in my freezer cos fSLRs are so cheap. Or even large format. When I want a non messy shot the D70 is always there.....</p>