D60 3 focus points

steve_vh

<p>It really depends on what you shoot and how you like to shoot it. More AF points would allow you to put a subject in focus without aiming for it as much; it's especially helpful when your subjects are fast moving. On the other hand, if you're into shooting static scenes that allow you to AF and then recompose, then the simpler AF system of the D60 should be enough. Also there're situations during which AF might not be needed or desirable; like macro stuff. </p>

<p>You also have to seriously consider the other aspects of the cameras in question. (for example the D3000 has a large 3" LCD and probably has less high ISO noise due to more updated processing, despite having the same sensor.) It's a good idea to consider other options such as the D40, D5000, and even the D90 just as well. </p>

<p>While 3 focus points may not sound like a lot, it is typically all that you need. In most cameras with more than three, usually the center point is the most accurate, reliable and fastest focusing as it is the only one that is a cross type (excluding Nikon's newest cameras like the D300 and D3).</p>

<p>Whether 11 AF points will make a noticable difference depends on how you use the camera. A friend of mine who the father of two small children (5 and 2 years old) has the D40, which also uses the Multi-CAM 530 AF module like the D60, feels that is the main limitation on the D40.</p>

<p>If you shoot a lot of sports/action, having 11 AF points should be a clear advantage. If you use the old-fashioned "AF and recompose," you probably would be using just 1 AF point anyway. Therefore, think about how you use the camera. Personally, I am glad that Nikon is completely phasing out the Multi-CAM 530. As soon as stocks run out, the D40 and D60 should be history and the D3000 will be Nikon's more affordable DSLR.</p>

<p>The eleven focus points also comes with Multicam 1000, which includes scene recognition capability. When taking wildlife shots with a D40X (three points), yes I did obtain clear shots- About 30% of the time with Canadian geese approaching from the side at forty miles an hour for landing. With a D90, multicam 1000 and higher capability focus modes, the number of clear shots is significantly higher. Like Shun has said, three point focus may meet your needs completely, but it depends on what you're trying to do.</p>

<p>I had the D40x for a year and the focus system sucked. I love my D90, but wish I had gone for the D300. It really depends on how you use the camera whether the focus system is a limitation for you, and only you can decide that. I love being able to move the selected focus point around when doing portraits.</p>

<p>I have a D40x so my options are 3 points or 1. I use 1.</p>

<p>With medium quality AF lenses, I'm not sure that more points would really help. My 70-300 focuses so slow that I still use 1 pt focus mode. Maybe more focus points would be good with a really fast AF lens, if they make them??</p>