D5300

alma_jimenez

<p>A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about taking pictures at my sons concert and got really good feedback. I went to pawn shops in my area looking for a better lens but didn't have such luck. I have a Nikon D3200 but found a D5300 for $400 it comes with the 18-55 lens and charger. It has a shutter count of 1300. I really want to get it but not sure if it would really make a difference in my picture taking. Is that a good price for the camera? I asked how much they would take for mine which included the camera, lens, bag, Wifi conector and they said $130 WOW not going to happen. Should I get the D5300 or it's not really worth it?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Alma</p>

<p>Alma,<br>

I doubt that a D5300+18-55mm would be significantly better than your D3200. Better to spend money on a high performance lens for the D3200.</p>

<p>In general, have not found that pawn shops are a good avenue for used camera purchases, the selection is sporadic at best for the time spent going around and the pricing is not generally that good. You might want to check KEH, Adorama, and Ebay for used gear.</p>

<p>There are some areas in which the D5300 is better - its main advantages are better autofocus, and the tilt-screen on the back. In terms of the sensor and all that, it is equal to your D3200. It won't make your photos better, though the improved AF might help in low light locking on. The 18-55 is a lens you probably already have with the D3200.<br>

For $400, you can find really good second hand lenses online which in my view are a bigger upgrade than this camera would be. Something like a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 with built-in motor can be found at those prices; a 50mm f/1.8G can be found for a whole lot less new, with warranty.</p>

<p>The main advantage is that the D5300 uses the Multi-CAM 4800 AF system with 9 cross-type AF points, same as the one in the D7000 and D600/D610. However, a slow 18-55mm lens that goes to f5.6 quickly is going to be a poor choice for indoors, unless you can use flash.<br>

<br />I think you are better off upgrading the lens first to something that is f2.8 or even faster. A lot of this depends on what your budget is for this upgrade/enhance.ent.</p>

<p>BTW, this is the OP's earlier thread from last month: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00dtRi">Taking pictures at Concerts and Recitals</a></p>

<p>Welcome to the Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) "club" Alma, most of us here are members! there are always new, different, better lenses and cameras out there that we suddenly feel we "need" (can't live without), some of us have the curse/addiction so badly that, in truth, we should probably seek counselling!</p>

<p>That said, I agree with all the other contributors who suggested faster lens rather than another camera, personally I'd look for a fast prime lens or 2, 50 or 85 1.8. I'd also invest in top notch processing, like Lightroom and Photoshop and learn to enjoy using them. </p>

<blockquote>

<p> Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 OS HSM</p>

</blockquote>

<p>i'm sure Kent meant the 17-50/2.8 OS HSM, not the 18-50. there was an earlier 18-50/2.8 sigma made which didnt have OS but did have HSM. The Amazon link i provided upthread is for the 17-50 OS, which is a bit better (and more readily available). it's worth $420 for sure -- i paid $800 for mine back when it came out. IIRC, you still have an issue with reach, so this won't solve all your problems. But it's optically a better lens than the 18-55, especially at wider apertures. im not sure it makes sense to buy an 85/1.8 for a concert or two, but the 17-50 is a good investment over time. You may opt to rent a 70-200/2.8 for covering one-time events if you still need reach. </p>

A D5300 would make essentially no

difference. Your camera body is not the

problem. The problem is that your kit lenses

are too slow. Put the money into faster glass.

Also the pawn shop (surprise surprise) is

trying to rip you off. $400 is only slightly less

than a d5300 with 18-55 brand new. ($496.95

at B&H) And the charger comes with it.