D5200 in camera HDR vs PSCS5 post processing

kylebybee

<p>First of all I'm assuming the D5200 will have this feature. Secondly I'm asking because I don't like to spend time post processing anymore than I have too. The question mostly is although the camera puts the images together in the camera, can you enhance them some more in what ever software I have. I use Aperture 3, mostly (easy) but I do have PSCS5 (not easy). Will the end result be about the same. I currently shoot with the D7000. <br>

Thank you,<br>

Kyle</p>

<p>The camera might bracket 3 exposures but you won't be able to produce a HDR image from it in camera as it requires software to blend the images. HDR does require processing and time, I use Photomatix to produce a Tiff file that doesn't take much time at all but there is usually plenty of work after that. Photomatix also has an exposure blend which can give you more realistic looking images. I desaturate my images in Photomatix as the colour space is horrible.</p>

<p>You can do this too in CS5 but I think it takes a little more time. There are some other plug in's that give a HDR look I think Nik Software do one you can apply it to a single image.</p>

<p>Just seen it does a two exposure blend HDR, not sure if that qualifies as HDR or not, I'll leave that to someone else.</p>

<p>There are several HDR programs available that combine the images for you (are basically fully automatic). The results are quite good. Photomatrix is pretty is good:</p>

<p>http://www.hdrsoft.com/</p>

<p>Here is another link you may find of interest which evaluates 10 popular programs:</p>

<p>http://captainkimo.com/hdr-software-review-comparison/</p>

<p>FWIW, the author states he uses Photmatrix.</p>

<p>> That's a bummer, only 2 exposures. <br>

Doesn't really matter 2 or 3. In-camera HDR processing is pretty restricted anyway. Okay for scene preview or sending a quick sunset pics to your old folks from vacation. But proper HDR form an AEB set of NEFs is much better for good rendering. HDR mostly requires heavy-handed post-processing and you face compromises where you are willing to kill contrast in order to squeeze wide scene DR into limited display DR. <br>

You can pp a pic you get from in-camera HDR but you're much more restricted. <br>

With the recent wide-DR sensors, certain raw converters (LR4, RT4, DxO OP 8) can produce acceptable HDR-like results from a single properly-exposed NEF. </p>