D5100 vs D3100

DrBen

<p>My main camera is a Bronica SQ Ai 6x6 film camera for "serious" B&W work, but I also have a Canon PowerShot SX120 IS digital P&S for incidental work that I want to replace with a Nikon digital DSLR. I have a tight budget and the DSLR will be mainly a walk-around camera that will take second place to my 6x6 film camera. Most DSLR prints will be 4x6s with occasional 8x10s and infrequently an 11x14 (uness I start doing a lot more color work).</p>

<p>I think I have narrowed my options down to two reasonable Nikon possibilities: a D3100 or a D5100. For my purposes, the important differences between these two cameras are the following (the D5100 is always the better of the two features):</p>

<p>14.2 mpx, 16.2 mpx; iso 3200, iso 6400; AF-no center focus, AF-center focus; Fixed LCD (230K dots), Articulated LCD (921K dots).</p>

<p>I can obtain either camera locally, new with warranty and a 18-55mm kit lens for $530 (D3100) or $640 (D5100).</p>

<p>Are those improvements worth the additional $110 for the D5100. (My original budget was $500 so moving up to the D5100 will mean eating a lot of cat food to make up for the increase.)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just like the poster above, my choice would be the D5100 between the two. Have you looked at a used D90 though since you are in a tight budget? You can find a lot of used between $500-$550. Better ISO and higher resolution on the D5100 aren't that significant on most cases. However, the D90 has more features such as internal AF motor, more external controls and bigger viewfinder just to name a few.</p>

<p>Another vote for the D5100. If you read a little deeper, you'll find its menus support a number of additional creative features such as auto bracketing. If money is that tight, wait a few weeks to see if Nikon releases a D5200 to complement the D3200.</p>

A few weeks ago I added a pair of D5100s to my go-to bag and they have been great. I can't say enough good things

about them. Light, easy to use, very sharp, great in lower light, tilt screen, a little video. That said, the D3100 is a nice little

camera, 14mp is very good.

<p>I really don't like cat food at all... the D3100 is not that bad!The D5100 is better camera. But whether it's worth the extra money they ask for it....I'd say "yes", IF the extra features matter to you in any way. And the extra features are the articulated LCD and better high ISO performance. AF systems are identical, and at lower ISOs both cameras are perfectly fine.<br>

So, it boils down a bit to what matters to you. As you can read, the D5100 gets enough love (and it does have one of the best APS-C sensors you can get today), but the D3100 is not that far behind at all.</p>

<p>Personally? I'd get a second-hand light-used D90, which will cost about the same as a D5100. And dog food.</p>

<p>Higher ISO, especially in a walk-around camera...check; center focus...check; articulated LCD - also nice, but not crucial...check. IIRC the live view is easier to use, too. I bought one just to get converted to IR...around $550 with rebate in June, so a no-brainer there. If I were to buy another DSLR just to kick around with (also have D7k for that), it's be another D5100.</p>

<p>This summer, I've mostly been shooting a 1951 Rolleiflex 6x6. In the past I've owned and used a Bronica ETRSi as my main camera. I just bought a Nikon D5100 as a back up camera to my D300 in May. I love the camera. Keeping in mind I'm also a medium format shooter, here's what I really like about the D5100. I fold the LCD screen out and turn it so it points up. I can then hold the camera at my waist and shoot it just like I do my Rollei and also the way I did my Bronica with the waist level camera. Think of the D5100 as the only Nikon DSLR that has a waist level finder. Since you are a MF shooter too, I don't need to say more.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>