D5000 zoom lens

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by cindygillespie, May 20, 2010.

1. I purchased the Nikon D5000 with the following lenses.... Nikon - Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom Lens and the 18-55mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 DX Nikkor lens With 3x zoom. AF-S ... I am looking for more zoom power. I am looking to shoot from 6 - 10ft to capture a bird or detail of a butterfly etc... suggestions please.
    Thank you very much for your time and efforts,

2. Dear Cynthia,
    The types of lenses you'd be looking for to do that are heavy and expensive. Capturing details of a butterfly from 10 ft will be in need of an incredibly expensive lens.
    So, first, what would be your budget?

3. I used to own a Nikon 70-300 VR lens. Sold it. Got the Sigma 150-500 OS HSM. Never looked back.

4. hummm Okay maybe not a butterfly but at least a bird with nice clarity and definition.
    About 500. - 700.00 I was thinking? Nikon - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Telephoto Lens ?
    Thank you all for your in put and experience !!!!

5. Cynthia,
    Here's an example taken using a 300/4 AF-S plus TC14EII (this gives 420mm), on a dx crop camera at the closest focusing distance.
    Butterfly On Flower
    For insects, I've gotten much closer using a macro lens and it works fairly well so long as you don't scare the critter off. Birds I can't say as I only shoot them when I get the opportunity. To pull out alot of detail you;d probably want the longest lens you can afford, and a good solid tripod, perhaps even a gimbal?

Regards,
    Alvin

6. Cynthia, the lens you quote is a very nice lens, and in fact within your budget in my view the only serious contender (the rest is simply more expensive or not as good). However, the difference between 200mm you have now versus 300mm is not enormous, so maybe it is a good plan to first try one in a store to see if it delivers what you hope for; else you can better pocket the money and keep saving for a more substantial solution.

7. I have Nikon D5000 also and would like to know if auto focus will work with Nikon 70mm - 300mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR.

8. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

I have Nikon D5000 also and would like to know if auto focus will work with Nikon 70mm - 300mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR.​
    The D5000 will auto focus with all Nikon AF-S lenses. AF-S means there is a silent-wave auto focus motor inside the lens. I think that lens would be a good choice for the OP's needs. Anything longer will be hard to handle and you are talking about using a tripod; that may be good for birds but certainly not butterflies.

9. shoot from 6 - 10ft to capture a bird or detail of a butterfly​
    If they are flying, that's tough. If they stand still get the longest lens that you can afford, there's no need for zooming, a prime lens is better. How long you can go is up to your bank account

10. I am talking about objects that are still... not flying. A bird in a tree, butterfly on a plant... I would like to stay between 500 - 700.00

11. Go for the Nikon 70-300 f4.5/5.6 ED VR. Excellent lense for bird shots.

12. Will the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon Digital SLR work on a Nikon D5000? This is quite a nice lense for the price and it is macro also. I am still on the fence ... thanks to all of you for all your help !!!

13. Okay... you know I am going to beat this topic dead... sorry. I just found this lense also Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO-M DG (Motorized) Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon AF D Camera and it's macro also... ergo for the 210.00 I would like some opinions please !!!!!

14. Tamron 70-300mm and Sigma 70-300mm, both will work on Nikon D5000, but 0.02cents... go for the Nikon 70-300mm VR version, VR does help when on 300mm. I have Nikon lens and it's really nice lens, may be little heavy compared to other two you have mentioned but mainly because of the VR. I have read nice things about Tamron as well as Sigma. Many people says that Tamron is sharp in picture quality but focus is not super-fast, whereas Sigma's focus system is fast compared to Tamron and it's picture quality is little less compared to Tamron. But I think if you are going to print 8x10 or something both the lens should do well. But VR does matter... and btw, Sigma already has OS (i.e. VR) version of the lens and Tamron announced that they are working on VC (i.e. VR) version of the lens and should be released, sometime.

15. Thank you VERY much Ray.... I am going to save a bit more and go with the Nikon 70-300 then. I have been doing this for a while but, really trying and raising the bar on myself..... Each week I have been assigning a lesson of such... and I have noticed a huge difference in my abilities however, needed something to reach out to some subjects.