D500 minor issue

johne37179

I use my D500 yesterday in some pretty wet weather. While I kept it out of the rain when not shooting it was exposed to the weather off and on for about two hours. I have a third party grip on it. After uploading the images I noticed that when I went to the menu function it would continually scroll through all of them and I could not get it to stop short of turning the camera off and on. As I typically do I took all of the components I used during the day apart (just disconnected) and let them air dry and reassembled them. Everything functioned fine after that. There was no visible moisture anywhere except on the exterior, but it could have gotten into connections. Everything seems fine, so I'm just alerting other D500 users.

Battery grips duplicate the action of the "joystick" control. So maybe some conductive moisture got in between the non-OEM grip and its camera contacts; making the camera think that the joystick was being held down.

That seems the most likely explanation. Not an intrinsic camera weakness, except that the rubber contact cover has to be removed when a grip is fitted.

Maybe leaving the grip off in wet conditions would be a good idea.

You could aid the weather sealing by cutting some thin rubber foam sheet to fit between the base of the camera and the grip.

I've seen plain and self-adhesive 1.5mm thick closed-cell foam in craft shops in sheets about a foot square. A sheet of that, a craft knife and 20 minutes work should see the job done.