again to get it to work right.

As an example, while in Aperture Priority, after working correctly,

and registering that the aperture is changing while I turn the

dial...it will get to a point and not change aperture...it sort of

locks up...(this was using a 60mm macro AF D lens). After cycling

the camera off then on it worked fine.

And then I was trying to get the flash to pop up...I turned the

camera to auto, aimed at a very dark area and the flash wouldn't

pop...even when I pressed the button on the side of the prism.

Eventually it did pop up.

Do I have a problem here? Or is it just me mis-interpreting my

camera?

Thanks,

George

Cameras are more and more like computers, and like computers you have to get used having to turn them off and on to get them working every once in a while.

I hope computers get away from doing that before they take over cars...

Ignacio

I would most certainly get the camera back to Nikon with a letter stating the salient details. There's no reason whatsoever to 'settle' for less than the mnfr's specs. If we tolerate garbage we will be fed garbage. <...get used having (sic) to turn them off ...>? I think not.

Any chance of more info? If you were shooting RAW images and had several in a quick sequence, the camera may slow up a bit while writing from the buffer. Also, the pop-up flash will do-it-when-the camera wants in one of the little "modes" other than M, A, S, and P. The camera may have not 'thought' more light was needed in 'A' mode and you did.

Check Nikon's website periodically for updated firmware. As persistent problems emerge they'll address it with new firmware.

One of the few really useful features in Nikon's PictureProject software is that it can automatically notify you of these updates, altho' you may need a DSL or cable ISP for this to work.

George, based on the two examples you provided, there may not be anything wrong with your camera, it could be just normal operation.

I don't have a D50, but my D70 has very similar functions. When rotating the command dial, esp in P mode, it is possible to "go past" the end of the range, and have the display get stuck on max or min value. In that case, you just have to turn the wheel in the opposite direction a few extra turns to get you back into the range.

As for popping the flash up (forced flash vs automatic flash), there are certain modes that make the flash and release button operative or inoperative.

For instance, on the D70, you can NOT manually release the flash if you are using any of the pre-set program modes, including auto.

Conversely, the flash does NOT automatically pop up in P,S,A, or M modes. You have to release it manually in those modes.

Hope that helps...

When you use the 60/2.8 Micro (or Macro) lens, as you focus closer, the "effective" aperture will change and Nikon is clever enough to factor that in.

Also when the mode dial is in one of the M, S, A, P modes, the flash will not automatically pop up. You have to press the little button.

George - I've had to turn my D70 on/off 6 times since I've owned it. Oddly, it always seems to happen when something really interesting is happening. I switched the camera to manual mode so it wasn't a focus locking issue, it just wouldn't shoot. I initially freaked out, prayed, cycled the power and it came back. Of course you become a little wary but it's never developed into a big problem.

If your camera does this constantly, you may have to send it in for service. It's a very rare event for me, 6 times over 20k shutter cycles. The number of times it's happened doesn't make me send it in.