D40 and Lens dropped into water

wai_lam

I recently dropped my D40 into a fresh water lake and it is not working anymore

even after I dried it up. Also I could see a lot of residue inside the camera

and the lens. Does anyone have the same experience and is it still worth

repairing? Thanks in advance for whoever can provide some advice.

W.T.Lam

If the lens is something like the 18-55, IMO it is questionable to repair it. The repair cost will likely be over 50%, perhaps way over, of the replacement cost because of the labor involved. And you wonder the repair is going to be 100% perfect. At least in this case it isn't sea/salt water.

Had it been sea water, you can pretty much forget about it.

Are you in the US? If so, you can always send it to Nikon USA and get a repair estimate. If that is too high, you can refuse repair.

Nikon USA essentially provides free repair estimate;

if you decide that the repair is too expensive and decline it,

the only thing they'll charge you is return shipping.

If you are close to them, it'll only cost you a bit of time to bring it over. But water damage is very hard to fix property. It would be worse say if you spend $300 to get it fixed and then the problem comes back in a few months.

The same thing happened to me in August. I felt into a lake with my D200 & 18-200mm VR lens. They were toasted and beyond repair. It turned out that my home insurance covered the loss and at the same time Nikon gave me very good discount on any replacement items. I couldn't wait too long without a camera, so I went and bought another D200 before settling with Nikon and the insurance company. Eventually I got two lenses from Nikon at excellent prices. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to check with Nikon first to see what they'll have to say. HTH.