D3200 Raw Converter for Photoshop CS5

<p>All,</p>

<p>I have several questions that I need assistance with.<br>

1. Is there a Adobe CS5 camera raw update that will acomodate D3200 raw files?<br>

2. If I purchase Photoshop CC (cloud) will my Picture Code, Topaz or Nik editing plugins be compatible?<br>

3. Where do I purchase a CS6 upgrade?<br>

4. How is Photoshop CC working for you? </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>1. no. you'd have to use their DNG converter which will then allow you to open it in CS5<br>

2. you'd have to update the plugins most likely (almost assuredly)<br>

3. you can call Adobe sales but they'll pressure you into CC but if you insist, I think you can still get CS6<br>

4. Been working well for me.</p>

<p>For #3 here is the Aodbe link to purchase CS6: http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html<br>

<br />Note: Make sure you click the buy link and not the underline of the product (sends you to CC products). From the buy link you are given options on upgrading etc.<br>

Hope that helps.</p>

<p>It appears you can upgrade from CS5 to CS6 but at $199, not sure that's a good deal. At $9.95* a month to get PS and Lightroom photo bundle, that's nearly 20 months of the CC subscription. I'd either stick with CS5 and convert raws to DNG <strong>or</strong> go with the subscription which yes, works just fine and has a number of useful features compared to CS5. KEEP CS5 around however, it's a good fallback plan should you decide you need a perpetual licensed version in the event you end your subscription to CC. <br>

*https://creative.adobe.com/plans?tt=v8</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Edward--<br>

I have both the Topaz and Nik plugins and find that they work in both CS6 and CC; I don't know what version you have of these plugins, but Topaz upgrades are all free. so if you don't have the latest version where there may be a compatibility issue, you can get the upgrade. I purchased the Nik plugins after they were acquired by Google (and the price dropped significantly for the entire set) and I have had no issue with them as well.</p>

<p>Regarding how PS CC is working, I have subscribed to the Photoshop/Lightroom deal, but I also have CS6 which is still updated and supported. I believe Adobe said they would continue support on CS6 through the next OS of both Mac and Windows, at which point you would obviously still be able to use it (assuming it would still work with future operating systems).<br>

Regarding CS6--here's a link to an article that came out when CS6 was released that shows you the difference between CS5 and CS6...<a href="http://prodesigntools.com/difference-between-photoshop-cs6-vs-cs5-top-new-features.html">link</a>. Some are pretty significant.</p>

<p>On a personal note, I am not a big fan of the subscription model--semantics aside (between the whole licensing / leasing / owning models) I prefer having software on my system that I have control over and once paid for I don't ever have to worry about additional payments. Not knowing your financial situation, I personally would opt for the CS6 version -- which is pretty much yours until you no longer want to use it. (I have not once experienced any visit from the software repo people wanting to take any software back that I purchased, so I feel comfortable in calling the software mine--again, semantics aside.) If you can swing it and want to feel the need to get into CC -- and get Lightroom in the deal if you don't already have it for about $10 a month and still have CS6 to fall back on. Sounds weird, but I still use CS6 a bit even though I have CC as well. Go figure.</p>

<p>My biggest objection to the subscription model is that at some point your subscription may end (could be for financial reasons--because you pretty much need to have internet access too (practically speaking)--so consider that cost as well, Photoshop could -- and probably will at some point--require you to update your OS-- which <em>may even require you to update your computer </em>and you may not be ready to do that, as well as a number of other reasons)...and when your subscription ends, if you don't have a version of PS that your purchased prior to the subscription model, you may be very limited in your ability to edit your images in the future--this includes all of your current images and the ones you have yet to shoot.</p>

<p>There are LOTS of threads out there (not just here on Photo.net about the whole subscription/purchase models; read some of those and you'll have to make up your own mind. There are zealots on both sides of the argument.</p>

<p>One thing I do like though is that CC does get a lot of feature updates that you would typically have to wait for 18 months or so for the next version to get when purchasing upgrades. (On the other hand they have been known to 'break' a new feature with an update--and then have to fix it again.) If you are like me and purchase an occasional Photoshop book, it difficult to know how current a PS CC book is with software updates happening fairly often. <br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>Good people. Thanks to all of you for your kind advice and sharing your experiences. I will probably start by upgrading to CS6 and I appreciate the link that was provided. The fee for CC is less than I had originally thought and well within my humble means. I was surprised that the D3200 was not supported by CS5 but my D3s and D800e were supported. I like to have a hard copy of my programs that belong to me though I can appreciate the ongoing updates for CC. I am wary of recurring charges, cloud computing and security issues. In the last three years I have had problems with organizations not turning off monthly charges after I had asked them to be stopped, had the manager of my electronic medical record notify me on two occasions that the system security had been breached and had to get new credit cards 4 times. Twice for a mass breach of security of the credit card company, once when it was discovered that someone in Philadelphia had purchased gas and groceries with my account, I live in DC, and once when someone in the UK was using my credit card information to purchase $40 dollar gift cards. Honestly none of the occurrences were overtly my fault and have never ever happened before until recent times. I have for the time being a powerful image editing PC computer that I deliberately keep off line unless I am intentionally down loading and I have kept anti this and that soft ware on my PCs. Last summer my spouse switched our everyday house hold over to a MAC but I imagine that Apple products are increasingly ripe pickings for those interested in PII. I don't think my experience is atypical and while I was perfectly happy purchasing Photo Shop upgrades every other generation for the last 15 years I am sure I will eventually succumb and buy the online subscription as I am condescendingly dragged as a grumbling old man with a stubbled beard into the 21st century:) I have to admit that when I recently repurchased all of Led Zepplin first 5 albums/CD on line I also chose as well to rip the music onto my MAC since that was offered free of charge. Well after all it was Led Zepplin. Thanks again and good hunting.</p>