<li>11 AF points</li>

<li>full HD Video (1920 x 1080)</li>

<li>price 650 €</li>

<li>new EXPEED2 processor</li>

<li>improved objects recognition for the AF control</li>

<li>improved in-camera menu</li>

<li>user can save picture profiles</li>

</ul>

<p>very interesting, as low-light performance could be better than nikon d5000/90/300. makes one wonder what nikon is planning for d90, d300 and d700 replacements. will d400 use same sensor but with better AF module? will d800 use 18mp non-sony FF sensor, as rumored? what happens to the D3s sensor? will there be an affordable iteration of the D3X sensor?</p>

<p>guess we'll just have to wait and see...</p>

<ul>

</ul>

<p> </p>

<p>As rumors go, this one apparently has a fairly high chance of being true - and it would hopefully mean that other refreshes aren't far off. I can't wade through German well enough to see what a D3000 sells for there but a D3000+18-55 kit on Amazon.fr is 399 Euro and DPReview seems to think it was 440 at launch, so 650 would be a bit surprising to me.</p>

<p>The other thing that surprises me is that the magazine that leaked the info has a D3000 replacement but not a replacement for other cameras - it seems odd that if Nikon is going to upgrade the DX CMOS they use in almost everything, they'd do it in the lowest end camera first.</p>

<p>i know PN doesnt like the Nikon Rumors site (which also published the specs, which Hogan has basically confirmed and also appear in DPReview), but they have scans directly from Foto of the new camera and lenses. the d3100 has reportedly also shown up in Best Buy's inventory system.</p>

<p>i dont sprechen ze deutch, but if anyone does, you're welcome to translate...</p>

<P>

<I>Copyrighted image deleted. -- SC</I>

</P>

<p>Reported by a (1) german Guy on a German Website, and this "report" was copied by "NikonRumours"<br />The German Guy says he read it a copy of a magazine ( Foto Digital) ... This would imply that Nikon gives Info to a German Magazine before any official announcement, so I'd say : HOAX ...</p>

<p>dont think so, CPM, since the images of the camera and lenses are in a published, credible magazine sent to subscribers just one week before the official announcement. it is true that NR first reported this back in July, but they had the specs wrong: 10mp, not 14. the above image may be via nikon rumors but it's directly taken from Foto mag's September edition.</p>

<p>here's what hogan sez: "So, the D3100 is mostly official at this point: the newer 14mp Sony sensor (with HD video support and Live View), new EXPEED 2, AF during video, and some much-needed menu changes."</p>

<p>he also lambasts nikon for the leak, which addresses your issue more succintly. magazines generally have a three-month lead time between printing and newsstand date; early copies are mailed out to subscribers, which is how this happened.<br>

<br /><br>

but if you think this is a hoax, how about you bet your best lens (or body) against mine? i need some new gear...<br /></p>

<p> </p>

<p>For whatever it is worth: <em><strong>For demanding beginners</strong> Still before photokina, Nikon presents a entry level camera, which compares well with considerable more expensive cameras in terms of functionality and image quality. Foto Digital has had the opportunity to perform some quick tests during the presentation of the D3100. </em>Not much information in this screen shot :-)</p>

<p>thanks uli</p>

<p>btw, here's the Foto magazin website URL, but it doesnt look like its been updated with the september issue yet. http://www.fotomagazin.de/aktuelles_heft/aktuelles_heft/index.php#</p>

<p>judging from the web chatter, the d3100 is already being hailed as a winner, however it throws the rest of nikon's lineup into disarray, since it appears to have better specs than the current DX flagship models--and better video than the d3.</p>

<p>mmm This is were the story starts ( The "Seed") : <a href="http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=724129">http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=724129</a> <br />All the pics on websites are copies of the ones from " Nikon Romours" , the original poster did not upload any scans or Pics.<br />I'll have a look tomorrow, this mag. is mostly generally 1 day after apaerance in the shops here ......., to be continued...</p>

<p>ok, CPM, but if we were just talking about theoretical specs, i'd be inclined to be skeptical too. the actual scans from the mag, plus the fact Hogan hasnt shot down the leak, but basically confirmed it (not officially, as that would invalidate his NDA), lead me to think this is more than just a rumor; otherwise i wouldnt have posted it on PN.</p>

<p>but i see you didnt take me up on my offer to bet your best lens against mine after claiming 'hoax.' look at it this way: if you lose the bet and have to fork over your 85/1.4, then you have a reason to get the new AF-S model...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>In addition to that we have to pay 19% Tax here in Germany that should be included in the price of 650 €. So in the US when ordering mail order one may not have to pay sales tax at all.<br>

So the US sale price could be slightly below 800 US$.</p>

<p><em>"one may not have to pay sales tax at all"</em> - but could possibly pay import tax or custorms duty tax. Whichever makes the lowest cost, for method of camera entry/delivery into your country.</p>

<p>I paid customs duty on Japan's electronics/optical products brought with me to the USA, right at the airport entry customs office.</p>

<p>In USA purchases from out of state dealers could be free of state sale tax, in cases where the dealer has no office in the other state of delivery. However, the recepient of the camera that was purchased with no state use/sale tax, has legal obligation to pay "use tax" for the state where the camera was delivered or used - at least this is the case in California use tax. Other states may have different rules.</p>

<p>Some deligent vendors or software makers even inform the out of state customer about the obligation to pay the state or "use" tax. Some do it gently with your shipment papers, but some do it by sending a nasty letter, after the product was delivered, e.g. maker of AutoCAD software. AutoCAD was purchased out of state, but registered with the maker residing in California, thus the softwrae registration was causing the letter.</p>

<p>That price could be the list price and not the street price. It could also include a kit lens so the body alone could be less. Or they could want to keep the price high enough to not kill sales for the D5000 and D90. Or it could replace the D5000 and D90 as well as the D3000. Or some of the information could be wrong.</p>