D3000

ramon_v__california_

<p>I am soon to part with my everyday-carry camera ------ a D60 with the 18-70mm lens (and easy access to a 35mm AF f/1.8). A granddaughter is graduating in June. I used to have a D40 and liked it a lot. And a used one is very affordable now. I don't know anything about the D3000 aside from reading a couple of honest reviews, and the Nikon site.</p>

<p>I shoot anything interesting to me ---- from a cigarette butt or crumpled empty soda cup in the middle of the street to my sweet little granddaughters when I see them on weekends.</p>

<p>Is a D300 a better choice (or worth getting) than a D60 or D40? The only thing I see is the 11 AF points.</p>

<p>Wait... it may be a typo but you mention two different cameras.</p>

<p>The D3000 and the D300 are two VERY different cameras. The D3000 is Nikon's lowest priced entry-level DSLR. I would recommend spending a little more and getting the D5000 instead, it has a better image sensor for starters. The same sensor that's in the D90, which is an excellent camera and a step up from the others you mentioned.</p>

<p>The D300 is much more expensive and also a much better camera. But it may be "too much" camera for you right now. I'd suggest the D5000 or the D90.</p>

<p>Edit: I forgot that Nikon actually replaced the D3000 with an improved version called the D3100. I'm not sure how much more improved it is... I know they upped the MP on it but I haven't looked at the specs on the sensor or anything. I want to say the D5000 is still a better performer than the D3100, but don't quote me on that.</p>

<p>A D3000 is a D60 with an improved AF sensor (with more AF points - still no in-body motor). A D3100 is a D3000 with a new sensor and video mode.</p>

<p>If you get a D3000 you won't see much change but a D3100 is a pretty substantial upgrade. It makes the D5000 obsolete, really.</p>

<p>The Nikon D3100 is a great buy and is worlds ahead of the discontinued D3000.I have one. there will be a new D5100 comong soon from what I'm reading on the web. The d300 can only be had used so you need to be careful of what you buy as they are still pretty expensive $800-900 area. The D90 is a real good deal also and the one to get if you have some older Nikkors. My 2 cents.</p>

<p>Yea, I would have to suggest the D90 again, or even it's replacement the new D7000 if you can afford to spend that much.</p>

<p>However, if money is an issue then based on what everyone else has said the D3100 would be a good choice.</p>

<p>Thank you Andy and Alan. Maybe by May the price of the D3100 will be more affordable for my budget.</p>

<p>I have a pair of D90s that I use for some weddings and baptisms that I do on the side. My day job has taken much of my time now so the D90s are more and more on the shelf. I do enjoy and make use of the video mode in my shoots and that will be neat on the D3100 for the grandkids.</p>

<p>I do a lot of business trips now and even with the 35mm f/1.8 on my D90, I find it a little on the heavy side. Maybe I'm just getting old (and lazy). Hence, I always opt for the D60 with either the 18-70mm or the 35mm. Not bad for the street also.</p>

<p>Yeah, if the weight is the issue (and I guess it would have to be important to you, since the D90 isn't really that heavy) the D3100 is definitely the way to go. Best performance-to-weight in the Nikon system.</p>

<p>But if you really want to lighten your load, maybe some sort of either mirrorless camera (like a NEX or micro 4/3) or a quality P&S like a P7000 or S95? You could switch between that and a D90 depending on your needs.</p>

<p>I have a D60, D90, and D3100. The D3100 has the image quality of the D90 (a little better even) and the size and weight of the D60. Weight is very important to me as I'm getting older, and I find that I don't use the D90 at all any more. If you can afford the D3100, get it. It only comes in a kit in the US, so by selling the kit lens, I reduced the cost of the camera. Otherwise, look for a refurbished or good used D60 or D3000. The only advantage of the D3000 over the D60 is the 11 point focusing. If that's not important a D60 might be less expensive.</p>

<p>Another possibility is to sell one of the D90's and put the money towards a D3100.</p>

<p>keh.com has a D3000 refurbished (I assume by them) with battery and charger for $299. They are one of the best sources of used gear and very reliable. They also have D60's in EX and LN- for $310-375. That refurbished D3000 looks like a good deal. D200's are selling for $500-600. If you get the D3100 kit for $550 (after instant rebate at B&H), you can sell the kit lens and the D200 and it could cover most or all of the D3100 body.</p>