D300

andycollins4716

I am primarily a Canon shooter when it comes to digital photography and until recently I haven't had a whole lot of experience with Nikon digital cameras (I've had lots of Nikon film cameras alongside my Canon film gear with the F100 being one of my all-time favorite cameras of any brand), although my significant other's D1 was my first experience ever shooting a digital camera of any kind way back when. There was a brief period of time, though, that I strongly considered moving to a Nikon digital system, and that was when the D300 was introduced. I believe I was shooting with a Canon 30D, a great camera that performed very well, but after seeing what the D300 was made up of, I was pretty envious. Actually, let's be honest, I was insanely jealous of what Nikon folks had, because in order for me to buy an equivalently well-featured camera with its performance and build, I was going to have to spend enough to buy a 1-series body, and my budget would never allow that at the time. To be honest, I think there were a lot of serious Canon shooters who felt the same way, but then the 7D came out and the world was back in balance, especially after Canon released the big firmware update that made the 7D an even more incredibly capable and well-featured body. Still, I've always wondered what the D300 was all about, and I recently happened upon a like-new example with only slightly more than 1100 shots on the shutter in near-mint condition, for under $150. It seems like an amazing body with an incredible number of features and ways to customize the camera to individual preferences (the 7D is much the same, the 7D MkII significantly more so!). The build quality is superb and it feels great in the hand. It's still very impressive all these years later! What are some of your thoughts and impressions about the D300 from your time using it and what do you consider its strengths and weaknesses? Where does it fit in the annals of Nikon cameras? I'm very interested to hear what you think.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started using mine again these last few years but with the light weight 50 F1.8 D now. Still a great camera and still returns the highest number of "keepers" per walk. It never misses. Sometimes I accidentally rotate the AF switch off my setting. A true Nikon classic in every way.
  • Like 1

I happily used my D200 for 13 years and the D300 should be better. I really liked the control layout, in some ways better than later cameras. That said, the one thing I never got comfortable with was the DX format. I just couldn't afford full frame at the time. I never had a lens that could cover the angles I wanted and was used to with my 20 mm and film bodies. Figuring I'd go full frame eventually I never wanted to buy an equivalent for the DX. The optical finders on DX cameras can never be the equals of optical full frame finders, though that's no longer an issue with mirrorless. I'd say if you want to try it, the price and condition are right- go for it. I just sold almost all my classic AiS Nikkor primes (and the D200) and I bet great lenses will be easy to find, both manual and AF.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the link, Sandy. I actually found this review a couple of days ago and read it with interest!

I will say I was surprised when I went to a favorite site for used gear and found 9 Inoperable D 300's for parts. Probably worth searching to see if they had issues, or were just ridden long and hard.

• Like 1

A D300 has been my main camera for 6-7 years starting in 2008. Two issues bothered me with it - poor dynamic range at low ISO (shared with the D700) and noise levels too high above ISO 1600. I gave it up for a D7100, followed by a D7200 when it became clear that a true D300 successor (D400) was not forthcoming. In the D7x00s, I liked the sensors but disliked the ergonomics and UI. That got solved with the appearance of the D500, the best DX DSLR Nikon ever made. I put over a 100k clicks on my main D300 and some 65k on the backup; no mechanical or electronic issues with either body. Traded them in when I upgraded from a Sony A7 to an A7II in 2017.
  • Like 3

What are some of your thoughts and impressions about the D300 from your time using it

Grateful. I used it for a long time and won multiple awards with it.

Where does it fit in the annals of Nikon cameras?

Used it when it was available and have continued to move on with Nikon's hardware progress up to the current Z system.

what do you consider its strengths and weaknesses?

It's a good camera, though I no longer use it due to these comparative "weaknesses": (1) it still uses the CF card, (2) Images above ISO 1600 are practically unusable, (3) it produces 12mp images vs the higher mp's of current cameras.

Edited by Mary Doo
  • Like 1

I have more modern cameras, but would not hesitate to shoot daylight soccer or sailing with a D300. An 18-XX, 35/1.8, and gen II 80-200/2.8 kit can be put with a D300 for not much $. Although the later x-200/2.8 zooms are better, I bought a version II 80-200/2.8 AFD for my nephew for $135 recently, it has plenty fast enough focusing, produces nice looking images, and has no AFS motor to fail. Another DSLR bargain seems to be D800 pricing.
  • Like 1

I've owned a D300 since it was introduced and found it to be a fine camera for general use. As mentioned above it is a cropped sensor, a drawback in the era of full frame sensors. Gievn its age, it may be increasingly difficult to secure any repairs needed,, so bear that in mind. And finally, your being a Canon user, why bother to skip to another brand especially an older body? To me it just doesn't make sense, but if curiosity is your thing, a D300 is a good choice.

I've owned a D300 since it was introduced and found it to be a fine camera for general use. As mentioned above it is a cropped sensor, a drawback in the era of full frame sensors. Gievn its age, it may be increasingly difficult to secure any repairs needed,, so bear that in mind. And finally, your being a Canon user, why bother to skip to another brand especially an older body? To me it just doesn't make sense, but if curiosity is your thing, a D300 is a good choice.

Curiosity is the main reason by far, and the price was do-able. In addition to that though, while I'm primarily a Canon shooter, I have film cameras from several brands including Nikon, among them a couple of F100s that I've had for 15 years or so, so I have a number of AF Nikkors to use with the D300. While photography is a passion, I also simply enjoy using different cameras, much to the serious concern of my significant other.

Curiosity is the main reason by far, and the price was do-able. In addition to that though, while I'm primarily a Canon shooter, I have film cameras from several brands including Nikon, among them a couple of F100s that I've had for 15 years or so, so I have a number of AF Nikkors to use with the D300. While photography is a passion, I also simply enjoy using different cameras, much to the serious concern of my significant other.

My son-in-law is happy using one of my D300 with the 18-200mm.

• Like 1