D300 - just some thoughts

errol_young

<p>I usually shoot with D7000 or D7100 for money but recently I had to cover an event in a drizzle. I did not want to take them out in that so I looked at my older D300 that is better weather sealed.<br>

It did really well. I was going to sell it but I now have a use for it. </p>

<div>00dvxJ-562968284.thumb.jpg.761a05720054e57151064cf819598373.jpg</div>

<p>Errol, I don't think you should take the "weather seal" for granted. I felt that my D700 was way better (or D3 for that matter), but I had a plastic sleeve on a stand-by....just in case I ran into some rain. Nikon, much like any other camera manuf would quickly point the finger at you for *abuse* and charge you at the discovery of swimming electronics. Sorry, but weather seal is not water-proofing. Nonetheless, you can continue to take chances...</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>My interpretation of weather sealed is "ok for light rain or mist". I have AquaTech and Nikon rain covers for both of my bodies when shooting football and rain is in the forecast. Water has a funny way of finding the smallest opening. And even if the weather sealing keeps all moisture out, by having a cover it is one less thing I have to do when I get home (wiping down and drying the body and lens). And besides, after you have spent $2000 - $6000 for a body and $2400 - $6000 for a lens, what is another $50 - $100 to add another layer pf protection?</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I use a D300 for nature photography when I need the extra 1.5x on my long lenses without having to give up a f/ stop with a TC. It is still a very viable camera as long as you keep the ISO at 400 or below. Much above that and things get a little "icky" when it comes to noise, especially in the lower values of the image.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that "weather sealed" is a rather ambiguous term. It does <em>not</em> mean it is water <em>proof by any means. </em>But in light drizzle you might be able to get away with it for a little while but I would not push it much past that. </p>