D300 DEAD won't power on

don_clayton_bell

<p><strong>There's been a lot of owners</strong>, on this site and other photo sites, that had their D300 go completely <em>"DEAD"</em> for no apparent reason. I'd like to hear from <strong><em>YOU, </em></strong>if you had this problem, repaired it thru Nikon Service Center, what it was contributed to, how long have you had it back, and any further problem? Mine's at Nikon now. With less than 100 shots at 5 week. My serial number is <strong>3159521 </strong>I like to know if camera serial nos. are close? Read a lot about the trouble, just not about the fixes...........Thanks</p>

<p>Don,<br>

I've not heard about a lot of dead D300. Jim Fenton went to almost every forum on the Internet & made a huge deal about his. Yes there were issues with some battery stuff. Nikon has fixed that with firmware updates. So as far as I know - that's all taken care of.<br>

If you have not updated your firmware - than that's probably the problem....<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>"There's been a lot of owners</strong>, on this site and other photo sites, that had their D300 go completely <em>"DEAD"</em> for no apparent reason."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Don, I see this is your first post. Welcome to photo.net.</p>

<p>But sorry, I am not at all aware of this. Early in the D300's cycle, there were a few cases of the so called "False Battery Low" issue. But as far as I know, that only affected a small number of D300's, and that was fixed via a firmware patch. About 2 weeks ago, we had the following thread in this forum, and most D300 owners reported no problems at all: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00SCGt">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00SCGt</a><br>

<br />Could you provide some links to existing threads on photo.net to support your claim?</p>

<p>P.S. Here is a long thread on the "False Battery Low" issue: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00OT2O">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00OT2O</a></p>

<p>Don, I have not heard of "a lot of owners" having this issue. I have read of people updating their firmware incorrectly and having trouble. Please define what you mean by "a lot of owners". The dead battery indicator problem was fixed with the firmware update.<br>

Dick</p>

<p>Sorry guys, but the Battery problem, fixed by firmware gave a "low battery" warning. I'm talking about completely DEAD nothing Not Even Shots Remaining Count. And, yes there's documentation including this site. I'm not real good on computer and posting......just learning how. But Google search served me on investigating problem. You've got several here. But, I can't find followups. Give me a little help. I loved my camera! And yes I updated my firmware the day I rec'd my camera, have 5 batteries all charged, disconnect lens, turned on and off, and walked Nikon Tech thru it on the phone. Now being a new owner of a great camera with a problem and it maybe small to some but it's huge to me.<br />On on Jan. 9, 2009 Dead then the one at the State Capitol with 6 out of 9 cameras. etc. Not knocking D300 just looking for answers. Thanks And, YES I'll agree a FEW out of millions is not a LOT except for those few that have a DEAD camera.</p>

<p><strong><em>Reme' </em></strong>you just had one posted on <strong>Jan 9, 2009</strong> <br>

photo.net/<strong>nikon-camera-forum</strong>/00RyDQ<br />I hope this is how you add a insert. Sorry, but the many post on sites are "er"r errors and a few if you read on are completey<strong> DEAD</strong>. Could be just wording ,not sure. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=2418329">Lil Judd</a> - Yes, I've read, Jim Fenton's post. and out of the 3-4 million D300 there's many that have had NO problems. <br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=4616138">Joseph Braun</a>- Do some searches .... changing your wordings<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=24372">S</a><a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=24372">hun Cheung</a> - I read your postings every time I'm on the Website, Thanks!<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=3934868">Richard Armstrong</a> - First thing I did the day I got my D300<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=2301406">Rene' Villela</a> - Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so hard. Please forgive me......being a old (64) Southern Gentleman I know better. It's taken days for me to join this site due to problems that Ms Ball and the Technical Dept. couldn't fix to get it to let me signup. I just needed to VENT..........not make anyone Mad.<br>

Thanks again for all those coming back to me!</p>

<p>Don, you said your D300 just goes completely dead. And we have a few cases of the false battery low problem, which admittedly Nikon was very slow to come up with a solution. And there is this one case that someone's D300 shows "Err" and needs repair.<br>

<br />Given that initially Nikon was manufacturing 80,000 D300 bodies a month for several months, I am not aware that "a lot" of them are having problems. Quite to the contrary, a recent thread from two weeks ago demonstrates that by far the majority of D300 owners have no issues, including me.<br>

<br />Sorry that your D300 has problems. Hopefully Nikon can fix it soon, but I think it is very unfair to claim that a lot of D300 have problems.</p>

<p>See my recent post, Dec 17th?</p>

<p><a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00RpfM">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00RpfM</a><br>

Nikon took a few weeks (about 4) and replaced the main circuit board...among other things. $200. What happened? They also replaced the CF card slot connection (Matt Lauer had asked a clever question if I had any bent pins, and it seemed that I had not, but I had that problem a few months ago and fixed it myself, so I thought it true, true and unrelated), and as I have read a short from the pins can fry the camera....<br>

But yes, the thing just died on me.....</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=24372">Shun Cheung</a> - Once again, I'm<strong><em> NOT</em></strong> bad mouthing the D300 or Nikon, I was just asking a question. If anyone had the DEAD camera problem. I've read all posting for days (since 1/27/09) on the Web and there have been a FEW problems of D300 going completely DEAD and not from battery. Read <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2390878">Benjamin Schaefer</a> posting above and <a title="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=4780788" href="../photodb/user?user_id=4780788">Krista Rose Breece</a> I think 1/9/09 on PN. She had the problem after a year. Now you being <strong>AT&T Bell Labs</strong> you understand "<strong><em>Risk Factors</em></strong>" On the posting you've memtioned, Yes the 20-30 replies were all happy customers. But, there are a few 3-5 that have had the DEAD problem. <br>

Also, I'm a firm believer of the human race, that can afford a D300, 99% read the manual, buy DVDs covering the operation, check out the Nikon tutorials, and etc. Not everything is human or operator error! at 80,000 production monthly there has to be some % of quality control missed! I'm just looking for info. on those. Tryng to narrow the possible cause of the problem.<br>

<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2390878">Benjamin Schaefer</a> - Thanks for coming to my rescue! I was beginning to believe ....I'd only dreamed others had this problem.</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4012724">David Chu</a> - Now, Just think about it. If you've owned a camera before the D300 and if it was a DSLR with menu. Then maybe you wouldn't read the whole manual. But, if you had a question you'd grab the manual. Just as I did with my problem. Wasn't listed in "TroubleShooting", then I went to Internet, after reading a heck of lot of different postings, I then called Nikon Technical. <br>

It's like a computer, if you understand "DOS" then go to "Windows" it's Not impossible to understand. If you don't change the Operating System. " ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, f/stops, etc., and then there's the "AUTO PROGRAM" for the Point and Shoot photographers. <br>

There's always been the type of "Professional" that never wants to help or give away the trade seceret of photography. What a shame <strong>Not</strong> to pass on knowledge. Wonder where they got all their knowledge? You do not have to understand how a piece of equipment works; to be the GREAT OPERATOR of that equipment! Just my 2 cents worth....and I grew up in a family photography studio and film processing!</p>

<p>I've never heard reports on any of the forums of D300 just dying--except for the battery issue and the firware upgrade fixed that. Given the number of D300s out there, there certainly will be a few with manufacturing issues. But I have not seen or heard anything the indicated a trend in this area.</p>

<p>Don, I don't think anyone here is disagreeing with you that your D300 went dead. Really, very sorry to hear that.</p>

<p>But like others, I visit the forums out there and have never heard any widespread problem about the D300 simply dying other than what's been mentioned. I am sure there are others like yourself that have had a D300 die on them. These are electronics, after all, so lots of possibilities here. Sorry, I tried to reproduce a Google search but still can't find anything that suggests this has happened to 'a lot' of people. </p>

<p>Hi Don!<br>

First of all don't worry! I don't take things personal and i know you must be frustrated with your camera not working! <br>

That thread, Yeah! I read it. Ok, her camera gave her an error warning. I understood that your had nothing at all. just dead, no warning. anyway, i just hope you get your camera working soon! Cheers!</p>

<p>Don, the only logical way to pursue the goal you stated in your original post - trying to determine if there's a pattern based on feedback from other owners - is to set up a survey or poll using standard methodology to ensure the results are statistically significant. Anecdotes on discussion forums can't serve that purpose.</p>

<p>That must be frustrating, and though I don't read every post here re Nikon's, I haven't heard of this problem though by the posts you have listed it appears that it does happen. But I tend to think if it was wide spread, it would have been discussed ad nauseam here. Have you contacted Nikon or the store you bought it at? No fun if it's your only camera, but it should be under warranty, right? The point is, not to minimize the issue, but I think it's very very rare. Just move on, send it back and get on with it. I don't think there's a Nikon conspirecy to hide some known production or design problem common place in many D300's. It looks like you just got a "lemon".</p>

<p>I asked a question about the reliability of the D300 two, maybe three weeks ago, because I thought I noticed a disproportionate number of of varying complaints on this model. Most of the people responding had not experienced any problems, but this thread raises the issue again independently, which do make one wonder. I've had my D300 for three or four months now with few issues myself, but there must be something behind these complaints that Nikon should forthrightly address, if only to say there are no disproportionate number of problems with the D300, as compared to similar models. Bruce Campbell </p>

<p>Bruce, Nikon must have sold close to 1 million units of the D300. If there were indeed a disproportionate number of problems, you should see at least 20, 30 individual complaints in a thread like this. The fact of the matter is that this thread has been around for a full day now and after people dig up old threads, there are no more than 4 to 5 separate complaints of all problems that require repair other than the False Battery Low issue.</p>

<p>If anything, that is very low for such a popular camera.</p>

<p>P.S. In the early months of the D300, Nikon ran three shifts around the clock at their Thailand factory to produce 80K D300 bodies a month.</p>

<p>This thread has now been around for two days.</p>

<p>As far as I can tell, we have exactly two people reporting that their working D300 goes completely dead all of a sudden, (1) Don Clayton Bell, the OP, and (2) Benjamin Schaefer. Krista Rose Breece had the non-specific Err indication on her D300 that requires repair. And finally Wei Who reports a D300 dead on arrival; those problems are frequently related to shipping issue (e.g. dropped during shipping).<br />Therefore, if you count all symptoms, we have a grand total of 4 cases that D300's require repair or replacement.</p>

<p><br />In the thread Bruce Campbell started two weeks ago: <a rel="nofollow" href="../nikon-camera-forum/00SCGt">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00SCGt</a>, there was exactly one person whose D300 required repairs, and that was Sanford Gerald and the only reason his D300 required repairs was dust entering under the rear LCD.</p>

<p>That was why from the very beginning, I requested for references to those "a lot of problems." Would those who have problems with their D300 cameras please speak up?</p>

<P>

<B>I am switching the status for this thread to urgent so that it'll appear at the top of the list for a week to get people's attention.</B>

</P>