D300 Broken Multi-selector switch - how to change spot focus points

glenn_francis

<p>Hi Glenn. I think you're in trouble. Except on the cameras with an additional AF joystick (like the D4/D5/D500), I'm not aware of a way to do it - it's not like Canons where you can use a command dial. The lack of multi-selector will cripple quite a lot of camera use, too (e.g. reviewing images), so it wouldn't be something I'd suffer longer than I had to.<br />

<br />

Depending on what exactly broke, it might not be a hugely expensive repair. But a used D300 isn't hugely expensive either (by modern DSLR standards) if you need to replace it. Sorry not to have a better suggestion.</p>

<p>The "joystick" selector switch on my D800 has become sloppy but still works. I looked into replacing it and it appears that a complete new camera back has to be bought and fitted. The switch doesn't seem to be available as a replacement part, nor its components.</p>

<p>So I'll second Barry's recommendation to get a cheap battery grip and use the selector switch on the grip. Clumsy, but it works.</p>

<p>Edward: you can navigate the menus with the control wheels, and you can scroll through images with them - but you can't move around an image that you're viewing (if you've zoomed in), which makes the image review a bit primitive. And I don't believe you can move the AF points with the control wheels; I did rummage in the D300 manual just in case it had something special for this.<br />

<br />

Good thought everyone with the battery grip - I should have thought of that. I'm glad Glenn has an option - especially if my guess about repair cost was optimistic!</p>

<p>Nikon's own MB-D10 does have its own mini multi-select pad. That solution may work, but I am not sure you want to use that tiny pad while the D300 is in the horizontal orientation.</p>

<p>Used D300 are so inexpensive in the used market nowadays. You might consider replacement, perhaps with a newer model. Of course, the D300/D300S didn't have a direct successor until the D500 this year. Not sure moving to a D7x00 is something you want to consider.</p>

<p>I have an intermittent fault with my d700 which replicates the joystick lock function for focus point selection. Annoying although it still works for image scrolling and menu selection. A good slap usually gets it working again which I prefer to the £200+ nikon wanted to repair it. My point for the op is that when I attach the grip during "fault mode" the fault applies to the grip control as well. You might want to test the grip idea before you buy.</p>