D300 battery life

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by tom_luongo|1, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Has anyone else noticed drastically increased battery life with their D300 compared to a D200? I shot some youth basketball last night and with only 18% battery life used, as indicated by the menu display, I took 323 shots. Conditions - Continuous servo, 9 point dynamic mode AF. ISO 3200, 1/250 at f/3.2 manual exposure. 70-200 VR lens. Compressed 12-bit RAW. I did a lot of sequences, so I was chimping minimally with the D300 compared to how I usually shoot other things with the D200, but the 323 shots still extrapolate to almost 1800 shots on one battery.
    00Njn1-40499184.jpg

2. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

That is completely expected, partly because the D300 uses a CMOS sensor instead of CCD on the D200. I have shoot 400 images with 8 AA's in the MB-D10 and it still shows full. That is why I think it is unnecessary to buy the EN-EL4 and charger for the MB-D10.

3. >>> That is completely expected, partly because the D300 uses a CMOS sensor instead of CCD on
    the D200.

And, also aided by the fact that the processing/control integrated circuits in newer products
    employ finer semiconductor geometries and better processes. From that comes lower power
    dissipation as one of the benefits.

4. Hey Tom---As a long time user of the D200 and now also the D300, I find the the battery
    life on my D300 easily 3-4 times longer. This is real progress. I also like the idea that the
    battery is interchangable with D200 and also can be used in D70 when these cameras are
    carried as backup bodies. I tend to use the battery packs on both cameras to have 2
    batteries on board, thus twice the battery life and vert. shutter release.