D3 - Wedding Photography - 24-85mm f/2.8 - 4.0

russell_macdonald1

<p>I have just purchased a D3 for my wedding business and I know I need the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens but can't afford it just now.<br>

I have an old 35-70mm f/2.8 push-pull lens from my film days that has fantastic IQ, but 35mm is often not wide enough for wedding shots.<br>

So, I picked up a 24-85mm f/2.8 - 4.0, and that is a really nice zoom range, but I am concerned about the image quality. I have not tried it on a wedding yet, but in playing around with it, I am getting some vignetting at 85mm. I can correct that in CS3, but I wonder if there are other anomalies with this lens?<br>

This afternoon, I am shooting an outdoor wedding and planning to use the 24-85mm. I am pretty sure it will do fine when stopped down to f/4. In fact, f/5.6 is probably the widest stop I'll be using in daylight with TTL-BL FP fill flash. Later at the reception I'll try it with regular TTL flash and keep it at f/4 so the aperture won't keep changing on me.<br>

So, my question is: Does anyone else use the 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0 for weddings or events? Do you find it gives you high enough IQ for 11x14s? How about the occassional 16x20?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Russ</p>

<p>It's all subjective. I frequently use the lens (on a D300) and have no issues with. In fact, I really like lens. I picked it up off CL for a really low price and frankly, I think it's a gem. I don't have the 24-70, I do have the 17-55. Is the 24-85 as sharp, as rich, as quick? No. Will anyone other than a professional photographer notice. No (especially after Raw processing anyway). That said, I may have opted for a D700 (which is still a dream) and the 24-70!</p>

<p>I suggest you download a trial version of DXO 5.3. It fully supports your 24-85mm lens and will easily correct vignetting and other lens/IQ issues.</p>

<p>I have the lowly, disliked 24-120mm lens and it works great with the D3. And DXO really makes the images I shoot with it shine.</p>

<p>I have the lens and I've used it for weddings on DX cameras. I think image quality is good enough for professional work but at 24mm the barrel distortion is too much for my personal taste. However many zooms, for instance the pro level 17-55 f/2.8 and 17-35 f/2.8 are equally bad or worse at their widest setting.</p>

<p>Russell, I also have the 24-85. It's a pretty decent lens, especially in daylight. </p>

<p>I have done 100% crop comparisons between it and the 17-35. At virtually all comparative ranges, the 17-35 is sharper and contrastier up to f/5.6-8 but you have to pixel peep to see some of the subtle differences, at least with my copies. I suspect the difference with the 24-70 would be at least similar, if not more noticable.</p>

<p>If you can stay in the f/5.6-8 range for an outdoor event, it should work pretty well. At f/4, it will be a bit more compromised. Maybe enough to make you happy, maybe not.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I had 24-85 f/2.8-4, which I used with my D700 for few events. I was able to print upto 12x18, without any problems. But sometimes, it does produces soft images even in bright day light. It needs to be stopped down to f/8 for print of 12x18 and above.<br>

I recently sold that lens and bought 24-70 2.8. Only drawback is it's heavy. Also, there is a difference in the resolution produced by these two lenses. Is it worth spending extra $$$$$$ ???? Entirely your call.</p>