D3 vs. D700 which is best for only natural lighting only situations?

stacie_spradlin

<p>I like to do weddings and portraiture both in and out of studios.. However, I have always been a single light source shooter. I usually like to use the existing lighting for my pictures.. I am not a pro by no means and have tried to make money and have shooting weddings and portraits and love it, however, I have been using a D80 with simple lens set up and two nicer lenses. nikon 50mm F1.8 and a 10-17mm F3.5 I believe, not sure as I am not up with the techs on stuff. I am a little "old school" and only recently used digital starting in 2007. But I have used film large formats in studio using only single light portraits and loved them.. I would like to know this... I am able to upgrade to a nicer nikon D. So, with saying this.. I need to know which is better for no light or low, dim lighting situations which will be able to do what I need it to and still come out with some awesome night wedding photos or portraits that have little or no noise with extreme ISO's? & saying this with the so-so lenses I have, what do I need to buy to help accomplish this with the cameras before me? I have a friend that has done some awesome night long exposure shots with a canon, so I am not really wanting a canon. What in the nikon world would accomplish this for me? Most of the places I shoot are limited, no lighting or bad lighting and reflections.. thanks... I would like to do more photography jobs and so I really need to get my nikon set-up accomplished. Can you help..? Here are a few of my photos on my website---<br>

www.dwoodstudio.com </p>

<p>Oh and what I mean by "old school" is this. I have a couple of dials and I turn them check lighting and click the pic.. Not used to all the high tech stuff and lens ranges. Most of the time the film format cameras of old had only a couple of lenses and the range was what you made it by focusing and moving yourself and the camera.. LOL.. so sorry I may be messed up when it comes to specifics.. thanks..</p>

<blockquote>

<h1>D3 vs. D700 which is best for only natural lighting only situations?</h1>

<p>I need to know which is better for no light or low, dim lighting situations</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are asking two different questions.<br>

Regardless, the D3 and D700 share the same sensor...so no difference in that regard.</p>

<p>either camera will be a major step up from your D80 for low- and limited-lighting situations. indeed, they both share the same "insides," so image quality is practically identical. what the D3 offers over the D700 is a more "pro" build, but what you get out of it would be no better than with a D700.<br>

this is speaking about the D3, however, NOT the new D3s, which blows the socks off other nikons that came before it. now, there is a camera that we could only dream about before...<br>

read the info in the link provided by stan schurman -- it's what you want to know, and will help you make an informed choice.</p>

<p>The original D3 and the D700 have identical sensors and internal electronics. Therefore, you should observe essentially identical results from the two cameras.</p>

<p>I am sure the OP is already aware of this thread: <a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00RNoP">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00RNoP</a><br>

And we have another similar thread today: <a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00VULj">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00VULj</a></p>

<p>However, the new D3S is even better now.</p>

<p>Hi Stacie,</p>

<p>The best performer in low light is the new D3s... But if you are not in the budget for it, you can do very well with D700. I shoot events mostly in available light (sometime very poor) and I do quite well with D700. What I'd recommend you very strong, in order to maximize the potential of your new D whatever will be is to plan add a few primes that are at least equal in importance with a new pro camera. </p>

<p>Nikon 50mm/f1.2 AIs - if you don't like MF lenses (I cann't believe that an "old school person" doesn't like those gems...) you can pick Sigma 50mm/f1.4 without to go wrong...</p>

<p>Nikon 85mm/f1.4 AF-D</p>

<p>Nikon 135mm/f2 DC</p>

<p>For wide angle I use for now a Sigma 24mm/f1.8 and I dream for a Zeiss 21mm/f2.8 sometime in future. But Sigma is very decent for events... I have no complaints.</p>

<p>Sometimes, when I need a longer reach I put in my bag Nikon 180mm/f2.8 and that's it!</p>

<p>I don't say to purchase all of these lenses... you may not need all... but definitely you have to upgrade a little bit your stuff to balance well with your new camera.</p>

<p>What is the real difference between the D3 and D3s? The only thing I noticed was one had video and the other doesn't which doesn't concern me.. Thanks for the inputs and I will probably end up going for the D3, but not sure.. would rather spend the money on sweet lenses than the body but need something that I won't want to change out for several years or so..</p>

<p><em>I am sure the OP is already aware of this thread: <a rel="nofollow" href="00RNoP">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00RNoP</a> <br /> And we have another similar thread today: <a rel="nofollow" href="00VULj">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00VULj</a> </em><br>

Oh, and yes, I had already read the above articles.. They just didn't help me in deciding as these two people needed the cameras for a different reason and the answers seemed a little off the subject to several other body styles and what they can do..</p>

<p>The D3S has these additional capabilities over the D3:</p>

<ul>

<li>Improved sensor with about an extra 1 to 1.5 stops of high-ISO results. Rated ISO goes from 200 to 12800 (vs. 6400 for the D3/D700)</li>

<li>Video mode with still JPEG capture from video. Also comes with that a dedicated button for live view, but that Lv button is in a very awkward position.</li>

<li>Larger memory buffer, about twice as big as the original D3 and D700</li>

<li>Auto sensor cleaning</li>

<li>Quiet shutter mode</li>

<li>New 1.2x crop mode in addition to DX crop and 5:4 crop</li>

<li>Dedicated Info button</li>

<li>Display of custom settings as a summary across the bottom of the back LCD (I believe the D3 doesn't have those)</li>

</ul>

<p>The battery for the D3 is a "tank." The battery for the D700 is the same size as you have been using for your D80.</p>

<p>If you can live with ISO 6400 (i.e., low noise) -- the D700 will do you well on a low-light wedding event. The lens you use would have to include how steady your hands are, or if you use a monopod or tripod.</p>

<p>If you really enjoy a heavy camera, the D3 is that.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You'll love the FF for your weddings, for sure. If it was me, I'd start by renting either a D3 or D3s and shoot with it for a long day around the city or something (emulating a long day wedding shoot). If at the end of the day (or a couple days later) you're hating the weight or size then go with the D700 and at least three batteries, you'll be very happy you did.<br /><br />If you love the D3/D3s then start weighing the pros/cons of the extra features vs the much costlier bodies and their costly accessories. I shoot a D3 and love the features (like 5:4, speed, dual card) and especially battery life, but I also like the large frame and don't mind the weight. I find I can work much faster with the D3, but that mostly comes into play with sports and wildlife. People are a bit slower and more predictable.<br /><br />If I were you and I really wanted the D3/D3s but really can't justify the cost over the D700, then think about a low click used D3 vs a new D700 and put the extra $$$ into some nice primes. There's still some D3's out there that are in like new shape and you might get one for the same cost as a new D700, or a few hundred more. Those f1.4 and f2.0 lenses will do more for you in the long run than a costly body. Think total wedding solution, not just body.<br /><br />If you have money to burn, get the D3s and some nice primes. You'll be very happy.</p>

<p>Stacie, once you jump on the Digital Gravy Train, you'll find that it is an expensive ride. I wish I had the opportunity to buy the D700 over the D3, but there was no such thing at the time. The D700 is lighter and smaller, and the current D cameras aren't worth the premiuim they once were. The premium is a lot more than it used to be, however the D cameras are no where near as well made as they were at their peak - F3, F4, and F5...probably the F6 but I can't vouch for that. Just be aware Stacie that you aren't buying a camera like your large format rigs. These digicams are essentially disposable cameras, so the more you spend, the more you'll lose end the end.</p>

<p>The D3 is very well made and I prefer it over my D700 (just). The weight issue is not an issue IMHO. If we're that weak we can't carry around a D3 that weighs only marginally more than the D700 (and less when the D700 has a battery grip attached) then we need to look seriously at our physical condition. If you do weddings then the dual card slot of the D3 is a good sales pitch to prospective clients, although in reality a CF card failure from a Sandisk is highly unlikely. Go for a used mint condition, low shutter count D3.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have both cameras (the D3 and D700) and I tend to use the D3 mostly for people photography because of its integral vertical grip (obviously the D700 also can take an accessory vertical grip). Also the D3 is good in wintertime because the battery lasts (almost) forever; with the D700 in -10 C temperatures I frequently have to take off my L-bracket and replace the battery because of its lower capacity (probably not relevant to you). However, for the most part they are very close in functionality.</p>

<p>If you can afford the D3, you probably can afford the D3s also. It offers improvements (e.g. sensor shaker, video, better SNR, improved sensor optics which allegedly results in slightly sharper images) which may be worthwhile for your applications. Although the big body might seem like a deterrance I have found it to be very ergonomic for vertical shooting and actually think it helps keep my back healthy when photographing long events mostly without flash. When using a hot shoe flash on the camera, the extra weight does tend to become a burden. The D700 allows the option of no vertical grip but it has some annoyances such as a 95% viewfinder and somewhat clumsy use of the 24 PC-E (which is not strictly necessary for weddings but useful for getting perspective corrected images of e.g. the church, adding a nice touch).</p>

<p>In summary I think either camera would work and give a huge advantage in low light over the D80. If you want to save money and/or the option of shooting with a lighter body, get the D700. If you want the best IQ money can buy, integrated vertical grip, 100% viewfinder and video, get the D3s. At this point I would not buy a new D3.</p>

<p>J<em>ust be aware Stacie that you aren't buying a camera like your large format rigs. These digicams are essentially disposable cameras, so the more you spend, the more you'll lose end the end.</em><br>

I have to agree, yet, where I live here in Austin Texas. Everyone is an artist and so it is really challenging to try to get your foot in the door so to speak in making money without having the best equipment and here, most people have the cash to flow for the expensive stuff.. I on the other hand want to get the most for my money and that is why I have been really reluctant to go digital.. until I found it cost more to do film and most people don't want to see there proofs in person, they would rather go online, pick them, buy them and never see your face again... We have lost our professional personal attention we once had as photographers.. which kind of sucks.. but hey, I will go with the flow and so that is why I have been in such debate on these bodies for the reason stated above... I will however, take the advice of renting them.. They have precision camera here and they rent out bodies and lenses at a decent cost per day.. I will do that first and then decide.<br>

I don't mind the weight as I am used to holding medium formats (old) that are heavy and very still.. so I have a pretty steady hand.. but the pros of the D3s are attractive for the use of extra memory and such... but I just think I hate to spend $5K on it.. I have not ever had to spend soo much for a camera and I guess I am a penny pincher that way LOL...<br>

I will keep everyone informed as to what I decide on and I will then post some photos from the camera I decide on so that way I can show why I chose the camera.. I really do need one for night photography and poor lighting situations.. or dim candlelight styles..<br>

Thanks again for all your support.. :)</p>

<p>BTW: does anyone recommend a place to buy my camera once I decide on it.? I am looking at that as well.. Who offers pretty good customer service, warranty guarantees that are easy to deal with (just in case I drop it in the water or spill champagne on it LOL). Let me know, I would love to hear the feedback. Thank You :)</p>