D3 seals in goodness, keeps muddy muck out

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by ellis_vener_photography, Apr 8, 2011.

1. http://www.petapixel.com/2011/04/08/this-muddy-nikon-d3-shows-the-benefits-of-weather-sealing/
    (As he read this Joe McNally is desperately figuring out how he can top this way to trash his NPS loaners!;-)

2. Good to know, not something I am personally wanting to confirm with my own equipment ... :)

3. It has already been said, but worth repeating; WOW!

4. I accidentally dunked my D700 and killed it. The weather sealing is obviously better at the absolute top end!

5. As exciting as that mudded-up D3 looks, I don't think that's the same as a proper dunking. You're seeing muddy hand prints and spatter, not true U-Boat Photography, there. I've come close to getting my D300 to look like that (and no harm done!), but I'm sure it wouldn't survive even a brief submersion.

6. Sorry, not impressed. A few muddy hand prints aren't the same as soaking a camera in water. Mud tends not to penetrate, it just sticks to the outside and looks nasty. And the thicker the mud, the less it gets into things.
    Show me somebody pulling their D3 out of 2 foot of water and continuing to shoot as if nothing happened, and THEN I might join in the chorus of "Wow!". But why applaud these careless dudes anyway? It's not everyone that can write off their cameras to expenses or spurious insurance claims.