D3 NEF files not recognized by Mac G4 IBook/Preview

With my previous Nikon DSLRs, then D200 and D2Xs, the supplied 'Preview' app could interpret the NEF

files no problem, but Preview doesn't recognize the D3 NEFs. Is there anyway to make Preview work with

D3 NEFs, or am I out of luck until my next computer upgrade?

There is a problem not with windows v Mac, but one with too many "formats" generated by camera manufactures. They seem to want a new "format" with each new camera, Ten years from now there will be hundreds and then support for the oldest will start dropping off. That may be more of an issue than not being able to acess data. The computer people can not keep up.

Adobe`s solution is DNG, a universal raw format like JPEG is universal.

But Canon and Nikon insist they need their own to get the best quality. Maybe true, maybe not. But support will have to wane sometime in the future for all old cameras.

Somehow we all managed to settle on 35mm film, not 35.5mm, not 34.9, but all the same. This is THE format. Work with it please.

Also everybody has a dog in the fight to sell their own software too which is part of the problem. Leica and Pentax and Nikon did not sell their own film, but they are selling their own software.

For me, I am saving NEF and DNG and JPEGS and pray something works.

NK guy is right all you need to do is upgrade your OS to You need Mac OS X

10.5.2. I just did that on an old 15 inch Mac powerbook same issue, but beware you

need at least PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor.

Good point Garrison K.

You may want to book mark this too. According to Microsoft 93% precent of the

world uses windows. Also according to Microsoft over 60% precent of professional

photographers use Macs. Go figure.

BTW I use both 8)

"Also according to Microsoft over 60% precent of professional photographers use Macs. Go figure."

I doubt that very much. Mainly because of the vagueness of what constitutes a "professional photographer". Whatever the number happens to be, it will surely change when CS4 is 64 bit for windows. I'm sure a few Mac users will go "hmm...$1600 and a phone call to Adobe for a platform change, I could cut my processing time in half. hmm..."

When Mac and coca get sorted for Adobe and CS is then offered in 64 bit, I might just switch back for arguments sake. Might. I just hate monopolies, oligarchy's etc. CS4 on Ubuntu would make my world happy.