D3 happiness... still

Rob Davies

Well I should be suffering buyers remorse by now, but I as it currently stands

I still very happy with the D3.

The weather has improved a bit, I wasn't keen to test the weather sealing (I'm

sure it works great).

Still trying to find the best settings in lightroom at various ISOs... if

anyone has any to share that woud be appreciated.

As others have observed I see pretty bad vignetting on the 70-200 up to f4/f4.5

but I barely see any with the 24-70 at 24mm at f4 and beyond.<div>00OsTr-42440684.jpg.83751117fcd1abfefc355dc051666cfd.jpg</div>

Hi Robert,

I'm glad you are enjoying your D3; I'm envious.

"As others have observed I see pretty bad vignetting on the 70-200 up to f4/f4.5..."

> Seems like this is more of a problem for FX than it is for film; the digital sensor, the image circle, and the issue of "telecentricity" combine to cause this issue which will likely be addressed when Nikon updates this lens.

"Nic, if you live in a world of 18% grey then you would be correct. :)

However, that is exactly as I saw it (and exactly how it looked)."

> Color is a tricky issue. Were her eyes white when you looked at her, or completely jaundiced? If I held a gray or white card up to you in the lighting you took that shot in, your brain would still recognize it as gray or white even if everything else around it looked yellow. Did the girl in your last shot have no color and appear B&W?

Nic no worries.. to be fair it is borderline, but that was wonderful late afternoon UK sunshine (in fairly short supply at the moment) and I didn't really want to mess with it.

Anthony.. you are correct, colour is a very subjective thing.

With regards the vignetting it is reasonably easy to correct, and in the 5:4 mode is no issue at all.

Robert just present it as you feel. The image may show the only few hours of UK - sunshine this year^^. Keep that memory. If this carries you over summer so be it. BTW: I have seen sunset image that looked red. Where did "exact" WB come in there or are such shots always done using cheap cameras? I heard rumors that expensive cameras image reality :-P My problem is I do not know exactly what reality is. OK Easter is the time for philosophy^^.

Yes the D3 feels good. Once the days of being broke are gone there is no remorse.

"BTW: I have seen sunset image that looked red. Where did "exact" WB come in there or are such shots always done using cheap cameras?"

> If you use a gray card to adjust WB on a sunset or sunrise you will get ghastly results. If you set the camera to Daylight WB you will get the colors much closer to the way you saw them. Artificial lighting is harder to pin down because our brains make selective adjustments (use a gray card to adjust WB and the wall no longer looks as yellow as you saw it, but the person standing in front of it looks closer to how you saw them) and further complicating matters is that no two brains see the world or its colors exactly the same way.