D2X Wedding Images

tony_cabrera

OK guys, I know these files won't do justice to the quality of the

images. But at least you can see some samples.

I posted pics on my folder of a wedding I did this past Saturday

using a D2X, 17-55DX, and 70-200VR.

What can I say, the camera is awesome! No complaints so far...

Hi Tony. Thanks for sharing! Can you I ask you some technical details? What flash did you use for the indoor shots and what more did you shoot at? Also, the black and white, were they straight from the D2X or did you shoot color and desaturated it while post processing? Also, at what iso did you mainly shoot at. Some of your shots are very nice and lots of good detail on them. Did you get a chance to try it in higher iso?

Juan -

"What flash" - SB800

"black and white, were they straight from the D2X" - No, did them on PSCS, D2X doesn not have B&W settings (as far as I know)

"what iso" - 100 outdoors, 320 indoor reception, between 500-800 at church. Hi1/Hi2 has significant noise so I probably won't use that.

"what more did you shoot at?" - not much but this wedding

The detail is there, no doubt about it. If you wander over to nikonians.org, there's plenty of people and links sharing full size JPGs and NEF files. (20mb files)

Very nice work Tony, I'm sure the bride and her mother will be quite please. Nice blend of

traditional stuff and creative/edgy stuff too.

D2x. Dang. D2x.

I've got to stop thinking about that darn thing, it's only a camera, it's only a camera!!!!

@&&^%$#@

(Well, nuts. I swore I was taking a few days off from photo.net to rest my back but I couldn't help eavesdropping for a few minutes...)

Tony, those photos are gorgeous. Especially the first one. That bride is a doll. You really captured her personality. It's almost enough to make me believe in marriage again.

I still say it's the photographer and not the camera, tho'. ;>

THANKS ALL for your compliments, it's nice to hear from photo.neters

Norman - I haven't printed these. I'm not a full time photographer so I don't own any professional printers. I go to a local lab for prints that also do wedding photography. They use a combination of fujis and epsons depending on the volume I guess. Technically I have copyright for these images since I took them and it does state on my contract that I can use them as I please.

Paul - Ya so far so good. Manual WB is the way to go. I'll probably get one of those white/warm cards to be sure. I was just merely testing all the auto features on the D2X to see if they can be accurate. I'm looking forward to hear your experience on your next wedding. I want to hear comments from your Canon partners.

Wow, the color toning looks very much like negative film. It's on the web but that's what it looks like. The B&W images are dissapointing, though. They're strongly contrasted with no shadow detail. That being said, you didn't make any other changes other than desaturate, so it's nothing a little curves tuning wouldn't fix.

Aaron, the B&W images are my fault, not the camera's. I tend to use too much contrast on PS and I've been told that before. With just plain desaturate, the B&W images are just as nice.

The colors/tones are straight out of the camera though, I didn't re-touch those. I did shoot on the warmer side of WB.

Tony the photos are amazing. I also do wedding photography and am currently using a D70 and Mamiya 645. I do not however get digital results that look like that!!!

Have you ever used a D70/ D100 and if so does the D2X have that much more tonal range or is it something you did in PSCS?

How is the noise at higher ISOs?

Not that I will be able to afford one in near future but it I should win the lottery maybe just maybe my wife will give in!!!

Tony you have the rest of us drooling over your camera. As was said earlier its not the camera its the photographer!!!

Nice work

Thanks for the comments Dan!

As a matter of fact, I use a D70 before the D2X and I still carry the D70. With the D70, I could never get the same tone as these photos I've posted. There's certainly a difference in color tone and contrast between the D70 and the D2X. I didn't do any color adjustments at all in PSCS.

Noise at 800 is good. Although I didn't try Hi1/Hi2 at the wedding, I would bet it's very noisy unless you use post processing noise reduction software of some sort.

I believe Rich Dutchman and Paul Sokal both do weddings and have also bought a D2X. Let's wait and see their initial experiences. I think Rich has a wedding this weekend.

Thanks again for the comments...

Hi there:

Great shots, except for the one where the bride blinked. That didn't happen in the days when we all used Rolleis or C-330s.

Make a bet: that little hottie wears out the groom in about six months. What a FUN bride!

Les

• 3 years later...