D2x sensor cleaning

jan_willem_roeloffs

It's the safe play (I use an AC adapter when cleaning), but there are many who say that a fully charged battery should suffice.

For a $4k camera, I'd say it's okay to be paranoid and spend the extra $90 for an AC adapter.

There are 2 ways to open up your mirror.

1. using the mirror lockup feature... When using this way to clean your CCD, you need to have your remote shutter release connected and set the shutter speed to bulb. In this method, the CCDs are electrically charged... meaning they are recording a pic.

2. If you connect the ac adaptor, you can activate the mirror lockup in the menu and when doing that, the CCD is not electrically charged.

Put it strictly, Nikon does not allow CCD cleaning when no ac adapted is connected. Method 1 is used by many cos we as humans are smart and we like to find ways to get around problems/obstacles.

Personally, I prefer to use Method 2 cos the CCD is not activated and there is no electrical charge... psycologically, I felt that the risk of ruining my CCD is lower.

Hope this helps a little.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always used the external power supply when cleaning my D100 but I see that I will need to buy another power supply for my recently acquired D2X because they don't appear to be compatible with each other. Hmm.

Rightly or wrongly, I had assumed that because the sensor is active (i.e. has an electric charge) when the shutter is opened with a Bulb setting it essentially becomes a dust-magnet, whereas the mirror-up facility only raises the mirror and does not activate the sensor, thus minimising the static charge. I'd be interested to have that assumption confirmed or refuted before I shell out for another power supply which will only be used for cleaning.

Cheers

Gordon