D2X autofocus fault?

david-m

Does anyone ever get a problem with a D2X in that it refuses to auto focus; in other words

nothing happens when I depress the shutter release, then after a few minutes of turning

off and on it works fine again? Seems to happen kind of once every couple of months.

Otherwise the camera works fine. BTW only ever had this problem with a 17-55 but then

again that is the lens that is on the camera most of the time.

Any thoughts (apart from send it back to nikon!).

Thanks

David

David,

I had this happen twice a couple of weeks ago. On the second day of an overseas trip, with the 17-55mm mounted on the D2X (the lens had been mounted and in use for a few hours), suddenly there was no longer any AF action when I pressed the AF-ON button (I have Custom Setting a5 set to AF-ON only). I power cycled the camera, removed and reinserted the battery, and maybe ejected and reinserted the CF card. None of that helped. Then, I remembered a photo.net posting from some weeks ago (by Todd Peach?) that said to remove and remount the lens. I tried it, and AF worked again.

A couple of days later, AF once more stopped working immediately after mounting the 10.5mm fisheye. I did the remove-and-remount routine (with the camera powered off) and AF was again restored.

Didn't this come up again in another thread just a few days ago?

--Bill

Thanks Bill, if/when this happens again I will try remounting the lens, although this time I

just shook the whole camera around a bit, and then it worked again. Although this has

only happened half a dozen times in the past 12 months (of heavy use) it is still pretty

irritating, but I am not too concerned.

David

Not you too? Man, I just had a major ordeal with mine. It went in three times and they never could get it right. The third attempt they ripped out a circuit board and chip and said it was good to go, yet five minutes later and two feet from Nikons front door on some plants and rocks in the garden, it was still screwed. Forth time in they gave me a new one. And when it arrived it came with a second body for another guy that had the same issue as me. He turned up at the shop to collect his, before me, and found out his replacement didn't focus at all! So he took the one that was intended for me and all seems good for him now. A third body for me was flown out and I collected it this morning. I'm scared to even turn it on. I can't believe Nikon. First, if you're giving back a body to a costumer that's brought it in three times, why can't they go out side and point it a few things and then open the files to check? Waste everyone's times. And, if you're sending a new body for a warranty replacement, why not fire the thing up to make sure it works?

What serial number? Below 506xxxx?

Autofocus inaccuracy is one thing, autofocus just not working at all is an entirely different

matter.

I have autofocus inaccuracy many times, for instance when I focus on a model's eye, half-

pressing the shutter release, and then recomposing while inadvertently releasing the

shutter release a tiny bit, just enough to have the AF start over again on the wrong part of

the model. Or I'm on AF-C instead of AF-S, which is "meant" to refocus when you follow

your subject moves. In those instances it is clearly operator's error.

Autofocus not working can be attributed to other causes besides a defective camera or

lens. Bad electronic contacts between the two is probably a common cause, witness the

fact that, in several cases, AF starts working again after remounting the lens. At any rate,

I've never had any AF problem with my D2X in more than a year, besides my own mistakes.

Just my $0,02.

No autofocus problems here. No problems period-with lots of use and abuse. I wish my car, my computer,my cell phone, my TV/Stereo, and my back worked as reliably as my D2X. I'm sorry to hear others are having problems.

"At any rate, I've never had any AF problem with my D2X in more than a year, besides my own mistakes."

i wish mine where my own mistakes. so does Nikon. nothing more frustrating than shelling out that kind of dough for a piece crap and then having more trouble with Nikon's customer/pro service than one would have trying to return a toaster at Walmart. i am never buying a first batch dslr of there's again.

Well to reiterate, the focussing seems perfect, it is only very very rarely that it refuses to

focus at all (does not search, whirrr, move, nada). I think it is a contact with lens issue (just

a wild guess). Next time it happens I am going to just re-seat the lens straight away and

see if this is the cause. Hopefully this 'next time' is in another 2/3 months!

Apart from this (rare) problem, I think this is a great camera that has served me really well

so far.

David