D200 USA charger used in Europe

josh_standon

Hi folks,

I will be taking my D200 to Europe later this year. I can't help but notice

that the charger is labeled for use with 110-120 volts only. It does not mention

the 220-240 volts used in Europe. I doubt if the D200 batteries will last for

my entire trip.

What have Americans done when they bring their D200 to Europe?

I can't help but notice that my Canon and old Minolta chargers automatically

detect and adjust to the proper voltage. But Nikon appears to not do so.

Yeah, my US-flavored one worked just fine (with the right prong adapter) in Europe. No sweat. Um, except for those confounded green-minded Italians and their hotel rooms that power off all of the outlets in the room when you pull your key card out of the light-controlling slot when you head out for the day!

I have a D200 with a MH-18a charger. On the back of the charger below the serial number it says input 120v-60hz. But below that their is a box that says FOREIGN: 100-240v 50-60Hz.

If you are using the MH-18a it should say the same thing. You should have no problem using it in europe as long as you have the necessary plug adapters.

Kevin

Matt,

Please tell us what model number did you use in Europe ?

The Charger MH-18 was a bit larger than the newer MH-18a, but was rated for voltage 100-240. The newer NH-18A USA model is rated at 120 Volts.

With the invention of a smaller charger, the MH-18A, you can have a USA model operating at 120 Volts, or Foreign. If you happens to have foreign Model, then it will operate using any voltage 100-240.

The smaller box MH-18A could have removed the auto voltage sensing device to save money and size, and make the unit single voltage use, or possibly not ?

I would love to believe Matt that the USA model worked in Europe, but could be more assuring if we know the model type, MH-18, or MH-18A ?

Nikon printed both models voltages on the USA model,

for one or more of possible reasons:

1. to make sure that you get confused

2. to indicate that the smaller box model is USA model and not Foreign

3. hires some new American high school drop out to teach English in Japan

4. Nikon is not sure of the charger reliability, and thus makes confusing prints, so if something bad happens, you will have an excuse printed right there.

5. sure, you will find more reasons...

From Matt's picture: what might the "Foreign" box mean as it contradicts the INPUT line just above it.

I would give the big N a call ... and chew them out/cajole them into giving me a universal charger ... 100 - 240 V, of course. What will one do in Mexico or Okinawa with this ?

Whoa, funny, I didn't even look at the input. The supply is marked as universal. I used mine throughout Argentina and Chile with no troubles 2 weeks ago, as well as Japan and eastern Europe last year with no issues. I've used both the MH-18a and MH-18. It works perfectly.