D200 TTL FP high speed sync

wearyo

I have the D70 but I`m going to get the D200 and use the 70 for

backup. I need to know does the D200 when used with the SB800

speedlight have the TTL FP highspeed flash sync option on it ,I know

the d2h does but I cant aford to go that rout. Thank you all. Bob

O'Leary Lincoln Montana . Real Nice Here

I am waiting for my D200, so have not tried that myself yet.

I believe if you switch speed shutter to faster than 1/250, e.g. 1/1000, so the camera should switch the SB-800 into FP mode automatically. Verify that fact on the SB-800 display.

The in-camera flash programming is only relevant to the built-in flash on D200. I believe if you set the flash to that mode 1/250s (Auto FP) , it expects you to apply an external flash that is FP compatible.

The built in camera flash is perhaps not FP compatible flash, and may not go faster.

The D70 has a CCD sensor with an electronic (gate) shutter that supplements the mechanical shutter. It appears that the mecanical shutter is fully open at all shutter speeds, and does not exceed 1/250 second. The electronic shutter takes over above 1/250 second and affects the entire image area at one time. Therefore, you can use an SB-800 at any shutter speed if you sync from a PC port rather than from the hot shoe. You may find an adapter you can place between the SB-800 and the hot shoe to either eliminate the "TTL" connections or provide a PC port. If necessary to prevent shorting, insulate the foot (or accessory shoe) of the SB-800 with Scotch Magic Tape.

What Edward says is great and works wonders, but only on D70, (perhaps D50 as well ?).

D200 does not have an usable electronic gate (shutter), unfortunately, at least that is what I was told.

D70 fast non-stroboscopic single blast sync with non-Nikon flashes is far superior to D200 flash (including inferior FP mode).

D70 flash capability is superior to any digital flash on the market, you just have to know how that works to take advantage of the electronic shutter sync, all the way down to 1/8000 sec for single blast of up to full power of your flash.

Bob,

You are enclosing in quotes text that nobody stated like that, so you must be quoting your own mind ?

." You can make the d70 sync at any shutter speed ,if you carry around a computer and use a non nikon flash"

This text is your invention. No computer was mentioned before you concluded that.

No computer is needed to sync at any shutter speed with D70 and a non-Nikon flash. Nikon D70 detects Nikon flashes and limits max sync to 1/500, while with other flashes it allows sync all the way to 1/8000 sec, as documented many times on photo.net.

Frank I apologize if for making up stuf . But Edward fererd to conetcing trough a pc port and that sounded like a computer to me , I may have misspoke. But do you mean ,I should have bought sigma EF 500 DG super instead of the nikon flash. Gog d all this money and the cameras dont work with their own stuf. But to get back to my origonal Question, Can the D200 be set to go into ttl fp mode so I can sync at higher schutter speeds. Bob

If your purpose is shooting hummingbirds, you don't <em>want</em> to use FP sync! For hummingbirds, you want a single quick flash to provide a short exposure time, to freeze motion. FP sync actually slows down the flash, so that it stays "on" during the entire time the shutter curtains are moving across the frame.

<p>

See <a href="http://webs.lanset.com/rcochran/flash/hss.html">http://webs.lanset.com/rcochran/flash/hss.html</a>

and/or do your own experiments on a fast-moving subject to prove that FP sync is worse at stopping motion than ordinary X-sync.

Frank - "D70 flash capability is superior to any digital flash on the market, you just have to know how that works to take advantage of the electronic shutter sync, all the way down to 1/8000 sec for single blast of up to full power of your flash".

No flash that I know of runs under 1/8000 second for a full power flash. So a 1/8000 sec shutter speed will cut off part of the flash burst, and you're not at "full power" any more. In fact, 1/1000 sec is rather a typical duration for a full power pop, which puts you closer to 1/8 power if you try to use it at 1/8000 sec.

On the other hand, that's about 3x better than "fp" mode, which will put you down around 1/25 power at 1/8000 sec.

Bob, Joseph Smith gave you exactly the right answer. If you set the custom function he mentioned, the D200 will engage FP mode on an SB-800 whenever you select a shutter speed past 1/250 sec. So, if you set your camera to 1/640 sec, you will definitely get FP mode at 1/640 sec.

As far as term "PC" that Edward mentioned, it stands for "positive connection". This goes back about 50 years, long before Tandy coined the term "personal computer". Your D200 has that, it's the little round connection on the left side of your camera. You don't need to worry about that, it won't help you with your hummer project. Use of the PC jack to get higher sync speeds is only applicable to the Nikon DLSRs with electronic shutters in their sensors: D70, D1, and D1X.

"In fact, 1/1000 sec is rather a typical duration for a full power pop," - typical for flashes that use operating voltage in range of 300 to 330 Volt DC, like many popular shoe mounts.

Flashes that operate at higher voltage, e.g. 2000 Volt DC, have much faster full power speed of discharge.

• 1 month later...