D200 or D90

cleamon

<p>I currently use a Nikon D1x and looking to make an upgrade. My funds are limited however, so I have narrowed to a D200 or D90. The D200 can be picked up for $400-$500 used while the D90 is still hovering around $700-$800 used. I would be more comfortable with a D200 purchase, but would I be better suited to holding off until I have the funds for a D90?</p>

<p>The D90 won't handle like the D1x. I have the the D80 and the D1h and the D1h is a much nicer faster camera to handle. The D80 has more MP and better battery life. The viewfinder is a bit bigger but not as contrasty and does not seem to snap into focus when manual focusing like the D1h finder does.</p>

<p>The D80 is much slower in use when using both cameras side by side. The AF on the D1h is fast and responisve. The D1h can spin the older screwdriver lenses real fast. The mirror blackout on the D1h is much less the shutter botton is more responsive. When I use both cameras together the D80 starts to feel really sluggish. The D1x shares the same AF system and shutter as the D1h the fps is less with the D1x though.</p>

<p>I keep the D80 because it is smaller produces larger files and most of the time is fast enough. I keep the D1h because because there is nothing as fast as the D1 series without spending a lot more money. If you are keeping the D1x then the smaller D90 maybe a good thing or you may prefere the D200. Why not wait for a used D300 and get the better AF system and a better sensor that would be the real upgrade.</p>

<p>My main focus is landscape/nature photography, but Im also hoping to get into some portraits as well. I currently have the Nikon 18-35mm 3.5, 300mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8 and 24-120mm 3.5. Ive handled both the D90 and D5000 and they both felt very small compared to the D1x. The viewfinder would also be something I would have to get used to. Guess my point is I really like the professional feel of the D1x and wondering if I am selling myself short by going for a now older camera in the D200 vs a newer model in the D90.</p>

<p>if "feel" matters to you so much, then it will be the D200, coming from a D1x. outside of the "feel" factor, to me the D90 is a better upgrade. but i belong to a small group here. good luck in your decision.</p>

<p>maybe to add, the amount saved in getting the D200 you can save and add for future portrait lens.</p>

<p>Easy.</p>

<p>The D90 has been tested to have a real (although subtle at small print sizes) advantage in image quality, and an even clearer advantage in shooting at any ISO over base.</p>

<p>How the camera feels has little impact on the quality of most, if not all, of your images.</p>

<p>Get a D90 and if it's too dinky for you get the grip. The D200 is too old to seriously consider.</p>

<p>Also, there are refurb deals out there, and the price of the D90 has been dropping of late new. I think it's around 800 after a current rebate at adorama. (Go there by the link on this page to help photo.net out, btw.)</p>

<p>I'd go D90 any day. D200 is an excellent camera no question, but D90 has a lot more to offer. The rear LCD screen is gorgeous on a D90, I love the one on my D300. Image quality is much improved on the D90 at high ISO settings. Other than that I'd get a D300, the D200 is no better image quality wise than a D3000 is now.</p>

<p>I'd go for D90 because is a newer camera. At the same time, you may have a better option, to save a little bit and to buy a used D300. D300 is definitely better than D200, includes a pro grade build quality and while it uses the same sensor like D90 it offers a better ergonomics, meters with AIS lenses and has the same AF module that D700.</p>

<p>Go for the D90, not because it is newer, but because it takes better photos. The D200 has a more robust build, but if you are an amateur shooting mostly scenics or portraits, you probably won't need a better build, not that there is anything flimsy about the D90. There is another advantage with the D200. If you have older manual focus Nikon lenses, the D200 will meter with them. The D90 will not, but you can still use the histogram to get the best exposure.</p>

<p>The D90 has a much better, higher resolution LCD. The D90 does much better at higher ISOs. Battery life is better with the D90. The D90 has live view. The D90 has a movie mode, which is of no interest to me. The D-90 has active D lighting, which I find very useful. The D90 has many more useful menu options. The D90 has a CMOS sensor.</p>

<p>I have both the D90 and the D200, but the D200 doesn't get used as much anymore. Don't even think about a D80.</p>

<p>I have been using a pair of D200s and while I realize their specific limitations compared to the new updated models, their performance for me has been excellent. I do use some older lenses and work mostly with lower and medium ISO range so the high ISO limits don't bother me. I'm really not making a suggestion, just affirming my excellent service from the D200 model.</p>

<p>I use and love the D200 as a solid tool for the type of work I need to do, mostly low iso macro, documentation and advertising stuff. For whatever reason I've never found it satisfying for landscape/scenic use. I don't know if the IQ difference between it and the newer models would make the difference for me or not, but you should look at images before making a decision. Or, maybe I'm just lousy at scenics.</p>

<p>Either body can give great results. If you don't require higher ISO performance then the D200 will work. If you want to use older AIS lenses then it is the D200 for metering. They may use the same AF module not sure. The D90 probably has a bit of an edge when printing over 8x10. I have used a D70, D200 and D700 and print up to 12x18.</p>

<p>I like the speed and access of the D200. It has more switches & buttons than the D90. You will miss to pro feel on the D90 if you really used them on your D1x. The D90 produces slightly better photos and seems to have a 1-stop advantage in ISO. The D90 is much lighter to carry around if you do a lot of hauling to get your landscape and nature shots. If I were going to Greenland or somewhere with bad conditions, I would still take my D200 over the D90, given the choice.<br>

The D90 will be a better choice for portraits with IQ.</p>

<p>There are reasons that a used D90 costs more than a used D200. The electronics in the D90 is newer and better. Once you get used to the D90's 3" back LCD, at least I find it hard to go back to the D200's, let alone the tiny one on the D1X.</p>

<p>Since you shoot landscape, you should find live view on the D90 highly useful. That feature is not available on the D200.</p>

<p>Again, there are very good reasons that those bodies there were "pro" once upon a time are dirt cheap in these days. If you are willing to make major compromises, that is your choice, but to me, they are not bargains.</p>

<p>I think Shun Chueng makes a good point with digital camera's. They lose their value quickly, the next new thing is the only best option is the mentality. Just remember the D90 is soon to be replaced and it will soon be old news in camera's. There will soon be a feeding frenzy for the next new best camera and the D90 may lose value. However both camera's are capable of very high quality digital photos. I suggest you find a specimen of each and hold it and decide. Once you heft each camera you will soon decide what you would want to have. I am not actually advocating either camera but the D200 does have ISO 100. That is a nice feature for landscapes. The D90 has a very wide dynamic range for a Digital camera. That is a very good thing.</p>