D200 focus jumping all over

peter_k4

<p>I'm having some trouble with the D200 autofocus system. I'm in continuous high, focus release priority, normal frame area, group dynamic 1 set to closest subject, lock on normal, af area illumination on.</p>

<p>(this is with a static subject) When I half press the shutter to focus it will focus and then indicate that the an AF area is illuminated, and then JUST the very instant before I release the shutter, the focus area will jump somewhere else in the viewfinder. going to playback and center clicking to zoom to the focused area. it shows the point that was selected at that last instant before shutter release. that I could live with, but it IS that second point that IS in focus! so I really have no idea what focus point it's choosing right until the last moment.</p>

<p>This seems to happen when there is a lot of subject very similar in distance so the camera seems to be having trouble picking a spot and staying with it. now when it jumps at the last second i don't hear or feel the focus motor so I'm assuming that it was in focus to the point that it eventually focuses on, but unfortunately I have no control over what that point is until i see it at the last instant in the viewfinder.</p>

<p>I'm quite perplexed. i'm hoping I just have some setting wrong that someone could tell me how to correct.</p>

<p>Also, I still haven't been able to get my AF assist light to come on, ever. is there something other than focus function A9 that I need to activate for that?</p>

<p>Peter: I don't have an answer for you but wanted to say that my Fuji s5 which is a D200 body, continually misses focus. Does anyone have suggestions about setting the menus to work consistently for Pros who tend to make specific settings and use consistent techniques? <br>

I've ahd more consistent results by using the rear (thumb) button to activate and lock focus. I shoot alot of portraits, at 3.5 or f4 with the 70-200VR and typically the camera misfocuses to the rear, so the eyes are a tad soft and the ears are sharp. Any suggestions on settings would be hlpful. Note: Could my problem relate to the distance between centering teh center focus indicator on the subject eyes, locking the focus and when recomposing teh distance is changing from the subject to the focalplane? Soryy to go on and on, I should have placed a seperate post. Thanks</p>

<p>Dale</p>

<p>I would suggest checking what Moore said.<br>

I too find my self on occasion hitting the control wheel sending the focus indicator to other areas of the screen, (i am also left eyed, or perhaps, just clumsy :). Before i realized what was happening, i thought something was wrong with the camera.<br>

The directional arrows on the control wheel are used (when in shooting mode) to reposition the red indicated focus points. So if you for instance, rest your thumb on one when shooting, the focus point will move.<br>

It is the one complaint i have actually, about the otherwise fine ergonomics.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"It is the one complaint i have actually, about the otherwise fine ergonomics."</p>

<p>In addition to what Jay and Berhardt said the control wheel on my D200 did not give me a very positive confirmation when intentionally changing the focus spot. I can only comment from hearsay but some of the early samples of the D200 seemed to have variations in the action of this control wheel in the way that some were too loose some too stiff. In two cases I heard from the users these where replaced by Nikon.</p>