D200, 300 questions

Rick Helmke

Afternoon everyone,

While I am waiting on some film to wash I have a couple of questions about these two cameras. First, what is the largest CF card a D200 can handle? I'm about to buy some for different cameras and want to make sure I have some useful ones for the D200. Second, is there a way to assign jpeg files to one card and nef files to the other in a 300S? Before anyone brings it up, I have no instruction manuals for either of these cameras. I could down load them from somewhere but it is easier to ask here and I don't have any other questions anyway. Thanks.

Rick H.

For the D300s: yes, p.72 of the manual. You can do JPEG to one, raw to the other, like other recent camera. I usually shoot my D810 like this.

Googling for the D200 showed up a dpreview thread. The consensus seems to be that 8GB is officially supported, but that many people have used 16GB without trouble. I'd be hesitant of going higher than that.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

That is all very helpful, thank you. I went to that old thread and it really took me back looking at how much we paid for memory at the time. Going to a couple of newer cameras has left me with a sort of sticker shock, not for the cost but for the amount of memory that is fairly standard now. I used to get by with 512 mb and 1G cards without a second thought. I first put a 2G card in my D4 and had to look two or three times at how few images that allowed. The Nikon manual for the D300S was also very helpful in assigning image storage. I'd never used a 2 card camera until last year, never felt the need but now I'm shooting in JPEG/NEF all the time. I've discovered in the last year that if you don't keep up with current tech then it is easy to fall behind quickly.

Rick H.

• Like 1

Since I still have a D200 sitting around, I just tried a 32G and a 64G CF card on it. The 32G works fine but I cannot format the 64G inside the D200.

Those two are the highest-capacity CF cards I have around, since I have pretty much switched to XQD and SD now. Both CF cards are Lexar, and my D200 has firmware version 2.00 for both A and B. 2.01 seems to be the latest version Nikon has for the D200.

Also see Tom Wolfe's post in 2015 on the following thread: D200 and SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash 64 GB Flash Memory Card

You can partition a 64G card to have a partition that is only 32G, and it'll work as a 32G card on the D200, if you are willing to go through that trouble.

The first Nikon DSLR that has dual memory card slots was the D3. As far as I know, from then on, every Nikon DSLR that has dual memory cards has the backup mode so that you can write identical NEF raw files onto both cards or put raw on one and JPEG on the other.

• Like 1

I appreciate all of this assistance and have come up with one other question. What is the expected shutter life on a D300S? I know that there is no hard number and nothing is guaranteed but would like to know how others have been holding up. The one I recently acquired from a member here is in very good shape for it's age and had what I suspect was a hard life in the news business in New York. I doubt I will run the shutter count up on it any harder than I do with anything else but am just curious. Shun I also appreciate information on card use in the D200. I'll do a little testing but while I am buying cards a 32G card would be fine since I am going with that in some other cameras. That would give me something like 2 million images before downloading??:)

Rick H.

What is the expected shutter life on a D300S? I know that there is no hard number and nothing is guaranteed but would like to know how others have been holding up..

Recall that Nikon announced the D3 and D300 simultaneously on 23rd August, 2007, along with the 24-70, 14-24 and 400mm, 500mm, and 600mm super teles.

From that era, "pro-sumer" bodies such as the D300 and the subsequent D700 have shutters rated to 150K actuations, while pro bodies such as the D3 family are rated to 300K actuations.

Later on, those ratings went up to 200K and 400K respectively in the D800/D4 generation.

And as we all (should) know, those ratings are merely expectations. Plenty of shutters last more than twice as long as expected while some fail way before the expected actuation count.

• Like 1