D200 10-Pin Terminal Broken

jwallphoto

<p>One week I'm out shooting with no problems. The next time I go out, I can't screw the ML-20 into the 10-pin terminal. I think it's just my lousy near-vision and put on glasses. Still no dice. I think it's the ML-20's fault and try a replacement. The brand-new replacement doesn't screw in either. Anyone else ever come up against this? This is my only camera and I'd hate to have to send it to Nikon for a repair that could take a very long time.</p>

<p>Quite funny you should ask this. On Sunday evening I was preparing for a job I had on Monday and was, as usual, having trouble getting my MC-36 to catch the threads in the plugg. It just turned and turned. Took about 3 minutes for me to get the thing on. I was considering posting a thread to ask if others experienced the same trouble. Obviously I'm not alone.</p>

<p>You should only push the cable plug into the 10-pin terminal. Whilst a case can be made for using the threads to keep it secured in position, this also puts stress on the terminal and may result in the breaking of a locking pin inside the body, thus ending with the entire 10-pin port coming loose. The problem is that the threads have too fine pitch so perfect alignment is required. The "insert, use, then pull out" strategy eschews the problem entirely and has worked great for me with my Nikons for several decades.</p>

<p>Right, it's MC-30, not ML-20. That's what I get for not checking before posting. So I guess the answer is to leave it be. Even w/o screwing it in, the cable release stays put better than the cable release I used with my old F3, so why complain. I always felt the screw-in was a pain in the butt anyway, especially with cold fingers.</p>