D1h will NOT connect with linux computer (Ubuntu)

andrew_gale

<p>I have been over a the Ubuntu forums trying to figure this one out and I cannot.</p>

<p>I have a D1h, and Im trying out digital once again (I got scared and ran back to film last time). So far the D1h has been a pleasure to use, and seems to do great in low light, churns out RAW files at a very real 5fps and doesnt make annoyingly huge files like the D70. Im having a lot more fun this time than the last I picked up a DSLR, and although I will probably never leave film, digital is starting to seem almost "cool" for messing around and stuff.<br>

My issue is that I was hoping that I could plug the camera into the computer, not only to download the photos but also to teather them together. I run the latest version of Ubuntu 8.10 and try as I might I cannot connect them up. Ive browsed the Ubuntu forums but I cant find a fix. If anyone has any experiance with nikon cameras (especially firewire ones) and linux connections could you explain how you got them hooked up and include any code that you used to fix this bug? The camera cannot be seen by the computer and I get get the photos off or access the camera with he teathering program.</p>

<p>Thanks for your time, Galen<br>

PS: Im looking forward to April 24th you know for 9.04...</p>

<p>@Edward - Back in 2002 a lot of people said that the D1h surpassed film, but IMHO niether does the D3x so... The D1h produces nice shots and 2.7MP is plenty for what I do.<br>

Anyway, I have a tethering program (not made by Nikon) for linux. I am not skilled enough to write my own drivers but I did get that program and I made sure that it had all of the code required for the D1h.</p>

<p>@Phillip - Im not sure, do you know how I can check? I guess I could just try loading them both and if they are allready present they will be replaced.</p>

<p>Galen-</p>

<p>After looking around the web, I suspect that the D1h uses a non-standard, proprietary protocol for communicating over firewire. My guess is that for transferring images to the computer, using a CF card reader is the easiest route.</p>

<p>I had initially assumed that (like cameras with a USB interface), the D1 could appear as a normal storage device. If that is possible, I think you'd need the ohci1394 and sbp2 modules loaded, which can be done from the command line (as root, so be careful) with:</p>

<p>modprobe ohci1394 && modprobe sbp2</p>

<p>although if it is possible to treat your camera like a hard drive, I would have expected these to be loaded automatically after connecting the camera, turning it on, and putting it in PC mode.<br>

<br /> ~Phillip</p>

<p>I hate Windows because I feel that I spend more time removing viruses than using the computer.OS/X, not so much, but one needs a mac and they cost a lot. One day, ill get one, but for now linux is a great free alternative.</p>

<p>Personally I think I have learned a lot in seven years: <strong>that digital is not a replacement for film</strong> . In my opinion they are separate and will never be the same. I think they can live side by side in my camera bag without my choosing a favorite.</p>

<p>I bought a card reader today, but its not very fast, but probably faster than the camera. It solves the immeadiate issue of getting photos off of the camera, but does not help with the tethering issue. I loaded the modules but cant test weither it worked because I dont have my camera with me at the moment.</p>

<p>Galen -</p>

<p>You can set up a dual boot system with Ubuntu and Windows. It's a little inconvenient but you can access the internet with Ubuntu and use your camera with Windows (tethered?). No virus issues since you don't connect with Windows. If you have multiple hard disks you can set one of them up to be accessible from both operating systems and put all your images there. I do this to use my Nikon Scanner (CoolScan V) which is not supported by Xsane. There are also some Ubuntu apps that attempt to run Windows apps in a virtual computer. No experience with them.</p>

<p>A computer is an appliance used to perform useful work. If you have to beat yourself silly to get that job done, you have the wrong system (or attitude).</p>

<p>Viruses in Windows are a consequence of poor internet "hygiene". If you have a problem, start by improving your habits at the keyboard. There are several viruses out there which infect Apple computers too, but are officially ignored by Apple (to wit, Apple recently issued a warning to use anti-virus software, which was withdrawn three days later at the demand of their marketing people). For the historically-challenged, viruses actually originated in Unix systems in the 70's, under the guise of "Core Wars" - games played by and between computer operators at MIT and other schools. Don't hold your breath hoping Linux will escape unwanted attention.</p>

<p>@Arash and Dan, think what you want, but I doubt I will ever find a time while my D1h is still alive that i need more pixels than it provides. I rarely print a photo from a digital file and when i do, 8x10 is big enough.</p>

<p>@Richard, are you sure you have the newest libsane? Im surprised Coolscan V isn't included. I have used wine, but its no idea. I like the dual boot idea, and maybe ill try it when 9.04 comes out so I can wipe the system and start fresh with windows and ubuntu.</p>

<p>@Edward, i can safely say that I beat myself more silly trying to get crap out of XP than trying to connect up my camera to Ubuntu. My internet "hygene" is not great. It seems silly to me that I should not download and install all of the little programs I want from FileHippo etc. because i will get viruses! By trying to get something done in windows, one inadvertantly prevents oneself from getting anything done! By computer became an appliance that prevented me from doing anything useful. And since Linux makes up about one percent of computer users, I think we will be safe for a while, not to mention that once viruses do start to appear, there will be many people eager to stop them who know how to code.</p>

<p>"@Richard, are you sure you have the newest libsane? Im surprised Coolscan V isn't included. I have used wine, but its no idea. I like the dual boot idea, and maybe ill try it when 9.04 comes out so I can wipe the system and start fresh with windows and ubuntu."<br>

Pretty sure. I subscribe to the listserver for updates/security patches and do all the installs as they become available.<br>

I still use Dapper Drake (6.06LTS) and W2KP. I have the disk for 8.10 but haven't made the switch yet. Everything is stable and working well so I see no need to move to the latest version of either OS.<br>

BTW, if you use the vesions I do you will need to do a little manual editing to finalize the dual boot functionality. Perhaps newer versions have a simplier setup. You'll find all the procedures on the Ubuntu forums. Best of luck.</p>

<p>I have been running Ubuntu for a year or so now and not to save money.<br>

I have tried OSX (Nice but too proprietary and therefore limiting), XP a basic OS for the masses and Vista is a joke, I have driver issues and they don't get how to make good practical use of new visual technology. Ubuntu is streets ahead and easy to use.<br>

However, I still have to dual boot to XP for my scanner. It is very easy to install over XP. I will get around to making the scanner work on Ubuntu but no time right now.</p>

<p > </p>

<p>I have been running Ubuntu for a year or so now and not to save money.<br>

I have tried OSX (Nice but too proprietary and therefore limiting), XP a basic OS for the masses and Vista is a joke, I have driver issues and they don't get how to make good practical use of new visual technology. Ubuntu is streets ahead and easy to use.<br>

However, I still have to dual boot to XP for my scanner. It is very easy to install over XP. I will get around to making the scanner work on Ubuntu but no time right now.</p>

<p > </p>