D1H, D100, D100 w/ MBD100

andrew_gale

<p>Hi, once again I need advise from people who have used many Nikon cameras.<br>

When im taking serious photos I use film. Almost 100% B&W, its my favorite medium, its cheap, I have a darkroom at home etc. Im not going to leave film behind when I buy my DSLR.<br>

I realize that I need a digital camera once in a while and I have a couple hundred bucks to spend, not a lot, in fact as little as possible.<br>

I have listed my choices above but repeat them here:<br>

D1H<br>

D100<br>

D100 w/MBD100<br>

As of right now I lean towards the D1H. Its the cheapest and money is a very serious part of my decision. I will buy all from the same online retailer who I like and will take returns, so all will come working.<br>

Now, what I will use this camera for primarily at least at first is for sports photography at my school for the yearbook. I used to use a D70s, and it worked fine, but not great, and I had some problems with speed while taking photos of basketball. Im leaning towards the D1H simply because it has the least MP, which will give me more sensitivity I believe. I will probably never make a print larger than 8x10 from this camera, so again MP dont matter.<br>

The D100 is a bit more than the D1H, but i would probably spend the extra money on a spare battery anyway. The D100 w/MBd100 is about 90bucks more.<br>

Again, I like the idea of a D1H with two batts.<br>

What is the difference in weight? Im more curious, than anything since I already haul around an F4s.<br>

Thanks, Galen</p>

<p>The D100 was the first dSLR I considered, handling it several times when it was the hot ticket. In size, weight and handling it's very comparable to the D70. Ditto the viewfinder, AF response, etc. But waaaaay too sluggish for action oriented stuff, and the viewfinder was too dim.</p>

<p>If you prefer a brighter viewfinder, quicker AF, etc., and don't mind the other compromises that have been gnawed on extensively here and elsewhere, the D1H is probably the better buy. It should be plenty good enough for sports and modest sized prints. Certainly good enough for any newspaper or yearbook quality reproduction. If you're comfortable with the size and weight of the F4 the D1H won't seem much worse.</p>

<p>And if there's any possible way to squeeze a D2H into the budget, go for it. Best value in a photojournalism-oriented dSLR for modest quality reproduction work. And if you buy from a place that offers a return/replacement or exchange warranty, you can evaluate it to be sure you're not getting one that's been beaten to death. Mine is four years old, beginning to show its age cosmetically (the grippy rubbery panels are beginning to loosen around the edges), but still has less than 30k shots on it and works just fine.</p>

<p>Hi Galen. I think you've made a good choice - I have just upgraded from a D1H to a D2H, but I will keep the D1H as a back-up DSLR. </p>

<p>There is no way, unfortunately, that a user can access the number of shots taken by a D1 series camera - it is only accessible to a technician.</p>

<p>For you I would recommend the D1H. I've used one for 3-4 years now, and if you're not using a whole lot of TTL flash, the camera works great.</p>

<p>I've used a D70 enough to be able to compare the two, and the D1H is a much better body. I have only minimal experience with the D100, but to me it was basically a slightly bigger, older D70.</p>

<p>You should be able to get an excellent condition D1H for $300.</p>

<p>At this point in 2009, I would suggest not getting any one of the early Nikon DSLRs that uses D-TTL, not because there is anything that wrong with D-TTL per se, but anything introduced since 2003/2004 should give you considerably better image quality. A brand new D80 is only $540 new. If you are willing to buy used, there should be plenty of good choices.</p>

<p>In particular, given the battery problems with the D1 family, any money you "save" will likely be spent on more batteries.</p>

<p>Thanks all, I have come to realize that with DSLRs increasing in capability almost daily, that whatever I get will be easily replaceable in a few years.<br>

Ross, you wouldnt want to sell it?<br>

And Shun, im looking to spend as little as possible. The D80 would be nice, but I probably wont spend 340 bucks on new batteries, maybe thirty, for a spare, but i wont need 11.<br>

I rarely use flash, and when I do its not a SB800 so its not necessary for me to have iTLL.<br>

Ill place the order first thing in the morning<br>

Also, should I buy any accesories? I know with cameras F4 there are things that you really do need, but were not provided: namily focusing screens for vaious uses which I bought seperatly later.</p>

<p>Galen,<br>

Digital cameras are not like a film camera, they are hi-tech products and thus rapidly improve with time, buying a D100/D1/D1H in the year 2009 is like buying a 500MHz Pentium III computer with 256MB RAM, these cameras will still take pictures but the quality and perfromace is far behind even the cheapest entry level DSLR produced today. I recommend a D90 or a used D300. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>A new EN4 battery for the D1 family is currently $105, but you may be able to find alternatives. Again, the main problem is that this older battery doesn't last that long. Therefore, getting a used one may also be problematic: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/185965-REG/Nikon_25240_EN_4_NiMH_Battery_7_2v.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/185965-REG/Nikon_25240_EN_4_NiMH_Battery_7_2v.html</a></p>

<p>Since you mention a tight budget which I think others are not considering I would go with the D1H. If you go trhough someone like KEH you have a 14 day return privledge. The D1H is fast enough and the 2.74mp resolution is good enough for 8X10's. Like you, I buy on a tight budget and get the most bang for the buck. Through the years I've gone from a very used but very capable D1x to a D2H to a D700 and a D80 for a small, light travel camera. I saved and sold stuff on the Nikonians.com forums as well as eBay until I could put enought together to get my next camera or lens or whatever. With the pro D series bodies you need good glass to get the most from them and for the D80 I only use the 18-200VR. BTW, I still have them all. </p>