D100 vs. D200 Question

ken_thalheimer

I now have a couple of D100's & like them. Hefty & rugged, they perform well &

I like the metering system. I've been toying with the idea of selling one &

picking up a D200. I really won't be taking advantage of the high fps much.

I'd appreciate your input on a move up to the 200. Thanks

Two years ago when I had just bought my D2X, I took the same still subject shots with the D2X and my old D100, all with the same lens on a tripod. Since it was a still subject, AF speed and frame rate don't matter. I was astonished that even with an 8x10, how much better the D2X is in terms of image quality.

Essentially I paid a price to be an early adapter to digital. Back in 2002, the $2000 D100 was pretty good. Today, even a $1000 model out-performs it by a wide margain. Digital technology simply has improved quite a bit in the 3, 4 years since 2002.

However, one side effect is that any old D100 is not going to worth all that much in the used market.

I had purchased the D100 when it first came out and upgraded to the D200 soon after it became available. Difference is night and day not only in image quality, but also in build quality and overall handling. Metering with manual focus AI/AIS lenses a big plus for me.

The message that I see between the lines above seems to be the more money you have, the better a photographer you can be.

I just received a D200 as a gift, but can't help but wonder what the picture quality of a D500/D600/etc. will be years from now, compared to my D200, which I am planning to use for a long time.

Nghi, nobody here can give you good information about future cameras. I am sure that digital technology will continue to improve over time. However, the difference could be in better dynamic range, high ISO results, etc. Ultimately, the limitation will be our vision. Up to a certain point, we simply cannot see the improvement any more.

I am sure your D200 will produce excellent images for years to come. It is not going to get any worse just because there is a newer model. The main problem is that after you see better results in the future, whether you'll still be satisfied with your D200.

The price of the camera is in no way tied to the quality of photographs. There are photographers who can produce better photos with a 1940s Brownie box camera than 80 percent of us will ever produce no matter what equipment we use.

Heres another way to put it. The D80 is still far beyond the D100 is, and the D200 in my opinion is far beyond the D80. I had a D80 for about 2 1/2 months, and then I stepped it up to a D200 and was just blown away with it, some may say theres not too much of a difference, but on the performance end, its way better.

Hope the helped.

Kyle, the D80 and D200 use very similar sensors and the same AF system. (D200's sensor can transfer the image to memory faster and therefore can achieve 5 frames/second. Otherwise, the resolutions are the same.) Could you explain exactly what the differences you observed?

As time progresses, digital cameras will become better, and more newbies will shoot weddings with their new camera's super AF modules and ultra intelligent metering and composition programs. Consequently, all these photography efforts would look the same, feel the same, and posses the creativity touch of a built-in algorithm coded by an IT professional.

"Ultimately, the limitation will be our vision. Up to a certain point, we simply cannot see the improvement any more."

At that point the new market will be digital implants to improve eyesight and add the telephoto zoom to your retinas. One day we wont even need cameras to be hand-held, they'll be in our heads. Stills and video will record from our eyesight through our nerves. Think about the chain of technology associated with that gear. It is a very real concern.

The responses are an interesting read..

Seems so subjective.. saying that the "D200 performance is way better than the D80" Just curious.. isnt the sensor the same?

Just curious is there a difference in image quality between the D70 to D80 to D200 because I thought that the sensors are the same stuff?

really trully want to know from those who have these cameras..