D100, Fuji S2 Pro II and the SB28, SB80DX.

The S2 is capable of metering the flash exposure off of the CCD surface (really the anti-aliasing filter) during the actual exposure. This is what all Nikon film SLRs do. The D100 (and D1-series) are unable to do this and must rely on pre-flash pulses off of the closed shutter to gauge the flash power output needed. Thus the D100 needs one of the newer DX flashes. The S2 operates just like Nikon film SLRs and thus can use any flash that the film SLRs can use.

In other words, Nikon fixed it so you'd have to buy a new flash if you want all of the features. It's the same game they used with the N80, making non-cpu'd lenses useless on that body...and the new line of "G" lenses, where older bodies are now obselete.

"In other words, Nikon fixed it so you'd have to buy a new flash if you want all of the features. It's the same game they used with the N80, making non-cpu'd lenses useless on that body...and the new line of "G" lenses, where older bodies are now obselete."<br>

<br>

<b> Now that's funny that you mention that! I was sitting here thinking the same thing. I did my homework in researching the S2 vs the D100. I love the S2. The Nikon rep didn't have anything bad to say about the S2 at all. Usually, the Nikon reps tell you they have superior there stuff is to the other guys. My flash pictures with the S2/Sb28 combo are fine. The rep wanted to know if I had to dial in any comp. I replied "no". I could tell by the look on his face that in this department, Nikon could not outdo Fuji. One of the reasons why I went with the Fuji over the Nikon is becasue ofthe proprietory chip. I would think that if they make film, that there chip would be top notch too. Not tlike the SONY (Or so I'm told) chip found in all the other guys camera's.</b>

Jim,

To be fair you can mount most no CPU lenses on the N80; but you won't have metering. In regards to the SB flash issue, Nikon decided that DX flashes was the future for digital. The case is that neither you or I can prove that Nikon made such changes to make obsolete older equipment.

Currently only Nikon and Pentax (K mount) have lens mount systems that are backwards compatible (with limitations or modifications). That in itself says alot. Without the CPU in the Nikon lenses you would not have the 3D Matrix Flash Metering. Some (maybe even you) would then blast Nikon for not meeting Canon and the E-TTL flash. Time does march on. At least Nikon has shown the ability to meet their users needs for change with the fewest disruptions over the long term.

Background information is that Nikon designed their digital SLR's from the ground up. Fuji designed theirs from the basis of using the N60 body for the S1 and the N80 for the S2 body. Given that they had to come up with a flash system that worked. They found away for the SB-28 to work. Nikon for future and current considerations decided that a new flash system (DX) was the better way.

To be fair to Nikon, the flash metering system that the S2 uses is basically a Nikon design from the N80 with some tweaks by Fuji. As for whether or not the D-TTL flash system is an improvement, many people don't think so. It seems more like a hack to get some kind of TTL flash metering, because Nikon couldn't get normal TTL metering to work on the ir digital cameras. Hopefully, they'll take a page from Fuji's book and work out how to meter off of the sensor surface during the exposure.

The lack of a pc connector is solved by a $15 hot shoe adaptor. Hardly an issue to base a $2000 plus decision on.

Fuji makes one (current) DSLR. Nikon makes 3 (not counting the D2 series that is presently being leaked). Each camera Nikon makes has a different CCD resolution, hence anti-aliasing filter pitch. The reflectance (as a function of wavelength) of the filter will be defferent for each filter - hence a problem getting one flash technology to work reading "off the film". Its really not fair to compare a company that is not looking at a 'system' with Nikon that is trying hard to maintain some compatiblity.

FWIW my D100/SB80DX has worked flawlessly in evey mode I've used.

<b>"The lack of a pc connector is solved by a $15 hot shoe adaptor. Hardly an issue to base a $2000 plus decision on."<b>

As I said, I did my research. The lack of a PC was one of the reasons why I went with the S2. "One of" not the only reason. I also think the images from the S2 are superior.