D-700 use with polarizing filter

blumesan

<p>Does anyone know *for a fact* whether the use of a linear polarizing filter on a D-700 will affect either the autofocus operation or the metering.</p>

<p>I have performed the following test: Aiming camera at an off-white indirectly illuminated wall, with linear polarizer mounted: there is no variation in exposure reading produced by rotating the filter.</p>

<p>It's a bit more difficult to perform an accurate test for autofocus, but cursory examination does not reveal a difference with and without filter.</p>

<p>I ask because I have a variety of excellent (B&W, Heliopan, Contax) linear polarizers dating back to my film days. I would be happy not to have to replace these for use with the D-700.</p>

<p>Well, I know for a "fact," that linear polarizing filters will work much of the time with many digital cameras. I don't have a D700 so can't answer that part of it at all.</p>

<p>The trick on most of them is to carefully monitor both focus and exposure <em>as you shoot</em>. I wouldn't use it where working fast was necessary, but if you chimp and pay attention to focus and exposure as you go, they will work just fine, probably on your camera too. Of course if you set focus and exposure manually, and don't depend on the TTL readings, there's no reason they shouldn't work fine. I don't think the linear/circular business has any effect on the image itself, just the camera settings. However, in my experience, the linear polarizers often seem to produce a more pronounced effect than the circular ones.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>However, in my experience, the linear polarizers often seem to produce a more pronounced effect than the circular ones.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have notices the same when used on film cameras (Contax RTS-II). Also it was my impression, not carefully documented, that the linear polarizers had a slightly lower filter factor than the circular equivalents at minimun setting. Thanks for your replies.</p>

<p>When I have time I plan to examine the effect of the linear polarizer on autofocus using live view.</p>

<p>The official word from Nikon:</p>

<p>"Nikon DSLRs cannot be used with linear polarizing filters due to its affect on AF and exposure metering."</p>

<p>http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13987/~/using-nikon-filters-with-nikon-dslrs</p>

<p>I should add that if you focus and meter manually before you put the linear polarizing filter on the lens, then add the filter and add about 2 stops of light to the exposure setting (to allow for the loss of light from the filter), it will work just fine.</p>

<p>Many thanks for all your responses. Jim, I read the link to Nikon official site; thanks. <br>

I will try focusing and metering manually before attaching the filter. I am interested to see if the results confirm the official line.</p>

<p>The official word from Nikon:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Nikon DSLRs cannot be used with linear polarizing filters due to its affect on AF and exposure metering."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Now the thought never crossed my mind that Nikon might publish this information in an effort to help their marketing department sell a few more circular polarizers. Nevertheless I report the results of my first experiment to test their assertion:</p>

<p>D700 equipped with a Katz-eye split image focusing screen. Lens, Zeiss ZF.2 100mm/2.0. I first confirmed that the viewfinder focus confirmation indicator and the split image screen were in perfect agreement and provided correct focus. After attaching a Contax Linear polarizer it was still apparent that the two indicators of correct focus remained in agreement at a variety of focal distances and degrees of polarization. At maximum polarization the filter diminished the exposure by about 2.3 stops.</p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>