D-300 with 70-200 f/2.8 AFS-VR

ntv666

I had bought a new 70-200 Vr AFS and I noticed some play , may be about 1 mm , when I mounted the lens with my D

300. The other lens also has the same play. But it not so in my D 200. When I hold the lens and the D300 body properly

mounted, it rotates(Play) about 1mm . Is this normal for D 300 mount? Is this a problem? Al my phots are fine. But I am

not happy with that slight movement between the lens and the mount> Any advice from you guys. ? Thanks

I wouldn't say it's normal. But it's not unusual for the same lenses to fit different bodies differently. I notice a small amount of play or slop in some lenses when comparing the fit on my D2H, N6006, F3HP and FM2N. For example, my 300/4.5 AI Nikkor fits each body slightly differently. While I'm not concerned about this discrepancy with my lighter weight lenses, I might be legitimately concerned if a larger, heavier and more expensive lens like the 70-200 VR did not fit well, especially since precise alignment of electronic contacts is critical.

You should check with Nikon to find out whether they can check the fit of these two items and determine whether an adjustment is possible or appropriate.

My 70-200 has this play in it as well, on my D700, D2x and D200. I've been looking at a lot of comments about this play in this particular lens. Unfortunately, mine is having some intermittent contact issues that Nikon and my local NYC based tech continue to try and correct. Frustrating.

<i>Surely rotational slop will have an effect on the actual vs set aperture on G lenses where the camera moves

the aperture lever to a preset point?</i>

<p>

If you use the in-camera meter to judge exposure and the aperture ring to set the aperture, the meter will also

be affected by the rotational play through the Ai coupling.

<p>

But people don't care. The final exposure is set with post-processing.