CVS and Polaroid film

Discussion in 'Extreme, Retro, Instant and More' started by patrick j dempsey, Nov 23, 2005.

1. I wandered into the local CVS tonight to price out Polaroid film...
    its been awhile since I looked into buying Polaroid film and wanted to
    see what they had. Immediately I noticed that there was none on the
    shelf... closer inspection revealed that they had all been moved
    behind the counter. Accompanying a sign reading "Ask for assistance
    for Polaroid film" was little sales tags saying 2 for the price of 1.
    (Of course you have to have the CVS card to get this bargain). I was
    wondering if anyone knew anything about this... Is CVS discontinuing
    their Polaroid line? and if so... a word to the wise... Go to CVS and
    buy some cheap film!!! I'll check back there in a few days and ask
    the clerk what the deal is...

2. Not sure about discontinuing, but I think it's buy one twin pack of Spectra or 600 and get single pack free.

3. What's CVS?

4. CVS is a chain of drug stores here in the USA... I'll trying running down to my local store and see if the same is happening here...

5. I encountered something similar at a local regional drugstore chain a few years ago. It seems the small Polaroid I-zone films were popular with teen shoplifters. As a consequence, all polaroid film was moved behind the counter.

6. Yeah with some films going for $24 a package I suppose shoplifting would be a problem with these items.

7. Polaroid is made by Agfa. Agfa is out of business. Enough said.

8. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator Staff Member

Polaroid is made by Agfa. Agfa is out of business. Enough said.
    Agfa makes Polaroid Spectra film?
    Agfa makes Polaroid 500 film?
    Agfa makes Polaroid Type 54 film?
    Agfa makes Polaroid Type 57 film?
    Agfa makes Polaroid Type 690 film?
    Agfa makes all Polaroid instant films?
    I guess you should let Polaroid know that they have nothing left to sell.

9. Uhhh I dont have a TV... since when is Agfa out of business? I cant find a mention of it online but there websites are all down... is that just my connection being weird or is this true?

10. I've often found Wegmans [USA supermarket for those that aren't familiar] doing the 600 double packs cheap if there's one near you. Oh the irony.. Wegmans... polaroid ... William Wegman ... err.

Polaroid = Agfa ? Never heard that one.

11. I beleive that the confusion is arising from the fact that in the US, Wal-Mart sells a brand of 35mm film labeled with the Polaroid name. The word on the street is that this 35mm film is made by Agfa.

Never tried it, but it sells for around $0.77 for 24 exposures.

12. Thats kind of ironic that real Polaroid film costs an arm and a leg, but fake Polaroid 35mm is dirt cheap. Go figure.

13. I beleive that the confusion is arising from the fact that in the US, Wal-Mart sells a brand of 35mm film labeled with the Polaroid name. The word on the street is that this 35mm film is made by Agfa.
    Well, it is indeed made by Agfa. In fact to quote the bottom of the box, "Distributed and sold by Agfa Corporation. Film made in Germany ... Polaroid does not manufacture this product or provide any warranty or support.
    So there you have it. I wonder if Agfa, which has been around for decades, felt that the Polaroid name was more marketable than their Agfa name considering they no longer had use of the name Ansco as far as I know. I asked my dad if he remembered the Agfa brand and he said all he remembered was Kodak and Ansco films plus the store brands. Of course as far as the film itself is concerned, it's generally a crap film that's impossible to scan well. My sister uses it in her P&S for snapshots and for that it's an okay cheap film.

14. Agfa makes the Walgreen's studio film, it even says so in the box. The AGFA Vista is the same as walgreens film.

Agfa has filed for chapter 11 and are trying to restructure, this is what the news article says on their website from August 8. APX100 is still available, however not in 120 format, just 35mm. Walgreen is a drug store chain in USA. Read this article:

http://www.agfaphoto.com/en-US/about/press/full-story14/

15. Colin,

CVS is a big drugstore chain here in the US. They are completely taking over...

16. Last I heard, AGFA was a part of Bayer, the drug conglomerate. i can see the chapter 11 though, as their stuff just never cought on here.