Current M6 values...trending up or down?

They will definetely drop when digital comes out. It may take a while for those who can buy the DM without selling one of their other bodies but eventually they will see the prices of the film leicas going down and will realise that they no longer use film and they will then get rid of cameras just sitting arround getting less valuable because they are smart on the money.

Then there are the guys who need to sell some gear to raise cash for the new toys there seems only to be a few of them in Leicaville.

Its seems from the poll I did several weeks ago that lots of guys have built up 4 or more M bodies and might let something go but they mostly just keep adding to their collection and cash is no problem.

Its nice to know how rich the average Leica owner is they are the well to do class and money seems never to be scarce.

i got my second one 2 weeks ago for roughly $1,200. mint and almost new. silver chrome. classic. the ttl version with its alka-seltzer's shutter dial are priced more, but not that high compared to mint classic. the seller was from germany. i tracked the prices of M6s for two months. it dips in the middle of the month but rises near the end. if the bidding ends between morning and evening in the US. expect to pay more. if it ends midnight in the US until early in the morning, expect to pay less. black chrome users are offered for less. you have to wade through a lot of dubious seller though. so be careful. a strong cup of coffee and extra patience also help. goodluck and have fun.

Jury, I salute you! I watch for about 2 weeks, loose my attention, and pick it up again a few months later, only to forget what the going rate is. I still don't have an M6... I have noticed the prices are softer now than 6 months ago. Funny but I can buy a complete Hasselblad 500C/M for the same price as an M6 body. Every day I cange my mind which one to get.

The M6 TTL 0.72 is quite stable, .85 is going down relatively faster ... not sure about .58 ... M7 is all the way down for sure, basically, these serial production cameras have no collection value at all. I can only expect the used price heading further south bound once the digital M hits the streets.

To be honest, if you have more than enough cash ... collect lenses instead of cameras. ;)

"Funny but I can buy a complete Hasselblad 500C/M for the same price as an M6 body. Every day I cange my mind which one to get."

It depends on what you want to shoot. For low light photography, get the Leica. For most other things that don't require fast operation, get the Hasselblad. Better yet, get both!

Leica prices are a one way bet. Screw mount prices have taken a tumble over the last few years and "M" prices are now following. The generation of older collectors just isn't being replaced in sufficient numbers to maintain demand.

It's good news for photographers, but bad news for those that inherit established collections.

Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate the information and your thoughts. Bob's comment about value vs. price is right on the mark. I've also observed M6 prices are indeed going down in recent months. Rare, mint and unusual cameras still seem to sell for hefty sums, but the common user stuff appears to be getting cheaper, no matter what the condition.

I'm one of those thinking of selling an M6 to finance a better digital body (a D200, not the new Leica M digital). I'm using 35mm film less and less, so it's getting harder and harder to justify keeping Leica equipment believing it's going to hold its value in the end. Every time I buy a roll of Velvia and have it developed--the lab I've been using for years here in Miami now charges $12 a roll for processing--I question my sanity.

If the downward trend is a cyclical thing, then I could ride it out hoping for prices to return or at least level off. But, if it's a slow and permanent drop in prices of film-based Leicas, which I suspect it is for all the reasons stated above, then I'm thinking it might be time to sell.

Depending on price and condition, I have a potential buyer if you do decide to sell your M6

Sergio. He recently dumped all of his Contax G gear and is moving to Leica M.

Like me, he wants a film M for B&W, and will be getting a Digital M when they become

available. The Digital M is what persuade him to move to Leica as there will never be a Contax

Digital G.

Click on my name and e-mail me if interested.

Sergio, I'm not sure on the economics and $/cent. But if you happen to have 1 M body only you'd find yourself buying back at some time later if you get to dispose it now. That seems to be the inordinate rule of most Leica owners. I've been through that route before. Somewhat like the "sell now, regret later" syndrome for some reason. Cost factor aside.

Sergio, I know what you are saying about the cost of Velvia and developing and I have felt that too sometimes, but still it is interesting to think about the value of a good photograph, recorded on film. Far more than $20! Digital photography is wonderful and is revitalizing the act of taking a photograph at deeper levels of society than film currently does. But by the very design of its instantly manipulatable nature its use cultivates a pentimento that goes far beyond how we manipulate film. When the technical hub bub and brohaha of digital fades, if it ever does, and the focus returns to well framed extracts of reality, we will have to relearn the cold-forged eye and deliberate act of seeing we first discovered with film.

[sermon ends here]

Queston is complex as always... If you want to invest your money for incoming years, surely there are better ways than an old film camera (or a car) sure it's better to buy houses or supermarkets quotes; but if you use to LOVE Leicas, you can spend some money over it without bad suffering when years will go... every day I realize that I throw away my money... and sure I haven't still stopped it. Leave me the pleasure to hold my M and listen to its sound... and take it with me when I can please... In the world there are worser habits...

Ezio