Current Lightroom and Aperture comparison

Does anybody know of a good review of Lightroom and Aperture that reviews the current versions of each product?

I plan to download each and try them out for myself, but I have found that the experienced users often will

notice things, that I miss since I don't use the software every day (somehow I still have to go to work to earn a

living!) So they often point out things that I would not discover or consider during the review time the

software gives us.

Thanks.

>>> but I have found that the experienced users often will notice things, that I miss since I don't use the software every day (somehow I

still have to go to work to earn a living!)

One major thing that steered me away from Ap was the way it handled localized brush corrections; such as dodge/burn, etc. That

operation is critical for me - I had to drop into photoshop previously with Lightroom 1 - which irked me for something that usually needed a

second adjustment to lighten a face, or burn down a background.

When dodging/burning with Aperture, a large TIFF file is first rendered from the RAW image. You can then paint the dodge/burn edit with a

brush. When you're though dodging/burning, those edits are baked into the TIFF file - forever. The result is you now have an extra TIFF file

hanging around that's large, and you can't go back (either 5 minutes later or 5 months later) to modify or slightly change that edit - you have

to start fresh.

With Lightroom 2, localized brush edits (and there are seven of them) are non destructive. They work as modification instructions on top of

the RAW file. No large TIFF

needs to be rendered (which incurs a delay at the time, and needs to be archived with the RAW). And, any time you want to go back and

either change previous local adjustments, or add new ones, you just do it. Easy...

www.citysnaps.net