current known solutions to the displacement problem

elf

Time to stop screwing the camera to the Tiltall every time I get to a location, but I really resent the displacement problem with verticals. By the

time I've rearranged the tripod the shot is gone.

Has anyone had any serious good experiences with any of the tripod heads that keep the axis of the lens in the same place when turning the

camera from horizontal to vertical?

If you've tried out any of the options, could you tell me about which ones as well? I've been researching but I may have missed some.

Thanks

I have to admit I'm a little confused by your question, but I think you're asking about shooting verticals versus horizontals off the tripod, and how when you switch to a vertical shot, you need to recompose.

Unless you use a lens with a tripod mount (where you just loosen the collar and rotate the camera, lens stays put), then you'll have this issue. Using an "L-bracket" QR plate may help a lot. Really Right Stuff and others make L-brackets for several popular camera models with A/S-type QR plates. They look very nice, but might be a little pricey. RRS is worth the cost, though IMO.

I realize lens collars are a wonderful thing, but short lenses don't seem to be made with them. From my perspective the best conceivable invention, if some engineer were going to spend his/her spare time in the shop, would be some sort of lens collar that worked for Canon and Nikon lenses. Then the problem might be solved.

Also, if someone can elucidate for me how the bracket works, I'd really appreciate it. The descriptions I've read, here and otherwise, don't seem clear and I can't figure it out....

sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

For the L-bracket description the best thing to do is to go the manufacturers web sites (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ - they have pictures which illustrate better than I can explain). But briefly the l-brackt attaches to your camera just like any wuick release plate. Except the l-bracket is just ine big plate that wraps around the side of your camera. If you have your camera on your tripod horizontally and want to switch to vertical you just slide your camera off the tripod, rotate the camera to vertical and slide it back on (instead of flopping your camera over into the groove in your ball head). I may be wrong but I think all the l-bracket solutions are designed for an Arca-Swiss plate system only. But the L-bracket and arca swiss (or Kirrk or RRS equivalent) are worth it.

I have a small amount of doubt about the stability, lack of vibrations etc with a device like the Vertaflip: too many joints, too many cantilevers. This will work for the 1/125 sec exposures, but what about the 1/15 ones? When the shutter vibrations travel down the hardware, all bent out of the way ... Convenient: yes; useful: dubious.

I think for critical photography, there is nothing like the L brackets to keep compositions intact when going landscape <==> portrait. There are just no cantilevers in an L bracket more than 5 mm long ... not like the 50 mm multiple ones with the Stroboframe ...