CS5 to CC- worth it?

<p>It is time to get a new box, and that means a new Photoshop install. My trusty Dell is about 6 years old and has been showing signs of dementia - blue screens, freezing and random powering off. I am fine with getting a replacement as my file size for processing has grown with medium and large format files that exceed 400mb. I also want to reconfigure the computer using a dedicated SSD for the OS, Photoshop and LR, and out of box access/storage.<br />I have worked with Photoshop since PS5 and currently have used CS5 for many years. I would be happy to transfer that program to my new box, but that is not possible because the CS5 I have installed was the result of various upgrades from PS5 over several years. And I understand that the program can not be transferred in whole cloth to my new processor. It appears I can get a new copy of CS5 (legit) for about $150. The subscription based service is about $120 per year. The math only works if there are significant advantages of CC over CS5, and whatever else Adobe offers for incentives. I also use LR for my preliminary processing and have access to a new version of that as a premium for a new camera I purchased. Consequently, are whatever improvements over CS5 that CC offers at present truly worth a decisive increase in cost over time with the subscription-based CC. Thanks for your thoughts.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would be happy to transfer that program to my new box, but that is not possible because the CS5 I have installed was the result of various upgrades from PS5 over several years.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Are you certain you can't transfer? A license is a license - though you may be required to enter the serial number from the version that you upgraded from (all that should be available from your adobe account). I had to install CS6 on a new build; there was no problem whatsoever even though the license for CS6 was from an upgrade path starting with CS4 on a different computer.</p>

<p>Now, for the longest time, I have resisted the move to the subscription model but recently bit the bullet. I still don't like the model one bit; the thought to eternally pay for the use of a piece of software grates on me to no end. But, RAW files from our latest cameras can no longer be processed in CS6 and it was either giving up on adobe altogether (which I would have done if I were the sole decision maker) or cave in. Their DNG converter really isn't a solution (or they could just build the damn thing into their ACR and LR RAW converter).</p>

<p>Now, there are quite a few additions to CS5 made already in CS6, and even more came with the various upgrades to CC. Whether or not any of them are important enough for you to upgrade is something only you can decide. You mention that you have a newer version of LR (I assume its LR6); if that works for you then there might not be a good enough reason to move to photoshop CC.</p>

<p>Thanks, mate. I am with you on the the subscription model which is akin to digital hostage-taking. I have a law office program that I purchased several years ago, and kept up with a yearly service contract. The company decided to withdraw support and required a transition to a subscription based service which costs three times the yearly service contract. Brilliant for them. Not so much for the customer. As for moving the PS program from the old box to the new one, my understanding is that with the upgraded versions, the program must detect, on the new box, an earlier version as an upgrade path just as it did with the initial install. It is likely moot as I can not locate the CS5 disc anyway. Agree with you that the combination of the new LR and CS5 is likely to give me what I want. Actually, this evening I found a sealed extended version on Ebay for $164 - about the same as a year and a half of the subscripted service. <br>

Cheers</p>

<p>The cost of a CC subscription to PS and LR is less than the cost of updating stand-alone copies. If you are still using CS5, that may not be an high priority for you. With CC, you get frequent updates at no additional charge, and new versions when they come out.</p>

<p>I keep the full CC package on two computers, and recently purchased a separate subscription to PS/LR for two laptops, a Lenovo and a MacBookPro. CC programs will continue to work for about 2 months if you drop your subscription or work without access to the internet. Personally, I think PS and LR are worth the equivalent of five rolls of film with processing.</p>

<p>You don't need your original disc with CS products, just the original serial number. You can download the new version and activate it. I think updates are complete programs, not stubs, but I could be wrong. You can have Adobe products installed on up to two computers. If you have a third computer, one of the others must be deactivated online. Adobe has been very helpful when problems arise, including authorizing activations if the old computer is lost for some reason.</p>

<p>If you don't have a secure log of your serial numbers and passwords, make one! I use "Datavault Password Manager,", which synchronizes across all my computers and iOS devices via iCloud.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>my understanding is that with the upgraded versions, the program must detect, on the new box, an earlier version as an upgrade path just as it did with the initial install.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This has not been my experience; during the install, one just needs to provide the serial number of the upgrade and the serial number of the version that is eligible for the upgrade.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Adobe has been very helpful when problems arise, including authorizing activations if the old computer is lost for some reason.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Took me 2 hours on the phone and via live chat to resolve the issue that CS4 did not allow to enter the serial number of an eligible product to authorize the upgrade and finish the install. Since adobe was clearly at fault in that instant, "helpful" is not a word I'd pick to describe them. I could barely avoid having a "case number" assigned and the issue transferred back to the US, which surely would have added more delays into the process.</p>

<p>I have called on Adobe several time for administrative support with excellent results. On the other hand, their response on technical issues has been less than satisfactory. For example, Adobe Media Encoder freezes at random intervals when compiling video under Apple Sierra. It's a three-way firing squad between Apple, InVidia (graphics card) and Adobe.</p>

<p>Products prior to Adobe CS required you to have an original, full copy disc to reinstall the product. You could then install the latest update, skipping any intermediate updates. With CS all you need is the original serial number. With CC, all you need is an active account to load current and legacy products.</p>

<p>The more you know about computers, the harder it is to get answers ;)</p>

<p>I reluctantly made the same jump for much the same reason, but it was an old iMac to new one. I still don't like the subscription model, but am living with it. It has taken a while, but I am working with the CC versions of LR and PS and it is fine. However, it is possible that the plugins you used in CS5 may not work with or be available for CC. That part was a bit frustrating, but like any change -- you learn to move on. I still with I had my 1052 MGTD.</p>

<p>There are many alternatives to Photoshop, and one of these is Gimp, which is entirely free. However much they are "like" Photoshop, they are far less capable. The depth and scope of Photoshop are obvious advantages. Not so obvious is the fact that Adobe products communicate amongst themselves, exchanging files and settings. The most important advantage is the huge number of users, from whom you can seek help and exchange projects. I work with a number of graphic designers with which exchange is an important activity.</p>

<p>Creative Cloud has opened ownership of Photoshop and other Adobe products to a lot more users. When I bought my first stand-alone copy, over 20 years ago, the cost was substantial - nearly $500. That increased over the years to nearly $800, and I was spending nearly $200 every 1-1/2 years for updates. You don't have to be made of money to use the very best photo software available.</p>

<p>I sound like an Adobe salesman, but my motives are innocent. I have no fiduciary association with Adobe. I have used many "like" or "as good as" products over the years, only to find it difficult or impossible to do some things. There are often problems with backward (or sideways) compatibility. The user base is minuscule (by comparison). On several occasions, the product has simply faded away, leaving me with a rapidly aging "solution." Perhaps the adage, "Buy cheap, buy twice" applies to software too.</p>

<p>Affinity may be something of a game changer here, though. Their applications are well thought out, obviously taking cues from PS but not afraid to do things differently. They also interoperate well and are designed as components of a suite. Some things are faster and easier than they are on PS. There aren't any significant missing features for my needs, though of course your mileage may vary - e.g., raw processing isn't competitive with ACR and there's not yet anything to replace Lightroom (though a DAM application is on the roadmap).</p>

<p>I can see the CC rental model suits a lot of people, though for us it amounts to a big price hike - we'd need a full subscription to replace the old CS Design Standard suite, and the annual charge under the terms of our (academic) site licence costs about the same as the old CS DS perpetual licence (which we might not have upgraded for the ~5 year lifespan of a PC). Affinity is going to be pretty popular around here.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Their DNG converter really isn't a solution (or they could just build the damn thing into their ACR and LR RAW converter).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It IS built int Lightroom and has been pretty much from day one. ACR can save a DNG too.<br /> Now, if you have an OLDER version of either, and a NEWER camera that it doesn't support, because those bad camera manufacturers are always slightly changing their raw formats with every new camera, for no reason, then you would need the DNG converter which too, would have to be <strong>updated</strong> to understand this new raw file.</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>Their DNG converter really isn't a solution (or they could just build the damn thing into their ACR and LR RAW converter).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No kidding. And furthermore, if it was built in and people didn't have to download it separately, dng might actually gain traction instead of waning.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Now, for the longest time, I have resisted the move to the subscription model but recently bit the bullet. I still don't like the model one bit; the thought to eternally pay for the use of a piece of software grates on me to no end. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I love it, actually. It's much easier to install and jump to different computers with it. Best though is that before the subscription CC model, Adobe stock was $35. Now it's $112! I'd buy more ABDE as Adobe just announced that they will be releasing their mobile apps on the Google Chromebooks and for free! This is kind of a big deal. Do I need to say IMHO?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You misunderstood what Dieter said.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As is often the case, <strong>you</strong> misunderstood what I said and the facts behind what each product can do with respect to DNG; they (Adobe) could and <strong>did</strong> build the damn thing into ACR and LR. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>You misunderstood what Dieter said.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wasn't very clear, apparently. I wasn't talking about saving as DNG but opening/converting a RAW file (even one that isn't supported by ACR/LR). I get a new camera and my older version of ACR/LR can't deal with it. Yet, a DNG converter is made available to convert the RAW file to DNG and then I can open that DNG file in my old ACR/LR version. Just adds a step to the workflow. So why can't I get a that same new DNG converter as part of ACR/LR and could do an update and save that additional step? All I want is to eliminate that extra step.I had to deal with this once before when using a Sony NEX cameras; it was a royal pain in the neck to deal with.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>because those bad camera manufacturers are always slightly changing their raw formats with every new camera, for no reason</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hmmh, so adobe can get me a DNG converter that reads that file without issue but not ACR? <br>

I found it quite petty from adobe to update LR6's RAW converter but leave CS6 ACR behind; they could at least have been kept in sync. After all, I paid a lot more for CS6 than for LR6. Problem is, I don't like LR at all; I hate to have to wait for the import that adds no functionality for me and I very much prefer the look and feel of ACR over that of the LR develop module.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I love it, actually.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What I don't like is the following: before subscription, I paid $600 for CS4, then updated to CS5 and CS6 at $199 a pop (mostly because of the confusing information adobe released regarding eligibility for upgrades). Once I paid for the license, the program is mine to use as long as I want (with the caveat that I don't get updates and can't easily deal with new cameras). Now, with the subscription model, I can pay for 10 or 20 years and once I stop paying, after some grace period, I have NOTHING! Can't process a single image with a program I paid thousands of dollars for over the years. I might then revert back to CS6, and if I faithfully saved my images as TIFF (and not as PSD), I might even be able to open them again.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I wasn't talking about saving as DNG but opening/converting a RAW file (even one that isn't supported by ACR/LR). I get a new camera and my older version of ACR/LR can't deal with it. Yet, a DNG converter is made available to convert the RAW file to DNG and then I can open that DNG file in my old ACR/LR version. Just adds a step to the workflow.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Here's how it works. A new camera is introduced and it's raw file has been changed since the last, only a bit. This format has to be hacked by all manufacturers so they can access that data. Adobe had to get a copy of that new raw file and decide the tiny differences and update BOTH the DNG converter and every product they support (LR and ACR). This is true for all raw converter companies. <br>

When Adobe updates ACR or LR they also update the FREE DNG converter. This is to allow people like David to convert and then use the DNG in older copies of ACR like he has in CS5. He is not forced to upgrade his copy of Photoshop and ACR to access this data. But the facts are, both the free DNG converter OR any newer copy of ACR or LR also have to be updated too. IF you subscribe to the Adobe plan, your updated copy will support the newer proprietary raw file. So all this is a lot of work for Adobe and every raw converter software company and it's rather pointless (you'll note, the second a new camera comes to market, it's JEPG can be read but not it's proprietary raw; until everyone hacks the new format so this is rather pointless). <br>

FACT: ACR and LR can convert a proprietary raw it supports, to DNG. This IS built into both ACR and LR. Just like the DNG converter. However, IF you had all three today, and tomorrow, Canon or Nikon released a new camera, NONE would support that raw file. Nor would any other companies converters. The day ACR or LR updates support for this new camera, it can open the proprietary raw and of course, convert it to DNG because this is built into the products. And the DNG converter would also ship so people like Dave can convert and use that raw file in an older version of ACR or LR. <br>

The fact is simply this: converting to DNG, either to support a newer camera in an older product OR to use the advantages to the format, and there are many, is built into all Adobe raw converters. Specific support for a raw from a specific camera only takes place after Adobe gets their hands on a raw to figure out what (and again why) the file changed so they can update all three products. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>So why can't I get a that same new DNG converter as part of ACR/LR and could do an update and save that additional step?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There is no 'additional' step in LR other than asking it to convert upon import. <br>

Now the question photographers who care about this silliness should be be asking is this:<br>

WHY does the manufacturers change their raws for every new camera and not provide at least a beta sample to the manufacturers so we don't have to wait for them to support all their converters? <br>

WHY isn't there a switch on the cameras that has a 3rd option:DNG? Like we have for JPEG. If that were the case, no conversions to a file format some of us prefer over a proprietary raw. <br>

But for those who do not want to use DNG but want access to the proprietary raws, as David would need using ACR in CS5 in say a new Canon, he has to convert to DNG. And that is completely due to the camera manufacturers. And again, <strong>the facts are, the ability to convert to DNG is built into both ACR and LR.</strong></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hmmh, so adobe can get me a DNG converter that reads that file without issue but not ACR?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, because Adobe isn't going to update ACR from Photoshop 7 because hundreds of newer camera have been released since that all have different proprietary raws for no reason. And the reason there are perhaps hundreds of new and different raws since Photoshop 7 is due to the camera manufacturers. Do you know how much JPEG has changed since Photoshop 7? Not a lick. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I found it quite petty from adobe to update LR6's RAW converter but leave CS6 ACR behind; they could at least have been kept in sync.<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>The same <strong>versions</strong> will be on parity for support of raws but not necessarily on the same day or even week (two teams developing two products). IOW, LR6 gets updates for new cameras as does ACR and both will support the same cameras. Perpetual license holders will <strong>not</strong> get new features but <strong>will</strong> get bug fixes and cameras support for a time after which a new version will ship (say version 6.5 or 7), then the line is drawn in the sand, just like it was with Photoshop 7, then CS, the CS2 etc. For those people, Adobe does NOT force them to upgrade to use new cameras. The provide the FREE DNG converter. <br>

Bottom line: IF Adobe releases a version of the free DNG converter to support a new camera, they will update ACR and LR to do the same but it may not happen simultaneously. It often does and you can see this at the DNG converter download page. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>if it was built in and people didn't have to download it separately, dng might actually gain traction instead of waning.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And yet, on this planet,<strong> it IS built-in</strong>. On <em>Planet Eric,</em> within the unreality bubble of alternative facts, <em>maybe</em> not. ON this planet, both ACR and LR <strong>can</strong> convert a proprietary raw <strong>to</strong> DNG just like the free DNG Converter IF and only IF it has been updated to support the newer proprietary raw which the manufacturers love to alter for every new release. IF neither ACR nor LR nor the free DNG converter yet support the new camera, what's built in is moot; they do not understand this new raw file (yet). And there's little reason why manufacturers need to produce this condition for a few week/months not only for Adobe but EVERY 3rd party raw converter. <br /> <br /> IF ACR and LR SUPPORT that newer camera, it will open the proprietary raw.<br /> IF ACR and LR SUPPORT that newer camera, it will CONVERT the proprietary raw to DNG <strong>if</strong> one desires.</p>

<p><strong>The ability to convert to DNG IS built into both LR and ACR on Planet Earth. </strong><br /> I don’t know if you are purposely trying not to understand this, or if you are really struggling with it. But that's a consistent behavior from<em> Planet Eric. </em></p>

<p>Getting back to facts from this planet, for Dave, some of the more useful new features IMHO for photographers <strong>from</strong> CS 5 are:<br>

Content Aware Tools: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/content-aware-patch-move.html<br>

ACR as a filter (on individual layers too): https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/camera-raw-filter.html<br>

ACR itself has undergone lots of new functionally. PV2012 alone is worth the upgrade! </p>

<p>I doubt supporting a new raw format is a particularly onerous task for a company with the resources of Adobe. Making a new Camera Matching profile probably takes them longer, and for me a camera is not fully supported until this is available. Raw changes are often trivial, sometimes no more than a different string in the Model tag, especially for incremental updates of cameras from the same manufacturer that share the same sensor. Dave Coffin has been updating dcraw singlehandedly for well over a decade, and his code supports every significant raw format in 10k lines of C.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I doubt supporting a new raw format is a particularly onerous task for a company with the resources of Adobe.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes and no. It's time consuming for Adobe and <strong>all</strong> other companies, big and small, who make raw converters. They still have to hack the format which is pretty trivial (I've spoken to the engineers about this). Then they have to build cross platform installers. Then they have to seed this to both outside beta testers (I am one) and internal Q&E to test. They have to update the web pages. They have to inform their users about all this. <strong>This takes unnecessary time and resources!</strong><br>

So yes, while it's not '<em>big engineering</em>' it's still pointless! It delays you and I and others who <em>may</em> have a new camera, from using the raw converter they desire. But not a JPEG we don't use.<strong> It's a pointless waste of time</strong>; Nikon, Canon and others are not hiding anything, the new proprietary raws are eventually decoded and supported so what's the point? <br>

<br>

Why not either send a pre released raw to anyone who creates a raw converter and signs an NDA and let them get access to the new proprietary raw <strong>before release</strong>, so they can have support the day the camera ships? Or just create an openly documented raw format? Or have a switch to optionally create a DNG? <br>

<br>

The current behavior from camera manufacturers doesn't serve customers well; the raw is OUR data. They have no problem with a JPEG, why go through this silly dance every time a new camera comes out? <br>

<br>

Worse, photographers who <em>should</em> be upset by this silliness, don't make a stink and the manufacturers don't care if this affects Adobe or anyone else who writes a raw converter. So we photographers can get on the bus and complain and complain or, do the opposite, dismiss DNG or the idea of an openly documented raw. Now what good does that do us? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why not either send a pre released raw to anyone who creates a raw converter and signs an NDA and let them get access to the new proprietary raw <strong>before release</strong>, so they can have support the day the camera ships?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oddly enough, the last two cameras I bought, the Nikon D800 and the Fuji X100T, were both supported by ACR either before or at the time they were available in the shops, at least where I live:<br>

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/adobe-camera-raw-6-7-and-dng-converter-6-7-available-on-adobe-labs.html<br>

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/26/2749019/nikon-d800<br>

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/11/camera-raw-8-7-and-dng-converter-8-7-now-available.html<br>

http://www.fujixseries.com/forums/topic/7798-uk-release-date/<br>

This suggests Adobe is getting relatively early access to raw files, at least from some major manufacturers.</p>

<p> </p>