<p>Iv just got CS5 and never having used any CS before (PSE and LR up to this point) I was looking into which texts would help me out initially. I got the general impression that Evening's CS5 book doesn't cater to the complete novice and decided that the "Classroom in a Book" by Adobe themselves would be a better option.</p>

<p>M. Evening's book is not for the faint of heart and NOT geared to 99% of the beginner crowd. there is a small group of beginners that could take away everything the book offers but the VAST majority would be overwhelmed by the amount of information that actually 'reading' it would be. It's much better as a reference tome</p>

<p>Swaroop - CS5 is the way to go but it ain't easy. Take it slowly!</p>

<p>Howard - Agreed! Evening's book is certainly not for the faint hearted but I think it makes an excellent reference tome and probably should be bought but then allied to a much simpler primer. It would be nice to get DVD's with actual films of people using CS5 (slowly!). You Tube does have some such under 'what's new in CS5'.<br>

I am still looking at Amazon UK and may buy the Scott Kelby book plus Brilliant PS by Steve Johnson.<br>

The problem with people who explain complex things is that they usually start with all kinds of assumptions about people's skills which they don't have! My heart sinks just to look at the CS5 screen knowing what it can do and I can't do it!</p>