CS5 memory release

<p>I am using CS5 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. I was looking at memory usage today and noticed that memory is not released when files are closed. For example, I was editing a large panorama. Task Manager was showing 5.4 GB of memory used while the photo was open. When I closed all images in CS5, Task Manager showed 5.4 GB of memory usage. I thought that was odd. I closed CS5 and memory usage went down to 1.5 GB.<br>

Is there a way to have CS5 release memory when a file is closed? Maybe a Cache setting?<br>

Thanks,<br>

pat</p>

<p>Windows does have a memory cache management system. CleanMem can let you utilize it by asking Windows to ask the program if it has any memory to give back.<br /> http://www.majorgeeks.com/CleanMem_d5993.html<br /> I use this program. It's tiny, runs in the background, and I have mine set to clean the memory every 5 minutes (default is 30 minutes). You can also right click the icon in the notification area and "Clean Memory" at any time. This program is different than other programs as it doesn't just shuffle data to the page file. That really doesn't speed things up much.</p>

<p>With all that said, if it's normal for PS to retain that memory then this won't do anything, but the plus side is that it's not going to crash something when you're in the middle of an edit.</p>