CS5 computer specs

<p>I am looking to buy a new computer and need some feedback. It will be a PC. CS5 and my CAD program KeyCreator will be the most demanding uses. I am inclined to go with an Intel Core 7 because it is only slightly more than a Core 5. I want a GeForce video card. What will I get for under $ 1000.00 that meets these requirements? Probably a 500 Gig hard drive for OS and a 1TB hard drive for data. Any feedback would be welcome.</p>

<p>I would get a fast Solid State Drive for OS and PS(and your CAD program).<br>

A fast MB. A fast processor. And lots of fast memory.<br>

I wouldn't worry too much about size of onboard harddrive, a 500Gb would be fine for me. And a USB hard drive or two for off computer storage.</p>

<p>Honestly, PS requires very little in the way of video card. You may want that for your CAD program, I suppose. What I would do with that is keep your present box for server rendering for that program(if that's what you do).</p>

<p>That sounds like a powerful machine. Just make sure you're using 6 GB of RAM or more, and I suggest a fast processor. i7 is great, but the quad-core i5 is good too. No need to get crazy. It won't be much faster anyway. Hard drive speeds are the main bottle-neck these days. That's why it makes sense to get a solid-state hard drive. Make sure you go 64 bit, if you can. (Some things won't work right under Windows 7 64 bit yet, but most seem to work just fine.)<br>

-<br>

This HP looks like it might fit the bill:<br>

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883157043<br>

-<br>

Of course, if you're ready to spend more money, check out this machine:<br>

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108591<br>

-<br>

This was just a quick search I did at one site. Check Buy and Tiger Direct too, of course. I would always check Best Buy and BandH too, if I were you.<br>

-<br>

I suggest you get a computer that has an empty slot, so you can add a couple of USB 3.0 ports. I can't believe these computers STILL don't have USB 3.0 ports!<br>

-<br>

If you have a CompUSA local to you, you may be able to find a good deal there, though their stock is probably very low right now, after the Thanksgiving weekend. March and April are really the best months to be looking for good deals on computers. If you can wait, I would suggest you do so.</p>

<p>I second a 64-bit OS. I bought a HP Media Center machine 3 1/2 years ago now. It came with Vista (yuck) so I spent the first couple of days removing that (and it's a beast to do!). The machine now runs XP 64-bit with 4GB RAM. I routinely open up to 30 images at a go for some batch processing and CS5 churns through them no problem. I have an AMD dual core processor. I agree with others; processor speed in real terms is secondary to RAM.</p>

<p>Don't underestimate storage space! Especially if you're generating large CAD files. I got my PC with 500GB, had to buy an additional 1TB less than 1 year later, then an external 1.5TB drive this year. I also have 2 more external drives for backup purposes.</p>

<p>Finally, I <em>strongly </em>encourage you to budget for a higher end monitor as well. S-IPS panels are better for colour fidelity. Search these threads for monitor discussions. Lots of useful info.</p>

<p>Let us know how you get on.</p>