CS3 error "Not enough space..."

<p>I was doing a HDR file from 3 x 8MB CR2 files. I checked my Preferences and my scratch disk is set to my D drive which has 147 GB free. My C drive only has 1.9 GB. Even so if some part of CS3 is using the C drive I would think 1.9 GB would be plenty to produce a 50 MB file. Does anyone know what might be causing this error and where I would go to resolve it?<br>

Full errror:<br>

The operation could not be completed.<br>

Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.</p>

<p>thanks,<br>

pat </p>

<p><em>My C drive only has 1.9 GB (free)<br /> </em></p>

<p>You need to fix that.<em> </em> I've got nothing on my C drive that isn't software, applications or OS. If yours is the same, get a bigger drive (sorry)... t</p>

<p>If this is Windows, maybe move the Windows swap file to the D drive. And remember that there's a lot more going on than 50MB of data. Extra copies are made for undo purposes, extra layers are created for merging, etc. And remember that if you have less than 15% of your drive free (in Windows), you can't even defrag the drive - not good.</p>

<p>Tom and Thomas are right, 1.9GB just isn't enough for your PC to run efficiently, even without Photoshop. You should have at least 120GB free space, and more would be better. You should upgrade your hard drive. Before upgrading, check with your PC maker to see which type of drive you need and the maximum size that the motherboard willl recognize. There are some other things you can do before that:<br>

Look in Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs to see what programs are there that you don't need and never use, and delete them. Manufacturers typically load a bunch of crap onto the hard drive that you never use but take up disk space.</p>

<p>In My Computer, right click on your C drive icon, open Properties and run Disk Cleanup. This basically empties all the wastebaskets.</p>

<p>Also My Computer>Properties>, click on the Tools tab and click on Defragment Now. If you've never done this before, go ahead and click on Defragment. This procedure doesn't gain any additional disk space, it just organizes and compacts your file so that read/write times are reduced. I usually run Defragment every couple of weeks if there is a lot of red showing, even if windows tells me I don't need to.</p>

<p>But, back to topic #1: Upgrade that drive!</p>

Boy, doesn’t that speak volumes of how far we have come with computers, when 1.9GB is not enough! I remember using my Commodore Vic20 with the cassette tape drive for backup wishing I had the 1541 floppy drive, when I finally got it, I was very happy!

Then later merging over to a 286SX with 1M RAM, ½ M video card and a 20M HDD, had room for days, thinking I could never use all that space! Now sitting here with a 2G AMD64 CPU, ASUS MB, 128M video card, 1G RAM, 1.55TB HDD, 70W 80% PS, planning my upgrade next year because mine just don’t cut it any more!

~Jack

<p>Jack, our age is showing! Mine was a Tandy (Radio Shack) TRS-80 with 64KB RAM and cassette tape storage. The 5 1/4-inch floppy drives were cutting edge technology I lusted after. I learned to write BASIC software and did some statistical programs for work. Ah, the good old days......</p>